Author Topic: 1974  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

« on: June 22, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
I just read a magazine note from Aug '74 of an upcoming "200 mph invitational" Bonneville event. It was to be FIA and FIM sanctioned, with the entry cost being a small fraction of the usual cost for international sanction. And surprisingly, was also to be NHRA sanctioned. Sounds like i'm making this up, right? :? Invitations were to be limited to '74 SpeedWeek contestants who set a new record above 200 mph.
Did that event actually happen?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Malcolm UK

Re: 1974
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
I cannot help from the UK regarding the event itself. 

However the FIA list record speeds achieved on Bonneville on 22nd August 1974, 24th August 1974 and 28th August 1974. Some were by vehicles that played a key role in their class:

Virgil Snyder, Thermo-King Corsair Isuzu, (Diesel) - 22nd and 24th
Roger Hedlund, Battery Box (Electric) - 28th
Cissy Johnson VW Golf Special (Electric) - 22nd.

I look forward to comments as to what event(s) this may have been.  Dates too late in the month for Speedweek perhaps?

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »
I believe 1974 Speed Week ran from 18-24 August.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
At the 1974 SCTA Speed Week, as I recall, Tony Fox had arranged for FIA timing for the event. On August 19, 1974 Vern Anderson drove the rocket powered Pollution Packer Bonneville Dragster to 1/2 kilometer and 1/4 mile acceleration records that required 2-way runs within an hour. This caused a certain amount of disruption for the rest of the racers, naturally, and that was the last time such a stunt was sanctioned at SCTA. Took way too much time.

The SCTA safety inspection was a hoot when the car had Indy car tires on it instead of the Goodyear Bonneville tires we actually ran on. When Tony was challenged on the improper tires, his answer was "We just want to see how fast these tires will go!" After we calmed down the SCTA safety guys, we showed them the Bonneville tires we were going to run.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:21:39 PM »
Virgil Snyder, Thermo-King Corsair Isuzu, (Diesel) - 22nd and 24th
Cissy Johnson VW Golf Special (Electric) - 22nd.

And I believe the Roger Hedland/Battery Box record was set on 23 August.  Probably an FIA typo.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:23:38 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »
Al set his 308 lakester record in '81' on shaved Indy tires. One of the officials came by, drew a farm tractor pattern in the salt on the tread, (picture somewhere) and told Al if he was going to go that fast he needed to do something about tires. IIRC the tires were marked on the sidewall by the MFG, limit 164MPH.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:06 PM »
In 1972 my friend Phil Stevenson drove his 55 Chevy wagon to Bonneville and ran in B/Gas (390 Cad./GM Turbo/Hydro).  He changed to 18s in the pits.  He had one Indy tire and one Bonneville tire.  There was a 1/2-in. difference in the diameter (or maybe circumference ? who knows, it was almost 50 years ago).  Both had cord showing and were stamped "OK for 175 MPH) or something like that.  He went 149 and drove it home (not on those).  In those days they gave a trophy for whoever drove there and went the fastest.  He won it.  I'd guess it was discontinued after some were driving from the Bend in the Road and such.

What does this have to do with the present subject?  Not much.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »
Wow Stan, that's our modified behind the wagon, when Jerry Jones owned it.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 01:30:42 AM »
...It was to be FIA and FIM sanctioned, with the entry cost being a small fraction of the usual cost for international sanction. And surprisingly, was also to be NHRA sanctioned.

A few times Speed Week was listed as an NHRA event, so that SCTA-BNI could use NHRA's insurance policy. Maybe this was one of those times.

The other possibility is that because this was a FIA event and NHRA was a member of ACCUS http://www.accusfia.us/ while SCTA-BNI wasn't. 

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:37 AM »

Probably an FIA typo.

"Probably ............. ?"

ACCUS has a few options for Clubs to oversee FIA speed records in the USA. Competitors often have to meet the insurance premium that is levied but those Clubs can shield an attempt and its officials.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:03:10 AM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.