Author Topic: Measuring Wheel Loading  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Ian Northeast

Measuring Wheel Loading
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:42:35 AM »
Hello all,
I have been advised by an exceptionally clever man that it is worth measuring wheel loading during real life testing.
Seems like a very sensible idea, I didn't want to appear too unprepared so I obviously agreed with him.
The issue is, I have no idea how I can measure wheel loading, does anyone out there know how it's done?

Ian

Offline jimmy six

Re: Measuring Wheel Loading
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
Sounds like a computer deal to me.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »
Some form of data logger with multiple inputs;
Rear Wheel Speed
Front Wheel speed or GPS speed input
RPM
Throttle position sensor

How deep are your pockets?
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline datadoc

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
Before you get too deep in the woods there are a few issues you should think about. I'm guessing by wheel load you are talking about suspension travel? Are we talking about a bike or a car? Will the vehicle have suspension or not?   Does your clever friend know what he is talking about? There would be some situations where looking at wheel loads/travel would be number 25 on my list of things to monitor and some where it would be at the top of the list. I think we could be more helpful to you by knowing more about the application/details.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »
I dunnaknow ? but ask Mr. Dincau about wheel speed readings and what's gonna happen.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
Wait, are you talking about static or dynamic wheel loads?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Ian Northeast

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:18:41 AM »
Thank you all,
To clarify firstly it is a standard bodied car using the original suspension with some aero mods.www.worldsfastestjensen.co.uk
The exceptionally clever man is the designer of Thrust SSC, JCB Dieselmax and Bloodhound. I am very lucky to know people that know people.
Our conversation was regarding our aerodynamic package, specifically trying to deal with high pressure air inside the wheel arches to prevent excessive lift.
I assume he is suggesting that we are try and measure that there is no aerodynamic changes as we pass 200 mph.
My biggest issue is being in the UK we have no place to test our car in the real world so I have to try and get the car as right as I can before we leave for the salt.

Ian

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 03:33:34 AM »
Ian

That is not a standard bodied car - a CV8 Jensen is way cooler that.  :-D

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.