Author Topic: Need help from some Speed Week veterans  (Read 13117 times)

Offline GearHeadTour

• New folks
    • GearHeadTour
Need help from some Speed Week veterans
« on: May 17, 2020, 04:00:36 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm currently planning for a trip to the Bonneville Speed Week 2020 for filming a segment for our show GearHeadTour.  While I am a car fanatic, and a fan of racing of many kinds (in general) I have never been to the salt flats, nor to the Speed Week event.  I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a few things:

1. Where should I be planning to focus my time?  Is there any particular area where more is going on, or is it spread out along the entire course?

2. Is there anything you think might help me to understand what it's like to shoot at Speed Week?  Are you able to get good footage from the ground, or do spectators become a problem?

3. Does anyone have an interesting story or vehicle and would like to have an on-camera interview? Or, do you know someone that has an interesting story or vehicle and they would like to be interviewed?  If so, feel free to use the contact form on our website, or email me from this forum (email is listed publicly)

I know some of this might get answered by the media contacts for the event, but I always like to get input from people in the mix.  I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's like to shoot this event, before I have to figure it out on-site.

Our show doesn't launch until sometime in August, 2020.  Not sure when the Bonneville stuff would air.  Probably some time in December or after.  I attached a picture of our show's host, Amanda.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Need help from some Speed Week veterans
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
PM sent.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MRK

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm currently planning for a trip to the Bonneville Speed Week 2020 for filming a segment for our show GearHeadTour.  While I am a car fanatic, and a fan of racing of many kinds (in general) I have never been to the salt flats, nor to the Speed Week event.  I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a few things:

1. Where should I be planning to focus my time?  Is there any particular area where more is going on, or is it spread out along the entire course?

2. Is there anything you think might help me to understand what it's like to shoot at Speed Week?  Are you able to get good footage from the ground, or do spectators become a problem?

3. Does anyone have an interesting story or vehicle and would like to have an on-camera interview? Or, do you know someone that has an interesting story or vehicle and they would like to be interviewed?  If so, feel free to use the contact form on our website, or email me from this forum (email is listed publicly)

I know some of this might get answered by the media contacts for the event, but I always like to get input from people in the mix.  I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's like to shoot this event, before I have to figure it out on-site.

Our show doesn't launch until sometime in August, 2020.  Not sure when the Bonneville stuff would air.  Probably some time in December or after.  I attached a picture of our show's host, Amanda.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Start with a day at technical inspections on Friday
The drivers meeting on Saturday is a "must do".
A Bonneville sunrise viewed from Impound has got to be on your list. That will start on Sunday.
The rest of the time is spent running around the pits, hanging out at the starting line(s), buying swag from the merch trailer and generally just having a good time.
Don't forget the car show at the Nugget.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:27:06 PM »
You can't shoot too much B roll. IMO this is where most Bonneville videos fall short. Multiple cameramen are very useful because you have a huge area to cover.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 11:38:03 PM »
Might make someone a good avatar 1drink
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 7707

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 01:12:57 AM »
You need to contact the SCTA / BNI for permission to film to start with.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »
You need to contact the SCTA / BNI for permission to film to start with.

Yep, you get a little better access with a press vest... they will furnish the rules for filming.
Good Luck with your project, public exposure is always good for our sport.

Yes Jerry and Johnboy, I know it is not Friday  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
Oh sure Bob....single me out...again. :cheers: :-D
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline GearHeadTour

• New folks
    • GearHeadTour
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »
You can't shoot too much B roll. IMO this is where most Bonneville videos fall short. Multiple cameramen are very useful because you have a huge area to cover.

I think you're right, you can never have enough B roll for any shoot!  It certainly sounds like the space is a challenge.  Thanks for the info!

Offline GearHeadTour

• New folks
    • GearHeadTour
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 03:00:05 PM »

A Bonneville sunrise viewed from Impound has got to be on your list. That will start on Sunday.
The rest of the time is spent running around the pits, hanging out at the starting line(s), buying swag from the merch trailer and generally just having a good time.

Thanks for te info.  How much traffic does the car show at the Nugget get?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »
I'd guess it's somewhere around 500 crowded into a small area with cocktail service.  Mixed bag ? hot rods, shot rods, supposed "vintage" rods, etc.  The race cars are all out on the salt (unless they know rain is coming).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MRK

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »

Thanks for te info.  How much traffic does the car show at the Nugget get?

The Nugget show used to be way more wide open. I believe they have pushed everybody to the top of the parking structure now. The Rolling Bone's crew seems to always have a very cool collection of traditionally styled rods that they drive out from New York. Certainly worthwhile to see at least once. 

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
Last year they moved the "show" to the East side parking lot... overflow was on top the parking structure... either that or there were just some cool cars parked up there next to my tow rig.  They don't allow their entrance to be blocked off any more. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Robert Rampton

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't our dear friends at the Salt Lake BLM office like to be informed if a commercial film project wishes to work on the flats?  Gives them the opportunity to make like they're working  and shake the production company down for some large bills for a permit.
Happily afflicted with salt fever since 1988.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
When you think, you don't know....why you make than such a so comment and start to get us all in trouble.......

if you don't know....than write nothing or inform yourself at first that you know it right....

but this here is BS.....

by the way....why is this thread not called the right way....maybe than there will be the right answers....

"Need help from some Speed Week Media veterans..."

maybe the know :roll: :roll: :roll:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't our dear friends at the Salt Lake BLM office like to be informed if a commercial film project wishes to work on the flats?  Gives them the opportunity to make like they're working  and shake the production company down for some large bills for a permit.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)