Author Topic: BMST 2020 Cancelled.  (Read 1935 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
BMST 2020 Cancelled.
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »
I just got an email from BMST that the 2020 event is cancelled. Sad news as I was actually ready to go this year. I am hoping the organization can hang on financially to put on the event next yet. Keep it going Delvene and company!

Don

Email follows:

"APRIL 28, 2020, POULSBO, Wash:  The heartbreaking actualities of the COVID-19 pandemic leaves us no other choice but to cancel the 2020 Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials (BMST), an annual FIM World Records and AMA Grand Championship event.  We want to race, and we know you do, too, but the health and well-being of our Land Speed Racing family is BMST?s top priority. 
In partnership with the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and the F?d?ration Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), we?ve already been developing and implementing dynamic improvements to ensure the future of our sport for generations to come.  With the extra time that this postponement affords, we plan to do more to make the 2021 BMST, August 28 through September 2, even more exciting and memorable.  Our goal in the year ahead is to expand and build the Land Speed Racing community through commitment, focus, and creativity. 
Amidst this crisis, we feel energized to develop and roll out new programs and resources in the coming weeks and months.  Highlighting passion, purpose, and performance, BMST is committed to providing continued support for the global motorcycle family that has participated since its launch in 2004.  It takes a large community of racers, teams, and sponsors to realize this event.  During this next year we will be putting added focus on these elements.
All income, from registration fees, merchandise sales, and sponsorship, is used directly to defray the costs associated with producing the premier Motorcycle Land Speed Racing event. From ownership on down, BMST is 100% volunteer run, by a crew of phenomenal fans who devote their own time and resources to make it a roaring success. We still have significant financial expenditures to make throughout 2020 and into 2021. BMST has to replace and upgrade large equipment, including trailers and radio communications. We cannot do this without your help to make 2021 a year for the history books. "

?We will be working hard for next year?s event, and we will stay connected along the way to ensure that we all get our prescribed dose of salt to carry us forward up to and through 2021,? said Delvene Reber. ?We may not be able to race this year, but we still have our racing family.?
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Re: BMST 2020 Cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
Having been helping out with fitting out the new merch trailer right before lockdown hit WA state, I know this decision was weighing VERY heavily on Del's mind. I admire the maturity that she has shown calling it early so that we can all make adjustments to our plans. Yes, it totally sucks that we will miss this year. The flip side is that it allows some extra time not only for us racers to get our bikes really dialed in, but also allows Del and crew to complete some much needed upgrades to equipment that has pretty much been eaten alive by the salt, sun and wind. I'll suggest that now more than ever will be a good time to offer what we can to help with those upgrades so that BMST 2021 will be a top notch event.

(plus this gives me time to do a CFD analysis so I can smoke that record in 2021...)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:10:52 PM by Doc B. »

Offline gowing

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »
Well.......... #%**@!

I can't say that I am surprised, but I am definitely disappointed.
   This changes my plan considerably.  I was planning on running my bike this year with a stock engine
and concentrating on rideablity before putting in a hot engine and trying to go fast in 2021.
   Now, I guess I'll spend the next year and a half trying to turbo a goldwing.

A BIG thanks for making the call early and keeping us all from wondering.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 09:33:13 PM »
Sad for many of you..........I was not planning to attend this year as we hope to be in Alaska and the Yukon for most of this summer. Hope to see everyone and some new faces (bikes) in 2021. In the meantime, I am working on a plan to promote the BMST at 2 or more bike dealerships.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre