Author Topic: Land Racing face masks!!!  (Read 29012 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Land Racing face masks!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:38 PM »
So if they didn't wear a helmut, could they pass sudden death and head injury to their friends and others?

Apples, oranges, nuts.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 10:41:42 PM »
Luckily my helmet came with a sneeze guard factory installed, so I guess I am good to go.  Now I just gotta get this oil leak of a race bike ready for aug/sept.  I wish my engine had a .01 mortality rate.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »
I hope you guys who wear helmets are just pulling my leg that I need to explain that something else that makes everyone safe (like a mask to catch high velocity potentially toxic airborne snot, inbound or outbound) is a good idea.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 01:27:56 AM »
Who else likes chocolate turtles? I can't be alone . :cheers:

Are you talking the ones with caramel and pecans... don't tell me you don't like the ones with pecans....  those are  required in my turtles... unless you are talking about dipping cooked turtles in chocolate... like fondue? then no Jerry I don't like those... when I eat turtle I prefer it in soup with garlic, potatoes and onion.... is it Friday yet?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:22 AM »
Doc B., I hope you are not telling me I am incapable of not sneezing or coughing high velocity, potentially toxic airborne snot on people and must wear a mask. If you are one of those people, I would suggest you always wear a mask with or with out a virus present. By the way, a simple cloth mask will not save you from a direct hit so it becomes useful only for those who can?t help coughing or sneezing on folks.

Look, I am for practicing all necessary and relevant forms of good practice to stay safe from this or any other disease but many people have a false sense of security about wearing a mask. Talk to just about any medical tech, nurse or doctor, and they will tell you a mask is practically useless against COVID-19, especially simple cloth masks.

John

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:28 AM »

Are you talking the ones with caramel and pecans... don't tell me you don't like the ones with pecans....  those are  required in my turtles... unless you are talking about dipping cooked turtles in chocolate... like fondue? then no Jerry I don't like those... when I eat turtle I prefer it in soup with garlic, potatoes and onion.... is it Friday yet?
puh-cons or pea-cans Bob?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »
Oh come on! All of this-(including wearing a helmet-LOL) is about REDUCING RISK. There isn't anything that is 100% effective. You can ask your health care worker why they are wearing masks, shields and other PPE why they are wearing all that crap if it is practically useless? If the simple cloth ones don't work well enough for you, get a better mask. I don't much want to be part of the next 100K.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Oh come on! All of this-(including wearing a helmet-LOL) is about REDUCING RISK. There isn't anything that is 100% effective. You can ask your health care worker why they are wearing masks, shields and other PPE why they are wearing all that crap if it is practically useless? If the simple cloth ones don't work well enough for you, get a better mask. I don't much want to be part of the next 100K.

A sentiment I also share . . . . .

Well, I guess I should start this with a disclaimer that I am not a doctor, or any sort of medical professional . . . . . .  but I have an ex-68 Whiskey, med-tech son and an RN daughter working "on the front lines" . . . . . and I am willing to listen to what their "doctor" colleagues have to say.

Yes, the virus is tiny, 1.25 nanometers, and small enough to pass through any mask, IF, it was a "dry desert particle".   Your lungs, however, don't work like that.   It's a wet environment, and the virus particles are "carried" in and out, on the "microdroplets of moisture" entering and leaving your lungs.    These much larger, micro-particles, are stopped by masks of all types.

And just to be clear, I'm not confused about the effectiveness of masks at all.   I do not "live in fear".   I'm simply intelligent enough to want to "minimize risk". It's why I wore a fire suit, helmet, 6 point restraints, etc, when I tested race cars. I understood the "risk", and took the appropriate steps to "mitigate the risk".

I DO NOT insist that anyone else accept my values, but I DO understand that their "denial" raises the "risk" to others, including myself, and others that I care about. If you wish to accept a "lowest common denominator" approach to risk, or life in general, just know that I do not agree with your choice.    And I will not accept this "additional risk" involuntarily.

This is not about "freedom", or anyone's "presumed rights".   You do not have, and have never had, the right to endanger others.   Either by your words or your actions.  This is really about sensible choices for "public health" and a willingness to show "consideration" for other members of our society.    Since most of us are now in "multiple heightened risk groups" from this pandemic, it would seem that sensible precautions would be in order.

Yes, you have the right to refuse to do this.   Think about how you are portraying yourself to others, and be prepared to accept their judgment of your actions.

JMHO   :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

P.S.  Caramel & pecans please
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »

Puh-cons from Texas are my preference.... I had a turtle with cashews once, not the same, maybe they call that something else.
ya know ya have to slow cook turtles... otherwise you might scorch the caramel.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »

A sentiment I also share . . . . .

Well, I guess I should start this with a disclaimer that I am not a doctor, or any sort of medical professional . . . . . .  but I have an ex-68 Whiskey, med-tech son and an RN daughter working "on the front lines" . . . . . and I am willing to listen to what their "doctor" colleagues have to say.

Yes, the virus is tiny, 1.25 nanometers, and small enough to pass through any mask, IF, it was a "dry desert particle".   Your lungs, however, don't work like that.   It's a wet environment, and the virus particles are "carried" in and out, on the "microdroplets of moisture" entering and leaving your lungs.    These much larger, micro-particles, are stopped by masks of all types.

And just to be clear, I'm not confused about the effectiveness of masks at all.   I do not "live in fear".   I'm simply intelligent enough to want to "minimize risk". It's why I wore a fire suit, helmet, 6 point restraints, etc, when I tested race cars. I understood the "risk", and took the appropriate steps to "mitigate the risk".

I DO NOT insist that anyone else accept my values, but I DO understand that their "denial" raises the "risk" to others, including myself, and others that I care about. If you wish to accept a "lowest common denominator" approach to risk, or life in general, just know that I do not agree with your choice.    And I will not accept this "additional risk" involuntarily.

This is not about "freedom", or anyone's "presumed rights".   You do not have, and have never had, the right to endanger others.   Either by your words or your actions.  This is really about sensible choices for "public health" and a willingness to show "consideration" for other members of our society.    Since most of us are now in "multiple heightened risk groups" from this pandemic, it would seem that sensible precautions would be in order.

Yes, you have the right to refuse to do this.   Think about how you are portraying yourself to others, and be prepared to accept their judgment of your actions.

JMHO   :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

P.S.  Caramel & pecans please

Thanks for that Fordboy. That was as usual very well said and I'd just like to second that sentiment.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »

Puh-cons from Texas are my preference.... I had a turtle with cashews once, not the same, maybe they call that something else.
ya know ya have to slow cook turtles... otherwise you might scorch the caramel.
My wife, born in Georgia and makes a great pecan pie, prefers pea-cans, emphasis second syllable. I love turtles too (but not in soup....) :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ggl205

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
Health care professionals are mandated to wear masks. Those in my family don?t like it but their circumstances are different from ours. They treat very ill people that are often not aware they jeopardize people around them. Again, chances of contracting this virus via airborne transmission is minimal. It enters the body through contact with mouth, nose and eyes. It is why we are told to minimize hand contact to our face.

This is not a freedom thing for me and believe it or not, my upmost concern is safety. But far too much emphasis surrounds masks (The least likely way to protect ourselves and others) when we should address more significant prevention modalities. If hand transmission is the greater cause of infection, shouldn?t we all carry a small pocket sized bottle of hand sanitizer and use it regularly throughout the day?

Regarding the analogy of racing equipment to virus prevention. All I can say here is to look back several decades and see what the racing community thought was ?safe?. Low or no roll bars, no seat belts, fire suits were street clothes and it goes on. Point is, once we understood what we were dealing with, changes were made in the right direction, a direction that made the most sense.

John

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
John- I understand what you are saying. However, current recommendations and data indicate you have it backwards. By far the greatest transmission risk is by airborne droplets of whatever size and hand from a surface to the eye, nose and mouth is much less. But not zero of course. Attempts at protection from both sources is important. How do I know this? I can read the literature and I am a physician rather than some who play them on TV.
Respectfully,
Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ggl205

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »
Finally, an MD has chimed in. Jack, my understanding is the same as yours but with a twist. Those airborne droplets are projected by a sneeze or cough hence, the six foot rule. Once the infectious droplet lands, the virus can stay active of hours/days. It is then picked up by hands and transmitted to the face or through hand contact with others. This is where a mask could be the most effective, controlling the distance these droplets travel. But just as effective is what we have been taught to do when we cough or sneeze and that is to do it in the corner of our elbow. Just as socially responsible.

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping. The store had two large bottles of hand sanitizer at both in and out doors and in several areas around the store. People in masks and some with gloves, moved about the store picking up food, inspecting it, then putting it back. Most of these socially responsible people Ignored the hand sanitizer in store and at the door leaving.

I am not sure what the perfect answer is here but I still maintain that we must use the most preventative means possible. I just do not see wearing masks as that answer when more effective means are available. But I am heavily influenced by two sons, one an MD and the other a nurse, an MD daughter-in-law and an OBGYN son-in-law. They all pretty much say the same thing about how effective masks are to the general public.

John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:46:34 AM by ggl205 »

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
It is just amazing to me that the people who declare that face masks are not effective are the ones who are least qualified to determine this. The WHO, CDC, Mayo Clinic, all of the state and federal medical experts, your own physician, etc. etc all declare that masks will reduce the transmission of the virus. Even I know this from my microbiology degree from 35 years ago.

However those who have no qualifications somehow know better than those who are qualified. I think these are the ones who flunked science class, or worse, never even studied science.

Just because you don't want to wear a mask does not mean you should rationalize that they are not effective. Be real and quit living in your fantasy world.  The reality is that masks will reduce your risk of spreading the virus to others if you are infected, and reduce the risk that you will inhale it from others through aerosol from others around you.

BMST and other racing events have been cancelled because of concern for participant safety. SCTA is taking a big chance with your safety by not requiring masks. Will they be requiring racers to sign a waiver that you will not sue them if you become infected as a result of the lax standards?

There WILL be attendants at Speedweek, in the hotels, in the restaurants, who are infected and do or don't know it.  Those are the odds. When you are standing near that man or woman wouldn't you want to be wearing a mask, and want that person to be wearing a mask?

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer