Author Topic: Fire sensor  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Fire sensor
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »
I'm thinking that a small rear-view mirror strategically located in my rear engine lakester (which has separate manual engine/driver extinguishing systems) would be a huge improvement over having no indication of engine fire. Comments?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Das Bullet

• New folks
Re: Fire sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »
Years ago I bought a $35 back up camera kit that came with the camera and small screen. I mounted the camera on the firewall facing the engine on my rear engine car with screen mount next to my gauge panel.  With the engine cover on the screen is black if I ever see a flicker of light I will release the chute and then engine fire bottles.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
Way back in 89 after Al had a bad engine fire in Betsy (Liner) I put some snap switches in the engine compartment hooked up to a light on the dash. The light only ever came on one time & the sucker was on fire!
  Sid.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS788US788&sxsrf=ALeKk037LvgquwPjsnQPRcCk1-8iQIuh_Q%3A1588872220154&ei=HES0Xp7wCI6DtQa5vLK4CA&q=furnace+snap+switch&oq=furnsnap+switch&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgYIABAHEB46BAgAEEc6BAgAEA1QlVNY3WFg0YABaABwAngAgAGeAYgBygSSAQMwLjSYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »
Great idea Sid. Simple, cheep and reliable. Do you remember the temperature range you used? Don Vesco once told us "if you think you are on fire, you probably are not". He said "when your on fire you will know it".

Our car, 1000 Bockscar, is small and it gets hot in the engine area. We have been very lucky. Have melted plastic parts and had an oil leak with lots of smoke never a fire. We double rap our exhaust and anything near or above the exhaust is covered with fire sleeve.  Stopped melting plastic parts and seams if oil gets on it, it smokes but the surface temperature is low enough not to light a fire.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:05:29 PM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »
I think I used 250f back then on Betsy but that's what I've put in my liner. On Betsy I put them in the chassis under the zoomies with no heat protection & right behind the blower & they worked fine.  I've set them up as doubles in every location in mine so I have two separate systems so I'll see two lights.
Many rear engine cars have burned up pretty bad by drivers that were still $hittin & gittin because they had no way of knowing the muther was on fire!
  Sid.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:38 AM »
... rear engine cars have burned up pretty bad by drivers that were still $hittin & gittin because they had no way of knowing the muther was on fire!...
That is my concern.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
I defer to Mike Browns linear heat detection cable solution for the Lakester per this conversation.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
I defer to Mike Browns linear heat detection cable solution for the Lakester per this conversation.
??  Fishing line and a spring loaded switch?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
Fishing line and a spring loaded switch?

I think those are available at Claymore Technology...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Little early on Friday Robert.....
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »
If fishing line is connected to some funky fire detection electrical cable that is wired to a circuit board with 3 LEDs showing live, fault or fire, then yes, that solution  :-D

Possibly a cultural divide re terminology but is the claymore reference to things that go bang in the night?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
Idiot lights aren't enough for some people who would be better off with a piece of fishing line hooked up to a spring loaded hand that slaps them up the side of the head! "The muther's on f^@*ing fire dumba$$!". :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
. . . and I guess that I'm just a pussy, but the only thing I've looked at after getting in 4th gear by the 1 was the tach ? and it don't move.

I don't think I could be trusted to look at a rear-view mirror.  Nothing much is happening, but I was always anticipating it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »
Stan, was the rear view mirror to see where you were going?  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
Come on, Wayno . . .

The Notch got me on my first long course ride with the D motor.  Just scared me, I didn't come around.  Next two runs were record, record.

But years later when I put a PosiTraction differential in with the C motor, it was quite a trip, just taking a look at how to read the signs backwards.  We put the 1-leg in and went record, record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records