Author Topic: Reid Railton, Man of Speed  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Reid Railton, Man of Speed
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
I am about half way through the second volume and really enjoying this read.

It is two volumes (about 400 pages each) with a ton of period photos and technical drawings etc; all from the 20's and 30's (and a bit beyond). Its written for a general audience with motoring interests but does provide a bit of detail for the techy.

It is UK biased though it goes into detail re Ab Jenkins and why the Brits came to Bonneville and other contemporary activities; water and land speed ventures, car manufacture in his own name (I had no idea), the Brooklands race track, fast sub hunter and MTB's for the UK military (WWII) that Railton used his connections to source US engines for and etc .

Quite a bit of detail on the Campbells, John Cobb, Eyston etc (water and land), the development of hydroplane boats, references to twin clutch shifting (ca 1936), monster aero engines and etc. Gives a lot of history and context, not just a bio.

Its big and spendy (redundancy money put to good use) but I am pleased I did.

Any other recommendations for books to read in lock down?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Reid Railton, Man of Speed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:03 AM »
Computer based engine design, like the Dynomation program, is a very fascinating way to engage the mind.  Lots of interesting reading is associated with the endeavor.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 11:08:46 AM »
I drive at night and listen to talking books and recently re-heard "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.  Not so much racing per se but still interesting enough to make it worthwhile.  If you listen to talking books consider Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born to Run".  He reads it - and that makes for quite the good listen.  Even if you're not a big Springsteen fan (I'm not) it was a good book.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein is a terrific book, if only for the fact that it's written by a dog.  The movie, seen while trapped going to Australia, not so much.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline TD

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »
I drive at night and listen to talking books and recently re-heard "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.  Not so much racing per se but still interesting enough to make it worthwhile.  If you listen to talking books consider Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born to Run".  He reads it - and that makes for quite the good listen.  Even if you're not a big Springsteen fan (I'm not) it was a good book.

The corollary to Bruce's book is "Big Man:  Real Life and Tall Tales" by Clarence Clemons & Don Reo...

Disclaimer:  I'm a massive Bruce fan.  :cheers:

Tim