Author Topic: Black oxide fasteners not all "equal"  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Black oxide fasteners not all "equal"
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:13:10 AM »
The finish on these bolts was a nice match to the satin black paint under the hood of my '59 GMC so I hadn't painted them. They looked fine for a couple of years, but as I recently got the truck out of winter storage- UGH! I don't remember the source of them, but I've usually had better experience with black oxide finish.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Black oxide fasteners not all "equal"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:36:37 AM »
Hey Jack that looks like a lot of the fasteners on the race car.... mine, not yours....  :lol:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »
Jack, the black oxide doesn't provide much protection. It's the oil that the surface retains that does it, just like gun bluing.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jww36

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
McMaster-Carr offers 18-8 Stainless Steel fasteners in black oxide. A nice satin finish. Price is not bad. A package of twenty five 1/4-20 allen bolts is about 8 bucks.

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
Gus used black oxide allen buttonheads to attach his pickups wheel flairs (it was my idea).

A couple years later he needed to remove them to paint the truck and we had to use a sawzall but they did look nice.     :-P

Don

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:26:05 AM »
Jack, the black oxide doesn't provide much protection. It's the oil that the surface retains that does it, just like gun bluing.

Of all the "processing", black oxide provides the least corrosion protection.   As Neil points out, it's the oil on the black oxide that "delays" corrosion.   The "black" is for appearance.

"Plating", of various types offers somewhat better corrosion resistance, but even chrome plating can be corroded underneath.   You might want to consult a chart of "salt exposure corrosion results for various materials, platings and coatings."

I suggest that racers choose a fastener based on suitability/cost/looks/corrosion resistance, not in any particular order.   If my memory serves me correctly, 316 stainless has the best corrosion resistance of any readily available fastener.   It is, of course, very expensive.

To quote the "Wisdom of Booger",  (an old racing "acquaintance" . . . . . .)
"Yo pays yo money, and takes yo choice."

:dhorse:
F/b

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
FB is correct. Black oxide is for oil retention and little else. Widely used on camshafts, lifters and other engine components needing oil retention.

I purchased stainless steel, 1/4-28, flat head hex drive bolts from eBay for around $12 per pack of 25. Not sure what grade stainless they are but have worked out well so far. You get your choice of length too.

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
Hey John, faster than ebay.... Wichita Fasteners on Oak Street in Delano... and cheaper! 
Stainless would look good on the truck Jack, just remember all stainless fasteners need anti-seize.
I have a lot of 1/4 and 5/16 fasteners on the race car... including stainless nyloc nuts... yep those get anti-seize as well.
I think the same as Gun Blue... a little wax protection can help...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
Instead of anti-sieze I am using Loctite 567 thread sealant with a 25 percent reduction from the dry torque reading to account for the lubricity.  Enough sealant is used for it to ooze out from under the bolt head, nut head, or washers when the fastener is tightened.  The goop provides some locking capabilities and it seals the gaps between the fastener and the clamped pieces to prevent electrolytic corrosion.  It seems to work OK.  No problems experienced except for the cost of the stuff.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »
... Stainless would look good on the truck Jack...
"Looks good" is in the eye of the beholder. My goal with this truck, generally, is to preserve the original '59 design. Bright bolt heads on the black inner fender panels would look garrish. So I just cleaned up the rust and painted them black.
Thanks for the comments. I did use plenty of stainless fasteners to put the truck together, mostly where they're out of sight.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 11:04:16 PM »
Jack... lots of stainless fasteners come in black....
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 01:26:10 AM »
I didn't know that. Thanks, Robert.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
Silicone spray is not only good for sealing moisture out of electrical connections but will prevent corrosion forming on bare metal parts like bolts & nuts. I've even had safe sex with it! aktion086 Ok, that was a lie but it got your attention didn't it!
  Sid.   

Offline salt27

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »
Silicone spray I've even had safe sex with it!
  Sid.   

Sid, none of my business but I'm curious, was someone/something else involved or just you and the silicone?       :?

Offline JimL

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
I should comment on silicone spray and.....anything to do with a vehicle.  That silicone was a nightmare for us in the auto industry.  Much of the "shine up the interior" stuff has silicone in it.  We saw many failures with Cruise Control and brake electric circuits because it found its way into switches.  Silicone spray used under the hood to "spiff up" a used car gave us EFI problems, ABS failures (repeat trouble codes until you just threw away everything and started over). 

Unbelievable how many crazy problems were caused by "auto detailer" services.  Especially the ones that come to your home or office and "detail" your car.  We spent years teaching the dealers how to avoid ruining a perfectly good car/truck....and then the customer clips a coupon out of the paper and orders up a boat-load of trouble.

The worst place to have silicone spray is around anything painted.  It is an amazing molecule that figures out how to creep under paint and start peeling it off.  All it takes in one little pit or scratch and away it goes.

We went to BIG extremes of control in our factories to prevent bad paint jobs.  Employees are not even allowed to use deodorant or hair products, because there is a little silicone there and it can get into the air and make fish-eyes in the paint.  We even had to carefully cover our shoes before entering the finish booths, because many shoes have traces of silicone that was used in the molding or assembly/stitching processes.

We finally forbid our dealers to have any silicone sprays in the parts or service departments.  What a nightmare....the stuff was like a virus.....it could get places we couldn't imagine and was nearly impossible to clean up.

I still hate that stuff. :x :x