Author Topic: Kiwi Sid's liner  (Read 11393 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Kiwi Sid's liner
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »
It would not be a bad idea to fit some stainless steel wire screen in the line between the blower and your helmet. It will help act as a flame arrestor in case the worst happens. A filter on the inlet would help, too.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:11 PM »
Sid, what are you using to seal the helmet blower fan to the body? I have something similar for my car but it needs a fire retardant seal before it passes tech.

John
The body seal is made out of silica cloth because my friend makes turbo & exhaust heat blankets but you could also use Nomex fabric.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 06:53:08 AM »
WoW wow wow--- Sid your bag of spuds beats my box of rocks :cheers:
just looking at your efforts brings two thoughts to mind how much time and efforts went into building it but how much more went into beingeneering it 

It is a wonderful sick addiction we have  a tip of the hat brother
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 07:56:50 AM »
Thanks, Sid. Just so happens a friend said he has a bunch of Nomex just laying around the shop. BTW, the liner looks great. Love the drive train and driver compartment innovations too. When are the first set of runs planned?

John
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:00:09 AM by ggl205 »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
Sid,
Really looking forward to more pics of your liner! I'll bet you haven't kept track of the hours you have in building your dream but no doubt there have been many days , weeks, months, years invested. From what you have shown it is pretty much what I would expect from you, great engineering, great fabrication and a beautiful result!!

More pictures Sid!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 02:15:40 AM »
WoW wow wow--- Sid your bag of spuds beats my box of rocks :cheers:
just looking at your efforts brings two thoughts to mind how much time and efforts went into building it but how much more went into beingeneering it 

It is a wonderful sick addiction we have  a tip of the hat brother
Down in Zona you have rock gardens Sparky, up here we grow spuds. Your bag of rocks beats my pile of spuds because yours runs! :-)
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 02:54:38 AM »
Sid,
Really looking forward to more pics of your liner! I'll bet you haven't kept track of the hours you have in building your dream but no doubt there have been many days , weeks, months, years invested. From what you have shown it is pretty much what I would expect from you, great engineering, great fabrication and a beautiful result!!

More pictures Sid!

Rex
Thanks Rex, actually I have kept a fairly lose tally of time & I have over 26,000 hours in it so far. It hasn't been an easy build but I've built it to be easy to run. The engine & all the powertrain is in & all the plumbing is done.
I'm not an I-phone operator so I need to find my camera to get some more pics. It's around here somewhere but I pretty much turned the place up side down to get the nose & tail outside the other day & I've been out at all hours fixing trucks since then. Getting to bed at 1, 2 or 3 am gets to be a little rough on an old fart!
  Sid.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
Sid,

Nice build, cannot wait to see the rest of the pictures. You are one dedicated person.
26,000 hours is equal to 13 years at a regular 40 hour a week job. My Hat is off to you.  :clap :clap :clap.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 01:58:09 AM »
It was March 2007 when I unloaded a pile of steel & started building the chassis. It started out as a D/BFS with two Mitsubishi 4 cyl diesel blocks & cranks together as a 300" straight 8 with single OHC hemi heads, quad turbos, two stage Hilborn injection & crank trigger ignition. It was 4WD with an Allison 1000 trans & T-case.
At that time Harry Jr (Hoffman-Markley) had the record at 367 which seemed pretty doable to me, then George Moneybags came along & put it over 400. So I decided I just needed to build a bigger hammer & gutted the whole thing & started again with the KB600 engine & all new drive line stuff.
I try to limit my working for a living time to less than 30 hours a month, that way I can spend most of my time on the liner but it's a balancing act between time & money.
There's been many times I wished I'd never started this monster & have had to walk away for a while to keep my sanity but I'm not about to give up.
  Sid. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
not very often! :lol:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
I am not the only person to change plans after George's carpet bombing? More pics Sid.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 03:14:39 PM »
Ok, I took some more pics with my Box-Brownie camera & it talked to the pay phone booth that sent them down the pipe without destroying the internet so you grumblers  :-D will see them as soon as Jon has time to fiddle with them. I've just been busy with broken trucks at all hours.
  Sid.

Did I miss any of 'em, Sid?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:26:38 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »
well Sid these picts will keep my poor old head occupied trying to identify the function and or the origin of some of the parts in these posts

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »
Thanks Jon, there should be enough here to start a few head scratcher's going. Sparky's on one! :-D
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Hmm...  A Pepsi can in one exhaust, a shop rag in the other.  I suppose -- they're plenty big enough to use as storage places, I guess. lol8
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com