Author Topic: Are we shooting ourselves in the foot ?  (Read 19397 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Are we shooting ourselves in the foot ?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »
The price?
Waaay more than us normal broke racers could ever afford,
but maybe not so much for a successful hedge fund manager looking for a write-off.

Then redo your comment.

JL222

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
I've never been there but.... Why does the track have to end where the salt ends? Cant they prepare the area beyond the salt and run on it as well, effectively lengthening the course?
Bobby

Offline salt27

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
I've never been there but.... Why does the track have to end where the salt ends? Cant they prepare the area beyond the salt and run on it as well, effectively lengthening the course?

Mud.

Offline aircap

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 12:14:00 AM »

If you HAD ever been there, you would immediately realize just how dumb that idea is.

Think about it - it's SALT. And for much of the year it's SALT WATER.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 04:12:44 AM »

Decades ago you could have, but back then we had 13 miles of salt instead of barely 6.

:cry:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
That was a fair question from somebody that has never been there & is interested in our situation so I would like to apologize on behalf of our forum member that snapped you off like you were the one who took our salt away.
The salt crust, what's left of it, sits on top of salt saturated brine dirt, Once exposed to the sun it does dry with a crust but it's a gamble whether it will support a vehicle or not. Once you break through that dirt crust you have sunk into caramel pudding.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
Thank you very much, Sid.  I'll dig up and post a picture or two of what it looks like at the five or six or seven mile and you'll understand better, Puppy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jww36

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

How long do you think the BLM would get away with allowing logging of old growth redwoods/trees on BLM property?

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

How long do you think the BLM would get away with allowing logging of old growth redwoods/trees on BLM property?

Or logging without replanting?

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 12:56:26 PM »
Some information off the SCTA Facebook page.

Tom G.

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
Yesterday at 9:05 AM ?

Letter from Stuart Gosswein:

All,

Just a quick follow-up from last Tuesday?s conference call to discuss the Restore Bonneville program.

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) and the American Motorcyclist Association have sent out action alerts asking readers to thank Utah state lawmakers for appropriating $1 million to help create the program and requesting that the money be retained when lawmakers revisit the state budget in June. Here are links to the alerts, which have probably reached about 1,500 SAN/SEMA/AMA members in Utah. We have posted on social media as well. Feel free to repost.

http://semasan.com/?/urgent-thank-utah-state-lawmakers-thei?

https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/write-a-letter?

Attached are four photos that Larry took about two weeks ago that show amount of surface salt at Bonneville. Mike had a phone call with Eric Rogers, who noted that there had been minimal salt lay down this year due to the rainy weather conditions. The BLM has not yet read the pumps to provide a specific amount.

Crossing fingers that sun and heat will now help create favorable racing conditions.

Best,

Stuart

Stuart Gosswein
Sr. Director, Federal Government Affairs
Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20004
202/777-1220
stuartg@sema.org

Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats The Bonneville Salt Flats is a world-famous destination for land-speed racing, including AMA- and FIM-sanctioned competition. In fact, motorcycles have been a historical part of this unique resource and national treasure....
cqrcengage.com
Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats
Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats The Bonneville Salt Flats is a world-famous?
Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats The Bonneville Salt Flats is a world-famous destination for land-speed racing, including AMA- and FIM-sanctioned competition. In fact, motorcycles have been a historical part of this unique resource and national treasure....
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
My main point was not really about how to restore the Flats,
nor was it really about where the salt is going.

It is mostly about HOW the racing on the EXISTING Flats (notice I
capitalize it when I am talking about THE Bonneville Salt Flats)
can be better understood.

There is a realm of sports endeavor that is all
about having safe and effective playing fields.

We have long known that unsure footing on Football,
soccer and Rugby fields leads to surprising results,
sloppy play, and unnecessary injury.

For most important venues (think an outdoor Superbowl),
having the RIGHT moisture level is so important that designers
install underground piping, special soil amendments and drainage features
to assure that the field is ready for play when needed.

Think of the consequences of a Superbowl field underwater on Superbowl Sunday.

If football is so concerned with water level,
doesn't it make sense that our beloved Flats
would be affected in the same way?

Offline jl222

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
Some information off the SCTA Facebook page.

Tom G.

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
Yesterday at 9:05 AM ?

Letter from Stuart Gosswein:

All,

Just a quick follow-up from last Tuesday?s conference call to discuss the Restore Bonneville program.

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) and the American Motorcyclist Association have sent out action alerts asking readers to thank Utah state lawmakers for appropriating $1 million to help create the program and requesting that the money be retained when lawmakers revisit the state budget in June. Here are links to the alerts, which have probably reached about 1,500 SAN/SEMA/AMA members in Utah. We have posted on social media as well. Feel free to repost.

http://semasan.com/?/urgent-thank-utah-state-lawmakers-thei?

Attached are four photos that Larry took about two weeks ago that show amount of surface salt at Bonneville. Mike had a phone call with Eric Rogers, who noted that there had been minimal salt lay down this year due to the rainy weather conditions. The BLM has not yet read the pumps to provide a specific amount.

Crossing fingers that sun and heat will now help create favorable racing conditions.

Best,

Stuart

Stuart Gosswein
Sr. Director, Federal Government Affairs
Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20004
202/777-1220
stuartg@sema.org

cqrcengage.com
Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats
Thank Utah state lawmakers for their efforts to save the Bonneville Salt Flats The Bonneville Salt Flats is a world-famous?

I million? What happened to the 5 million?

JL222
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:27:01 PM by jl222 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »
Well, John, if I remember somewhere near correctly, Utah put up $1 Million if the feds kicked in $10 Million or so.  You and I know how much the present administration is conservation biased.  So it didn't happen.

Sounds like they're asking to extend it for another year.  Think there will be a different answer?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
Unfortunately I see it as political gum flapping with the intent to appear to be doing something about the problem but even if I'm totally wrong about it & real money became available, how would it be spent & by who, the corrupt BLM?
So the BLM would make a big public song & dance about the whole "look at me" situation while the money was spent on the pumping program & we all know that pumping has only increased the loss rate because the $hit just flows right back to Intrepid.
Anything that is put back on Bonneville will go to the plant unless the drain is permanently plugged & they stop pumping back as well. The only way that will happen is if Intrepid shuts down it's operation!
  Sid.

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
If one gets close enough to a well designed football field,
one can appreciate that the field is crowned, just like a road. 

That crown encourages, in both cases, the water to run off to the sides.

Bonneville however is "built"in a LOW spot ,
where the rain and run-off from
the mountains actually gathers!

(If you use Google Earth and run your cursor around,
the legend on the bottom of the page will tell you the altitude. 
There isn't much change, but the low spot
is where the track usually winds up.)

Being in the low spot is probably GOOD
for salt being dissolved in the surrounding hills,
and settling onto where we need it - the TRACK.

But the same condition make into the LAST place
to get dry in the summer, and the spot MOST likely
 to have a high water table - relative to the racing surface.

That has NOTHING to do with the pumping !