Author Topic: Woo Hoo the website is back  (Read 2552 times)

Offline salt27

Woo Hoo the website is back
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »
I was having some with drawl issues, thanks for getting the site back up.   :clap

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Woo Hoo the website is back
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
Anybody else getting a pink banner saying the default theme directory is wrong... with a click here?
I'm not clicking on that....  :?
 cromag  :deal  aktion086
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »
No banner here, could it be because you are an administrator?

Offline aircap

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 12:13:03 AM »
So glad this forum is back. 20 years ago this was the first forum I registered on, and I enjoy it every day. Thanks for returning.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
Yup, I'm thinking the banner is just for admins.  Fixable, but not tonight!

The site went down because of $17 that we (well, Jon) was billed for that we shouldn't have been billed for as that service was taken care of long ago and was turned off.  Even though they (the host) has names and phone numbers and emails and all that, no personal notice was given, they just shut the **software edit** Dodge thing down.  Not only that, they deleted everything from the server!  So... for an un-owed $17, we (Jon) had to pay it through a collection agency, and wait a couple days, and then get the files restored.  Mostly.  For me, the pisser is I can't do any traceback.... as to software versions, what happened when, etc.  The contract was completely blown away, and all that is gone.  New contract, no info.  No info as to what I consider their screwup.

FWIW, at the same time, this happened with another site I do, no warning, it just disappeared.  I've been with this host for lots of years, got Jon and the other guy to get accounts for all their stuff.  I don't know what triggered them to be such hardasses all of a sudden.....This irritates me no end.

So the main site and Gallery came up.

Yup, WooHoo!

But the Forum was down.  Short story....   It was rebuilt a year or so ago because of software 'upgrades' that rendered it semi-obsolete. The database pro we hooked up with did a good job, converted it, it worked fine.  BUT when they 'restored' the site, they grabbed the old version of the database.  Easily fixed, just an hour and 15 on the phone with "Ace" in the Philippines, to get the right stuff hooked up.  I'm really really glad I kept good notes (like the database number, hostname, etc.), otherwise all that would have been gone down their black hole.   He was great, probably cussing his employer as bad as I was.  I know there'll be glitches (like the theme) but hopefully we can take care of them locally (well, between MI and NM anyway). 

Bob the Web Elf

PS, I see that I wanted to say d-a-m-n, but the forum turned it to "Dodge".  WTF?  Who runs this place?   :-D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:26:52 AM by bobc »
Web Elf

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 12:35:07 AM »
I'm glad the site is back up. I'd start looking for another web host.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 12:58:51 AM »
I'm glad the site is back up. I'd start looking for another web host.

They've been good for about 14 years at least.... this is out of character.  Changing hosts would be *major*.......

BtWE
Web Elf