Author Topic: Jessi Combs Guinness World Record  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

Re: Jessi Combs Guinness World Record
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
What little I can glean from the activity of the NAE team at Alvord and information on the three wheel record speed(s) of SoA and SMI Motivator.

The FIM (the correct governing body for two and three wheeled vehicles) have acknowledged the World Record speed of Craig Breedlove, over the flying start 1 kilometre, on 13th October 1964 at 848.651 km/h {527.327 mph).  It is in their 75th Anniversary record book (dated 1979), which is the final listing before the change was made to the calculation method and the lists started again. 

Yes, the FIA did get a 'jet unlimited class' which accepted all vehicles.

Guinness World Records (GWR) have received sufficient information from the NAE team and two independent witnesses who were on the desert, to agree to the gender record speed now being Jessi's at 522.783 mph. This is an average speed from two runs.

Guinness WR normally provide a Specific Guideline Pack for speed record attempts. I do not know if this was done for the NAE team, but I would expect so, because there were two independent witnesses on the desert. The timed distance would have been specified, as would the speed being taken from two runs.   

A slight mystery exists because the average speed of 531.889 mph was publicised widely in various media, but has not been offered to GWR. It does not change that Jessi drove fast and well whenever she took the controls of NAE.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
Sorry pork i dont believe that. Why would ed spend all that money and time to build a car to break the record that is held by andy green in thrust ssc and then let someone else drive the car and try to break some non existent record. When the car was on display at aero books in burbank ca i talked to ed and he said that he was going to be very satisfied breaking thrust ssc's record.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 05:07:03 AM »

The FIM (the correct governing body for two and three wheeled vehicles) have acknowledged the World Record speed of Craig Breedlove, over the flying start 1 kilometre, on 13th October 1964 at 848.651 km/h {527.327 mph).  It is in their 75th Anniversary record book (dated 1979), which is the final listing before the change was made to the calculation method and the lists started again. 

Interesting ...

The 527mph speed was on 15 October.

Also, 527mph was for the flying start kilometre.  I thought the acknowledged record was the time/speed over the mile, a slightly lower 526.277mph.  I don't have a copy of the 1979 record book to check.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
I have no idea what you talking about....

read my comment.....correct....

My comment was about Alvord in Oregon....

Ed always talked about that he like to break the Thrust SSC record....with the NAE....but therefore he has to get the rights to run in the Diamonds Valley as the Alvord is far to short for the jet car to get up to speed....

So at Alvord....Ed has always the idea that Jessie run there her record....and improving the speed of the NAE....and than in the Diamonds Valley he would go for the next step.....and for the Thrust SSC record....

Nothing other I had wrote....OR?

Sorry pork i dont believe that. Why would ed spend all that money and time to build a car to break the record that is held by andy green in thrust ssc and then let someone else drive the car and try to break some non existent record. When the car was on display at aero books in burbank ca i talked to ed and he said that he was going to be very satisfied breaking thrust ssc's record.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
Malcolm & Tricky....

at first....

did we talk about FIM or FIA....

in 1979 a 75 years anniversary for the FIM would be strange as there was no proper motorcycle association (and for the records) before 1920....

on the 13th October....Craig broke Art record with the 468 mph

on the 15th October.....Craig run the first time over 500.....and end up in the pond...this was the 526 over the mile....

What really surprised me now....that someone had a Kilo record.....for the 15th Ocotber....

To Craig Breedlove....they had on the 13th and the 15th no timing lights set up for the kilo as they were only interest into the mile speed....

also, for years the older FIA paper shows only the mile speed....

I'm very interest where they found the kilo speed.....

Interesting ...

Also, 527mph was for the flying start kilometre.  I thought the acknowledged record was the time/speed over the mile, a slightly lower 526.277mph.  I don't have a copy of the 1979 record book to check.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
Tom, I digress from the topic to address the sketchy origin of the FIM and its records list.
The thrust driven 3-wheelers caused some issues within FIM which they decided to put to bed, permanently in 1979.

The FIM was born from the F?d?ration Internationale des Clubs Motocyclistes (FICM), which itself was founded in Paris, France, on 21 December 1904.
The name was changed to the F?d?ration Internationale Motocycliste (FIM) in 1949, the same year that also saw the first race of the famed Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix. The headquarters were transferred to Geneva, Switzerland in 1959.
1994 saw the headquarters relocated, this time to Mies, Switzerland, and occupy its own building for the first time, shaped like a stylized motorcycle. The name was changed again in 1998 to the F?d?ration Internationale de Motocyclisme at the congress in Cape Town, South Africa. The same year, the FIM was given provisional status of recognition by the International Olympic Committee, and gained full status in 2000 at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.
2004 marked the organization's centenary, and celebrations were held at the congress in Paris in October.

FIM Appendices for FIM World Records 2009, Appendix 018.4
THREE-WHEELER RECORDS MADE BETWEEN 1952 AND 1963
Sidecar records registered from 1st January 1952 to 31st December 1963 were made under regulations which have since been modified. At that time, no passenger or ballast was carried (see Art. 19, Appendix 01, Road Racing Technical Rules).
Due to the new method of calculation, introduced by the FIM TECHNICAL COMMISSION in JANUARY 1978, short distance records made prior to this date are absolute and therefore cannot be broken.
Consequently, these records are definite and cannot be broken. They are included in a separate section of the World Records Book (1979 Publication) for historical purposes only.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »

on the 13th October....Craig broke Art record with the 468 mph

on the 15th October.....Craig run the first time over 500.....and end up in the pond...this was the 526 over the mile....

What really surprised me now....that someone had a Kilo record.....for the 15th Ocotber....

To Craig Breedlove....they had on the 13th and the 15th no timing lights set up for the kilo as they were only interest into the mile speed....

also, for years the older FIA paper shows only the mile speed....

??

Interesting ...

Hot Rod Magazine for January 1965 states:

"Speeds on Spirit's last run had been 539 mph in the mile and 535 in the kilometer. Averages for the mile and kilo, which were the second set of new records for the week, were 526.88 mph for the mile and 527.33 for the kilo."

Interesting that a claim for the faster kilometre record was either not made or was denied by the FIM.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
Tricky Dicky - that faster kilometer speed not being publicized is not surprising. We had the same issue with The Blue Flame - 630.399 mi/h in the kilometer and 622.407 mi/h in the mile. The press and PR guys were constantly talking about the "magic mile" and other mile records. When The Blue Flame went faster in the kilometer, it was ignored in all the news accounts and press releases. Joe Petrali was upset when he saw what had happened, apparently ignoring the published results he had released with his FIA certification. Probably the same thing with Craig - and with the speed difference being so small he probably didn't care.

Malcolm, a speed claimed/certified/timed(?) by "two independent witnesses" is meaningless. Did they use stopwatches/hourglasses/GPS? How independent were they? Shadle had registered or copyrighted his own land speed record timing association. Were those the witnesses? Still very mysterious.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
Dick,

right, from 1904 on, there was a kind of association who tooks care for two and three wheeler.....

we had lots of discussion - from the view of LSR - if 1904 can be called the beginning of World Land Speed Records on two and three wheels....

today the year 1920 shows (what we call) the first official WLSR for a motorcycle.....there are three "records" listed from 1911 and 1914....set at Brooklands.....but under which regulations?.....before 1911 and up to 1920....lots of people and producers announced to be the world fastest.....

you understand the "confusion" with this date...

Well....the FIA changed over the years very often his name before it became FIA....so the FIM....

1979 was the year of the big freeze....record certification became a different base...but also a lot classes dropped complete out of list....as most of the classes became a new definition....

Craig Breedlove's SoA Three Wheeler didn't run under sidecar....the FIM called this categorie cyclecar.....

in 1976 this categorie still exist....as the freeze was 1979....

interesting is now......that in 1964 we had the situation...so as this record list shows....that we had the same records listed under FIA and FIM......

what me surprised...that the 1979 final status after the freeze....shows the 1964 records.......but they wasn't listed in a 1968 and 69 list.......!!!!

I got from Craig one of his 1963 certifications....for the 1964 records he had only the FIA certifications.....I don't know if he ever had an idea that also the FIM listed...or he simple forgot....

I have to ask Craig or Stanman about when I chat with one of them the next time....I'm interest to get more information about that.....

Ps. you wrote to the 1979 separate section "for historical purposes"......just thinking...could it be they added the 1964 just for that historical....!!!!!!!

Tom, I digress from the topic to address the sketchy origin of the FIM and its records list.
The thrust driven 3-wheelers caused some issues within FIM which they decided to put to bed, permanently in 1979.

The FIM was born from the F?d?ration Internationale des Clubs Motocyclistes (FICM), which itself was founded in Paris, France, on 21 December 1904.
The name was changed to the F?d?ration Internationale Motocycliste (FIM) in 1949, the same year that also saw the first race of the famed Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix. The headquarters were transferred to Geneva, Switzerland in 1959.
1994 saw the headquarters relocated, this time to Mies, Switzerland, and occupy its own building for the first time, shaped like a stylized motorcycle. The name was changed again in 1998 to the F?d?ration Internationale de Motocyclisme at the congress in Cape Town, South Africa. The same year, the FIM was given provisional status of recognition by the International Olympic Committee, and gained full status in 2000 at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.
2004 marked the organization's centenary, and celebrations were held at the congress in Paris in October.

FIM Appendices for FIM World Records 2009, Appendix 018.4
THREE-WHEELER RECORDS MADE BETWEEN 1952 AND 1963
Sidecar records registered from 1st January 1952 to 31st December 1963 were made under regulations which have since been modified. At that time, no passenger or ballast was carried (see Art. 19, Appendix 01, Road Racing Technical Rules).
Due to the new method of calculation, introduced by the FIM TECHNICAL COMMISSION in JANUARY 1978, short distance records made prior to this date are absolute and therefore cannot be broken.
Consequently, these records are definite and cannot be broken. They are included in a separate section of the World Records Book (1979 Publication) for historical purposes only.
Pork Pie

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
Spirit of America
The FIM book could have the wrong date but it is printed as 13-10-1964 in the European manner.  The FIM give three decimal places with no rounding hence the 527.327 mph for the kilometre. The Hot Rod magazine figure is rounded to two decimal places - 527.33 mph. The FIM does not list any mile speed in their booklet.   

Primacy of mile over the kilometre.
Has the longer timed distance of the mile just 'become' the often quoted speed? Both World governing bodies accept records for the kilometre and for the mile?

FIM 'age'
As has been shown, the front cover of the land speed booklet gives FIM years as 1904 to 1979, to get 75 years.

Malcolm, a speed claimed/certified/timed(?) by "two independent witnesses" is meaningless. Did they use stopwatches/hourglasses/GPS? How independent were they? Shadle had registered or copyrighted his own land speed record timing association. Were those the witnesses? Still very mysterious.

Gender record.
I have not seen any documents relating to the claim made to Guinness World Records, on behalf of Jessi.  The claim was presented in the USA. GWR personnel confirmed that the speed of 522.783 mph was an average of two runs. These runs were 503.195 mph and 542.371 mph. Independent witnesses were not on the NAE team, nor was the Ed Shadle land speed organisation mentioned. Others have told me the speeds were measured from GPS positioning. I was not there to see for myself.  A possible mystery that perhaps is best left. 

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »
About timing at Alvord...

in 2016 the USFRA (Association from Salt Lake City - organizer of the World of Speed) had set up the 1 mile timing light system - two of the USFRA were there at the place...

can they count as independet witnesses?

in 2016 they also had a "state of the art" GPS system in use.....some kind of experimental GPS.....to my knowledge this GPS was also active 2019....

the video of Jessis fatal run showed at the five mile marker position (this is the center of the measured mile) the same trailer as the USFRA used in 2016.....

well...it was not confirmed...but to this video it looks that the USFRA had set up again their timing equipment as they done over the years.....

the proof for that can only come from the NAE team....also if the Guinness speed was maybe the speed over the kilo...that it could be compared to Kitty's speed....
days after the fatal run the NAE team had announced the higher speed (for the mile)....with the information....that this speed was given to Guinness to be certified as the new record....

too many questions.....not enough answers....and the people who could clarify didn't tell something......
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:07:00 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »
I don't know anything about any of this. But. I would think that a record speed expressed in miles per hour would more naturally be over a mile. If it is a kilo record then they might be more inclined to give the KPH speeds. Which here in the USA would just confuse most people.

Online racergeo

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 08:04:18 PM »
   Rich, something in me just wants to go 550kph. The equivalent mph seems so slow :wink:

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
I apologize pork i did not realise you where talking about jessi driving the car at alvord. I still don't understand why ed would let someone else drive the NAE after spending all that money and time building the car. The thing is jessi never set or broke any kind land speed record in the NAE.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:13:53 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »
Putting a female driver in it was all about marketing for sponsorship dollars.
  Sid.