Author Topic: Average horsepower needed to reach 200mph at Bonneville with a full size truck?  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Maicojoe

• New folks
Just a quick question for the guys that have already done this.... on average, for a full size, standard cab truck, specifically a 1995 Dodge with standard bed, what would be a reasonable horsepower needed to reach 200 mph at Bonneville? No real mods to the truck?s body other than to remove the side mirrors, and possibly a front spoiler to keep air from going under the truck and causing lift, and the same for the rear, a bed cover and small spoiler to keep the back end planted for traction. The 1st gen Dodge Ram trucks, just looking at them, they look quite a bit more aerodynamic than say my 2006 Dodge truck? 

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118

Offline deepindebt

Your wallet equals your HP,so make as much HP as you can afford and take it from there.So much more that goes into flat out speed but the money to make the DEPENDABLE HP is huge!
327,B/GR

Offline jimmy six

Go back and get a 49-53 long bed. Spend your 401K and max out 2 credit cards and that will get you close. . . . . . maybe
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jacksoni

Other than the bring money answers you have gotten a rough guess might be: 0.45 Cd. Could be less and there are legal things you can do, depending on class that can help that. Frontal area 34sqft (stock 72" tall, 80"wide more or less. usually take 85% of that for rounded corners.) Lowering the truck definitely helps and will lower the frontal area a lot as the above is the advertised height). I used 4500lbs in the Wallace calculator. That gives range of 850hp. I'd say add a hundred to that to actually accelerate reasonably. Quick playing with Bonneville Pro suggests will need more but I'd need to spend some time to put decent inputs into it.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ronnieroadster

If you look at a few current records over 200 MPH set with a Dodge full size truck.  The engines of choice are older Nascar type. Which average at least 850HP.  Not spinning out during the run has been one of the areas that even the best combinations seem to have issues with at times.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wobblywalrus

This might probably almost certainly be what us bike guys deal with.  A sit on bike with a rider in upright position is sorta like a full size pick up truck.  Somewhere around 180 or 190 mph is the fast the combination can go.  The big frontal area puts the CP to far ahead of the CG.  It is a marginally stable combination at best.  No amount of added power can cure the problem.  The 150 club might be a good goal.     

Offline Stan Back

I'd rather spin in a full size pickup with a cage than spin on a bike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
"Quick playing with Bonneville Pro suggests will need more but I'd need to spend some time to put decent inputs into it."

Talk to Bernie Brown with the big red truck from Texas

Some of the Dodge records a b'ville were set with tailwinds so high that the course should have been shut down---- YMMV
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:14:47 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Big Tim would probably tell ya to keep adding boost till you get there....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Maicojoe

• New folks
Thanks to all that responded, much appreciated. The horsepower is pretty easy to achieve with a 5.9 Cummins, 1000 WHP nowadays is pretty achievable, and still be actually streetable to drive everyday. The technology and aftermarket parts are what makes that fairly easy. The cost for a 1000 hp 5.9 Cummins is about $15k, but it will last 100k miles if properly done. The part that worries me is what some of you are saying is a full sized pickup truck is inherently unstable at speed.... hmm, how does a Craftsman NASCAR truck stay stable at  200mph? Aren?t they ?roughly? a full size truck? Granted, they are lowered, have good front and rear spoilers with a tonneau cover, and probably a partial under body pan. All something that is pretty easy to accomplish with my truck. Heck, I bought brand new, and still own, a 2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 truck, stock it was 500hp, I added about 50hp via exhaust, custom ECM tune, and a CAI. At 550hp, it does exactly 160mph before the rev limiter cuts in, with an old style 4spd automatic that is stock, both on the street and on the dyno. Granted, that?s on pavement, but that truck is no way as slippery as my 95 Cummins, just eyeballing the two next to each other. I definitely need to do more research, there is no sense in building an unstable rig. Thanks again to all that responded. Joe

Offline Maicojoe

• New folks
This is what I?ve wanted since I first read about this Cummins sponsored truck back in 1997.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodge/ram-2500/1997/1997-dodge-ram/?galleryImageId=1331851

Offline Maicojoe

• New folks
My 1995 Dodge Cummins

Offline Maicojoe

• New folks
My 2005 Dodge SRT10 truck that does 160mph on pavement. My 1995 truck just looks like it has better aerodynamics.

Offline RansomT

how does a Craftsman NASCAR truck stay stable at  200mph? Aren?t they ?roughly? a full size truck?

Far from it.  They are a Steel Tube Frame vehicle that has nothing in common with a production truck.  Think NASCAR car with truck sheet metal.

And for your speeds that you are quoting...how is that determined?   PLUS, in the motorcycle world, it takes about 200 wHP with stockish fairings to go 200.  It takes 450-500 wHP to go 250 mph.  At speed it typically takes not twice the HP to go twice the speed but squared or more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:44:58 PM by RansomT »