Author Topic: Pinion coupler for GM 7.5 rear  (Read 3788 times)

Offline metermatch

Re: Pinion coupler for GM 7.5 rear
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
Do have  a picture of this type of driveshaft/joint?  I'm having trouble picturing it.  Do you make these?  Ballpark figures, how much?

I don't have any actual problem with using a coupler - I would prefer to use a common size u-joint and driveshaft setup so I can run different engines in thee car.  The current engine, a 1950 Buick 320 straight 8 is so long that it almost requires the use of a coupler, but with the smaller GM 7.5 rear, (currently Ford 9") and relocating the rear end a few inches aft, I could probably find 3-4 more inches.  I would rather install a u joint flange on the rear instead of a coupler so I don't have to change it when switching engines,  Get it set up once and forget it.

Jeff

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
This is what he's talking about. They are typically used on off-road 4x4's where there is going to be extreme shaft angles & low rpm. Universal joints consume power because their speed is not constant & the more angle there is the more power they suck up. 
  Sid.
https://www.google.com/search?q=double+cardan+shaft+alignment&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS788US788&sxsrf=ALeKk00Tr9es1JTdycO0lpRc_IwV4HsTBQ:1594264219044&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=e7Hpe8TGGblOtM%252C0ieOoKCd6jEXKM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSmoiENCckFInbX1Ww9zPZaw0_QoQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil4NCDmb_qAhWDs54KHeUcCX0Q9QEwBXoECAYQIw&biw=1024&bih=657

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »
M vans have difffernt axle tubes  you can get Toresend centers off ebay that were in early-mid 80's firebirds and camaros  they work great and have 28 splines---the axle tubes in the 7.5s are not paralell  but you can adjust when you weld ford 9" ends in them to get rid of the c clips  if you want a wider track use a camaro  PU and Ms have shorter heaver axle tubes  I think all of this is correct 

I have run 2 u-joints 3 u-joints and a coupler---I tried to center the trans output and the rear pinion every time with the car wet and read for a run---a lot harder than one would guess

Sids memory and knowledge are better than mine 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:24:19 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Brickster

1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP