Author Topic: Pinion coupler for GM 7.5 rear  (Read 3790 times)

Offline metermatch

Pinion coupler for GM 7.5 rear
« on: June 24, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knew if/where I could find a pinion coupler for a GM 7.5 rear end?  Car is a RMR with XO engine, currently trans has a coupler direct to a Ford 9" rear.  I was thinking I could solve a number of problems at once by going to a GM 7.5 rear to save some friction loss, get taller gears than available for a Ford 9" for my low rpm motor, and also remove about 8" in width from the rear end at the same time.

Anybody have any other ideas on how to do this, short of a 3" driveshaft length u joint to u joint if it were to even exist?

What is the bare minimum driveshaft length possible, if I were to move the rear end back a few inches and use a standard yoke on the 7.5 rear?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Pinion coupler for GM 7.5 rear
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »
I think B&J  made some I had 2 made but I do not want to sell mine.  Sid  Kiwi belly tank knows about them.  welcome to the GM 7.5 admariation society
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 12:39:31 AM »
If you're not running suspension the Greek Couplers will work. I had Mike at B&J custom build some for me so he can make them to order for your 7.5 10 bolt. The part number is B&J-SID.
If you want to run a U-joint, there is an early 2000's Sonoma that has a flat flange. I have one here that's surplus to my requirements if you want it.
  Sid. 

Offline metermatch

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 02:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  I will call B&J tomorrow.

While on the subject, is there a difference in efficiency between a coupler and a driveshaft? Any other advantages/ disadvantages between the two for a solid, no suspension type installation, other than the obvious car configuration space limitations?  Is a coupler hard on trans or differential bearings/seals?

Are couplers lubed?  I just did major maintenance on a Honda Goldwing GL1500 I just bought, and the shaft drive parts have splines.  Honda requires a special high moly content paste (65%+) applied to the splines, apparently this stuff really sticks to the splines.  Is something similar needed for a spline coupler installation?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline metermatch

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
I spoke with Mike at B&J transmission today.  He thinks he has a GM 7.5 pinion coupler somewhere or will make one for me.  Probably be 2-4 weeks, as he can fit it in, cost probably around $125.  If anyone else would like one, call him now.  He seems like a good guy to work with.

Jeff

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
IF you work at it you can fit the coupler where you can rattle it when you are stationary-- there then should hardly be any difference in the parasitic loss.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Burk

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »
I have a couple of 7 1/2 10 bolt 2.14 ring and pinions of anybody needs them .

joyseydevil@comcast.net

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  I will call B&J tomorrow.

While on the subject, is there a difference in efficiency between a coupler and a driveshaft? Any other advantages/ disadvantages between the two for a solid, no suspension type installation, other than the obvious car configuration space limitations?  Is a coupler hard on trans or differential bearings/seals?

Are couplers lubed?  I just did major maintenance on a Honda Goldwing GL1500 I just bought, and the shaft drive parts have splines.  Honda requires a special high moly content paste (65%+) applied to the splines, apparently this stuff really sticks to the splines.  Is something similar needed for a spline coupler installation?

Thanks,

Jeff
I presume you're talking about the male/female connection of the Greek Couplers. The alignment of trans & pinion need to be perfect so there is no binding obviously. Most people run them dry without any problem but if you're going to grease it that might be a salt trap.
 Mike is cool, he & his whole family are Bonneville racers.
  Sid.

Offline metermatch

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »
Good idea about using NO grease because it will be a salt trap.  I will work extra hard to just get the alignment done right the first time.

Are there any things I should look for or which vehicles to get an axle from in the junkyard?  Any particular years?  I am going to have to narrow it to about 50" any rear I get, so stock width is not a factor

Which vehicles might have a posi, and should I run it?  I don't think spools are available.  Is it worth getting a 28 spline over a 26 spline?  I assume aftermarket axles are a good idea?

Are those heavy cast aluminum covers with the two screws that push against the main caps worth getting?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
Regarding the posi ? it's like the 2-party system.  Take your chances on getting it right in my opinion.

I put one in to make a record-qualifying run.  Made it to the three.  Got a spectacular view of the whole lakebed.

Changed to the one-leg ? went record-record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline metermatch

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »
I have heard similar accounts, but why?  Is it because with a posi, if one side loses traction, the other side will keep pushing to the side with no traction, causing a spin?  If so, then what are the drawbacks with an open rear?
I have heard to use a spool, but if an axle breaks, or one side loses traction, is it the same result as a posi?

Is the open rear safer because if a tire breaks loose, you just go up in smoke until you back off the throttle, and regain traction and then accelerate?

Jeff

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 09:55:36 PM »
Beats me.

Only made one run with a posi.  Notice how the signs are reading backwards.  I don't know why this happened.  Set the record in two runs the next day at 210.  Your results may vary.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 11:34:02 PM »
Ok Jeff, here's the best info I can give you.
The strongest center housing is Gen 3 & later Camaro due to being a Nodular Iron housing with extra meat for the torque arm mount. Most of the other housings are cast iron.
The weak link in most carriers is the cross pin for the spider gears so if you go to a Torsen carrier it eliminates that problem because it is a spiral gear unit that spreads the drive load over a large gear area. There are a few different types of LSD's for them from clutches to govlocks & they all come on differently but the Torsen is always on & variable & won't surprise you. With an open center you are back to the weak cross pin again & you still have it even with a mini spool.
The 2 series is for the "high ratio" gears from 3.08 up to 2.14. (a lot of people seen to get that backwards) The 3 series is for the lower ratios from 3.23 all the way down to something like 4.30.
Do 28 spline, that way you can change to a 9" Ford style hub & easily get custom 28 spline 9" axles for your particular length.
The cast aluminum rear cover/girdle has supports that screw down onto the bearing caps as support, don't leave home without one.
The axle tubes are never installed straight in a 7-1/2" housing so use a center bar through it when you weld the ends on.
  Sid.

Offline metermatch

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:00 AM »
All good ideas.  Thanks.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
I have made a few driveshafts using only a double cardon cv h-bar without any of the other cv parts. The typical C-L to C-L length is 3.25? these are available in 1310, 1330 and 1350. They will allow for some misalignment too.
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP