Author Topic: Advice on buying a mill  (Read 32222 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Advice on buying a mill
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »
Sid,

I posted a reply but it got wiped out by the server move. You really need to download the PDF file I posted earlier in this thread. It gives you all the information for operation.

Don't use channel Locks, you are doing it the right way and you will develop a feel for clicking the collets in.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

Thanks Tom, I down loaded a new PDF reader & that go me hooked up. I like the feel of the 2UVR but I'm thinking this one is more like used up than just used. I guess I'm still looking.
  Sid.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »
Sid,

Don't know how far you are willing to travel for a Tree, but I looked on Craigslist and there aren't any in Idaho for sale. There are a couple in Oregon for sale but very pricy. Here are a couple in So Cal that seemed priced right. They weigh around 2500 lbs so a car trailer will carry them, but I know it would be a long drive and lots of gas money.

Tom G.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/tls/2766035263.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tls/2766306467.html
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
When it comes to buying or selling stuff, I'm just paying the penalty for being where everyone else isn't. A two+ day drive is out of the question, time away from the liner & the business & the the price of diesel, pretty much delete a bargain price. It was one thing to pack the KB up from SoCal but a mill is a large animal. I'd be all over the one in San Diego if I was on the same map. 
Just need to find one closer to home.
  Sid.

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
a mill or any other machine tool is a bit like an engine you want to make go faster - always check the aftermarket parts availability before you commit to buy-,as making all the one off parts you need can be enjoyable-it sure does eat away at time-

i,d go for a bridgeport-and the more 'kit' you get with it the better-machine vices,rotary tables,tee clamp systems , DRO,S etc all add to the price big time-is there a machine tool society or model engineers group any where near ? -these guys are a REAL goldmine of info -i have found in the past.

gluck
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
This is one of those questions where you start out thinking Volkswagen and everybody tries to talk you into a Ferrari.

I have cut parts on a mill that was ready for retirement a generation ago. I have also used the latest state-of-the-art CNC. It's great to have a surface grinder, lathe, plasma cutter . . . But you learn work-arounds or take it outside. Every place I have worked I have had access to their machinery, but it's not as good as having a Bridgeport in the garage.

You really have to fix a budget number and work around it. a CNC only makes sense if you have money to throw away. The CNC is perfect for multiple parts, but in LSR everything is a one-off. It it's really that complicated of a part have someone else do it.

You can get good work done from a used pile of junk, it's just harder. Everything in your price range is going to have backlash, the amount you turn the wheel and nothing happens. You learn to compensate. You also learn the difference between climb cutting and conventional cutting.

I'll chime in with everybody else, tooling, tooling, tooling. You can't have enough collets, clamps, 1-2-3 blocks, you name it. At some point you have to hold the part to machine it, and a lot will fit in a decent vice. If it won't, you chew up a lot of time trying to figure out how you are going to hold the part.

There is no equal to a sharp tool. A sharp tool cuts with very little effort and not much sound. A dull tool isn't cutting, it's wearing through the part with great effort and racket. Coolant is the key to keeping it sharp by pulling the heat out of the part and the cutter.

What you cut is almost as important as what you have already cut. The chips have to leave the area. Sounds simple but you would be surprised how often you see the chips come back around and you end up cutting the part and the chips, causing double the load on the cutter.

The rigidity of the mill determines how much of a cut you can take. The table top mills won't take much of a cut. The more iron the better. The mill, tooling and cutter determines the speeds and feeds you can get away with.

You very rarely need to hog large amounts, and when you do, patience can be a substitute for iron. You also learn to cut the excess off with the chop saw or bandsaw before you start milling.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
 I hear ya Dean.
 I spoke to a guy on the north end of Utah yesterday, he has an Arlington LH-1 1/2 with a 9x42 table. I googled it but came up empty. Anybody know what this is??
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 06:38:03 AM »
Ok, I found more info on this mill. Its a Lioho LH 1 1/2 which is a Bridgeport model J clone out of Tiawan in the late 60's & 70's. They were retaged & sold here in the US by Arlington Machine.
The guy bought it & stuck it in his 2 car garage with plans to work it. Now his wife wants the "big hunk of iron" out of there.
This one sounds like me!
  Sid.

Offline yalilime

• New folks
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2021, 04:57:42 PM »
I also own a CNC mini mill. I own Proxxon Mini Milling. If i gave my insights about it then it gives you complete value for your money.
Speaking of features, the motor runs at a wattage of 100W and runs on standard voltage requirements.
Stable operation

There are many Safety measures that a newbie should follow while using it. Take help from here.
Some of there are:
Make sure that the material is held rigidly by a vise.

When the mill is ON, do not remove or tighten the arbor.