Author Topic: Meeting result  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Meeting result
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
That's the absolute best post you've ever made, J.D.

We've both got our Red Hats ? and we've both driven there, said Hello and driven home ? probably more than once.  We were chancing on the weather ? and it didn't work.  There was no threat to us our our family and crew, so we turned around and said, "Maybe next year."

It happens.  As Cree said (I think), "We're not going to Disneyland this year."  Doesn't mean it will be closed next year.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:57:11 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mike f

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 08:41:54 PM »
Hi to all,  been reading all the posts on will it happen, they are all good.  I first came to the salt in 2004 and got salt fever.  Have helped many people reach their goal and made many friends, but some thing to think about.  Someone said if you don't feel safe don't come, well that is nice but did you ever hear of peer pressure?  I'm already feeling it and that is not right.  As much as I love the salt I love being a first responder on our VFD where I live.  I have seen this virus hit and when your told after a run to wash your cloths and take a shower then wait for test results it becomes real.  We also have to talk about the good people of Wendover, what if one of us brings it in, what if your on the line ready to run and the track is shut down because they have to take someone to Salt Lake City.  Wendover has no ICU beds I think and then how do they trace it?  Do we all have to shelter for 2 weeks.  Just some food for thought

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
Anyone thinking about going to Hot August Nights in Reno before going to
Speed-week can forget it, as they have cancel the event until 2021.

"Hot August Nights Postpones 34th Event Until 2021
Ongoing COVID-19 Concerns for Volunteer and Participant Safety is the Priority"

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Online jl222

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 11:56:03 PM »
Hi to all,  been reading all the posts on will it happen, they are all good.  I first came to the salt in 2004 and got salt fever.  Have helped many people reach their goal and made many friends, but some thing to think about.  Someone said if you don't feel safe don't come, well that is nice but did you ever hear of peer pressure?  I'm already feeling it and that is not right.  As much as I love the salt I love being a first responder on our VFD where I live.  I have seen this virus hit and when your told after a run to wash your cloths and take a shower then wait for test results it becomes real.  We also have to talk about the good people of Wendover, what if one of us brings it in, what if your on the line ready to run and the track is shut down because they have to take someone to Salt Lake City.  Wendover has no ICU beds I think and then how do they trace it?  Do we all have to shelter for 2 weeks.  Just some food for thought

HELL NO what a fantasy story.

jl222

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 01:02:00 AM »
There's something endearing but also out-of-touch about this pervasive cult of devil-may-care individualism in the American character where heroes fight as outsiders against overwhelming odds, throwing caution to the wind. It's this fictional ideal that brought me to the U.S. of A., 43 years ago - and now I can't leave, even if I wanted to. Who knew?

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 01:16:15 AM »
... cases everywhere are going up...
No, not everywhere. New infections are continuing to decline here, both upstate and in NYC. But... that could change. Most of us continue to "distance & mask", but I'm annoyed by the considerable number who act like it's "over & done".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
For those of you that haven't recieved the email...here it is.....

To All,
The ?image? of SCTA has been brought into question in a recent statement sent to the SCTA Board.
Let me reassure each and every one of you that the ?image? & integrity of the SCTA is first and
foremost on our minds in every decision that we make. The membership has voted to have Bill Lattin
& myself lead the SCTA for the last 6 years running. We have been through countless interviews and
news conferences. In each of those, we have strived to maintain the image and integrity of the SCTA.
This situation is no different.
We started this endeavor just like we always do. First, we contacted the local health department to
obtain our ?Mass Gathering? permit. Obviously knowing we are in the midst of a pandemic; we were
hoping for the best. They asked us to submit our stipulations, which we did. They informed us a short
time later that our plan had been approved. Excited with that we moved on to the BLM for our use
permits. They also quickly approved our plan. All outstanding news at this point.
Knowing that because of the pandemic our entries and volunteers would be affected, we sent out a
survey to our workers asking certain questions. To date we have received over 100 surveys. More than
80% have answered that they are ready, willing and able to attend and work.
We know there are people who will choose not to attend, and we totally understand and applaud their
honesty. This is not an easy choice to make and we all know that. It?s hard to say no while others are
going and I know that feeling of being left behind. That is 100% not the case here. There are many
reasons for not attending & they are all personal choice. Once again, we understand and applaud you
for making that difficult choice.
Please know that this has not been an easy choice to make with people wanting to go and people not
wanting to go. We weigh our decision every day. Workers are ready to go, entrants are ready to go,
permits are in place and courses groomed are all very positive signs to proceed. On the other hand, we
have people not wanting to go, not wanting us to have the event and people thinking we are making
bad decisions. Please know that we go over & over every decision one at a time. As always, we put
safety at the top of our list be it for the racers, workers, volunteers and anyone else attending the event.
If anything changes concerning the COVID-19 virus we will quickly move to do whatever is necessary
up to and including cancelling the event. As was said earlier, safety is first and foremost on our minds.
In closing, for those who decide to attend please keep in mind, it?s up to ALL of us to keep everyone
safe so let?s all do our part to make this event as safe as possible. To anyone who does not feel safe,
simply don?t come, we totally understand. Thank you all for your time.

Pat McDowell
BNI Chairman

Bill Lattin
SCTA President

Offline JR529

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
I am a volunteer and responded to the question asking if I am going to work as a tentative yes.

But I have to admit I question one thing, and that is how are we going to act with any sort of safety at the starting line? How exactly does a starter clear you to run without practically getting into the car with you to pull on all your belts, check your helmet strap, arm restraints, neck restraint, fire bottle pins, everything? The driver will already be in their helmet and breathing hard and they definitely wont have a mask on. I understand how we can mitigate risks during almost all of the event but I don't see what can be done for that one.

Genuinely asking.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »
Even tho I am a fan of our starting line procedures, perhaps it?s time for the drivers and his team to assure the driver is ready. NASCAR  USAC, INDY, NHRA starters don?t. The doors, canopy, etc would be open for starter communication If needed.

To me the most important thing a driver needs to know is where he is going: 3 mile short course or 5 mile long course and which way to turn off. 

My thoughts on your question. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »
I speak for myself and maybe a few others in the same boat- I am past the 'a little long in the tooth' era of my life ,so between losing years to poor salt/rain-outs etc, I see ANY chance to run as worth the risk-hell, everytime we climb into one of these hotrods, we are gambling our life ! As has been mentioned before, it's not a mandatory thing, if you aren't comfortable, don't attend. I, for one appreciate the hard work that all the volunteers and officials do, and don't want to endanger anybody. But if they choose to attend, we are all grown aduts! Ok, I'm done! Stay safe all ! :cheers: 1drink

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »
JR529, the driver will be wearing a balaclava that is something of a mask and helmets are all full face so drivers are the least of the starters worry. He may want all crew to stand back 10 feet or so while he checks out driver safety equipment. I think this part can be handled safely.

John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
A vote by the BNI board tonite from what I have heard from our club on Bonneville. Hoping for good news...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 02:40:44 PM »
From our club...
Hi All.
Bill Lattin needs our help. Speed Week is on the chopping block at tonights board meeting. If you want Bonneville to happen, contact all the board members
before their meeting. Their contact information is in your 2020 SCTA rule book on pages 205 through 207.
Email all of them to let them to let them know we want to go racing.
There is plenty of room for social distancing and we wear masks, it?s outside so much safer and so on.
Want to go racing? get off your couch and do some emailing or phone calling.

In case your interested in commenting...
blattin69@gmail.com, splashngo39@yahoo.com, allanas@socal.rr.com, jillycallen@hotmail.com, scott709mattern@gmail.com, cartechscta@gmail.com, mike.kaehny@ymail.com, jpc.3574@gmail.com, keith@whitegoosebar.com, rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org, rick@exileturbo.com, dieselsalttoy@aol.com, ron@speeddemon.us, rodly@roadrunner.com, pacificshoresgirl@gmail.com, gogogidgetracing@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 02:52:42 PM by Happy Pappy »
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
  TO MANY ADDRESSES  ,  MY ANSWER IS  ( YESSS )  LETS DO THIS !!!!     STEVE  ANDERSON    TUCSON AZ..

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
as a fairly new guy , two events running , lots of years getting ready , and observing ,  im all for going . as stated above , maybe it is time for drivers and crew to take responsibility making sure there driver is buckled in and all other saftey gear is in order. I keep a quick check list on a clip board for my crew ( wifey ) to run down before the hatch is closed . with locations for fire bottle pins , so at a quick glance can see all is in order. rookie drivers and crew maybe needing a little help , I know I surely did the first couple times , lot of stuff to remember.  on the salt is probably the easiest place to distance . I wanna go .