Author Topic: No INDY 500  (Read 6977 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: No INDY 500
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
Forgot to ask...OK Woody..What do you have going with Zakira's?? Bowle's  Special replica lakester??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »
....Here's why:  On the 30th of May, 1961, my dad and I (13 years old at  the time) were sitting in the fifth row about 200 yards down the track from the finish line at Indy.  Mel Torme had sung "Back Home Again in Indiana", the cars were started and went around on the parade lap and then the pace car pulled off and 32 Offys and Jack Brabham in the Lotus roared past us at full song.  They sprayed a mean fog of methanol exhaust on Dad and me..

Hey I was there then or maybe '62 (can't remember which) but not in the good seating.  In turn 3 on the inside watching cars go by single file  :-(.  Hitch-hiked from St. Louis with a friend and slept in the back of someone's car sitting up a couple blocks from the speedway where all the streets were closed for parking and corner parties.  Saw the race but didn't know much about what was going on due to our seating.  Hitch-hiked part of the way home later that day and the rest of the way the next day.

It was an experience, not at the top of the list but glad I did it,

Sumner

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
Jer, I took those pix in 2010 at an SAE meeting we had there. They were trying to transition to CAD at the time and I offered my services but they declined - but if there is a lakester there I might have to annoy them again!  :naughty
They actually hot rod & race Millers!  :cheers: :cheers:
I'll put the rest of my Zakira pix in the previous folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qngjdebymbbpsa1/AABp9FPeEu3ORB1GkTPxxnhca?dl=0
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 03:57:30 PM »
Ah...Josh & co. were prepping her for the trip to Goodwood would be my guess.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
I'd guess that competitors didn't pay for spark plugs in those days. 
Stan

At one time they gave plugs away at Speed Week.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 07:24:19 AM »
     I thought I had finally become a real racer when Art Chrisman gave me a new Autolite for my BSA single to "try" during Speedweek '71  :-D

Ed

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »
May 30 was the day I would turn on the garage radio to listen to ?the greatest spectacle in racing? while I washed and waxed my Dad?s 1953 Cadillac in our Chicago driveway.
1956 winner Pat Flaherty and Swede?s tavern was a few blocks away. I caught the Western Avenue street car in front of GRANCOR (Granatelli Corporation) to ride to high school. Lots in Indy in Chicago then. Oh, and the Bettenhausens, too.
The first (?) theater pay-per-view race I watched in 1964. Mickey Thompson?s ?roller skate? cars were fueled with enough gasoline to drive the 500 non-stop. Dave McDonald crashed his on lap 2 ? stopping the race that day. I didn?t go back to see the rest of the race. When he ricocheted of the wall he was t-boned by Eddie Sachs. The full gasoline tank splashed into Sachs? car and both drivers were incinerated. I had been at the earlier Time Trial where Eddie Sachs was interviewed and his humorous banter was infectious. Felt like I knew the guy.
Went to the Indy Time Trials about 10 times. From the top 1st corner grandstand you could watch the whole qualifying run ? one car at a time. The Novi V8s were always the loudest. Turbochargers ruined all that. Went to the race 4 times. We had Milwaukee Journal press passes and watched from the pit stands. We could actually walk on the track as the cars were being lined up for the start.
THE GREATEST SPECTACLE IN RACING??? YES!!!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »
Dick:

Years ago, when I worked for Sunnen Products Company, we shared an Indy garage with Monroe shocks for the entire month. We were lucky to have ?pins? that allowed us complete access to track and pits. One of the best times I had as a non racer.

John

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
I remember listening with my dad on Memorial Day.  He died in early 1950, so it had to be earlier than that.

The biggest attendance at a one-day sports event in the world was the Indy 500 ? year after year.

The 2nd place?  First day of qualifying for the 500.

And now I hardly care.  "Push for Pass"?  I'll pass.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »
...and the week after Indy was the Milwaukee Mile Speedway race. Every year!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
I was fortunate enough to get to walk about a mile and a half of the track before the race in 1969... Mario won... the banks are not as evident on TV... they are tall.... especially if you are carrying a Sousaphone  :-o
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
Totally unrelated to this thread but ......Woody; your reply #17 you linked some pics.

In P1010317.JPG is that a Kellison plug, repro body, or....?

It reminds me of something I saw in LA at Petersen's on the way to visit SW but cannot for the life of me remember the make - I want to say Boswell / Bosley (shades of Happy Days).

I can find the image but not the name http://www.neautomuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/p2-13.jpg

Sorry for the detail - does anyone make cars that have this rightness anymore?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »
Ferrari Barchetta?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Not seeing the Cavalino Rampante there.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »
It is the 1954 Bosley
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:35:49 PM by floydjer »