Author Topic: Pre-Fab Bolt-in Roll Cage welded in, Legal?  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Pre-Fab Bolt-in Roll Cage welded in, Legal?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 07:38:49 PM »
Hondata crash if you haven't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJJeukIWSA
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
I can only speak to what  a late model caddy had to do they started out with something that looked very similar--- they had to tie the bottom of the legs front and rear legs together, run one between the two rear at the  bottom legs run a floor bar from back lower cross bar, to the highest point front cross bar that ran from bottom of legs up over tunnel to the other front leg. Then ran tubes under the drivers seat between the lower preminiter bar and the floor bar---

bottom line in my opinion you will end up with something that looks very similar to the diagram in the rule book---

if the car completely blows up and apart the driver will still be inside the cage with their legs contained by the funny car straps and their arms with the arm straps--- their head contained by the seat side bars and HANS   ymmv
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:11:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »
how about L Sicillio cage afterwards  that is another cage inspiring  photo
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 01:18:31 AM »
Sparky,
I have attached some pics of the cage I did for Lloyd Siallaci several years ago. The car was a 914 Porsche, which is uni-body made from 1 mm (.039) sheet metal. I attached the cage to the chassis in as many places as I could. All of the main tubes attached to a 1/8 inch plate that was the required size and that plate was welded to another 1/8 plate that was at least 1 inch larger in each dimension than the base plate and it was welded to the car. This made the equivalent of the required 1/4 plate but spread the loads over a much larger area.I also chamfered the edge of the plate that I welded to the chassis to minimize the amount of heat required to make a good weld and not melt a hole in the 1 mm sheet metal. I also did some of the base plate to the chassis using silicon/bronze rod which provides a very wide but compliant weld bead and requires less heat than steel rod. I also made the cage go under the driver for protection from the bottom as that 1mm sheet does not do much.

Rex   
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 07:56:00 PM »
Nice Rex  the bigest diffference was the Caddy had what amounted to an upper and lower halo but tied for and aff and around the driver very very similiar

LANDSPEEDRX8

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:43 PM »
Just want to say this support from the LSR community is incredible.  Thank you to all those who have shared your opinion, guidance and advice.  Coming from a drag racing background the LSR responses and conduct are much different to say the least.
I think we?re on the right track now.
Thanks again.

#GODSPEED
#GODBLESSAMERICA
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:23:07 PM by LANDSPEEDRX8 »