Author Topic: BadHorse Build Diary (2010 shelby gt500)  (Read 5413 times)

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
  • thank you for flying ford airlines
BadHorse Build Diary (2010 shelby gt500)
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
well i was reading a few of these and i think I've got the gist of it. well,,,,,,,,, i have so many questions as i start my journey to fly on the salt. and yes i know i need a rule book and im ordering one in the next couple days. but i figure this is as good a place as any to think out loud and have yall play devils advocate. i not only welcome your constructive criticism but look forward to it.

anyway a little about me, cutting up this classic to run on the salt ( yes i know about the 130 mph and 150 mph clubs) is the culmination of a dream ive had since i first got interested in motor vehicles back in the early 70's. i had heroes like Don Vesco! this drove me to read every printed word every year on Bonneville. i pushed and pushed to learn everything i could about engine building and building fast cars, i was even the service manager of a speed shop in orange county ca. now i do realize that in all these decades ive not only forgotten lots, but as i dive back in to motor sports yall changed everything. sheesh!

now my car, which i have taken to calling "BadHorse" (and yes there is a story) is an unmarked shelby surrounded by weirdness. it has the "P8J" delivery code in the vin, and "cd"build code on the door sticker for the gt500 rear end and third member (talk about saving money right there) which means thorsen 3rd, 3:55 gears and 31 spline axles. i honestly dont know what engine is in my car (4.6l or 5.4l 3v's). doesnt really matter i'll work with what i have and go from there. i will tell you this, this car goes like hell on pavement! 110 in 3rd gear, 145ish in 4th, and my speedo doesnt register 5th but i will tell you this i do know ive been in the 170s with this weirdo S197! and i dont like the lift in the nose at that speed, way to twitchy but an easy fix!

the day i picked up my car

it was near this location i found a straight as an arrow dirt road that was flat and smooth as glass and roughly 10ish miles long and laid into her and got up over 140mph bringing back my want to run on the salt

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: BadHorse Build Diary (2010 shelby gt500)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
Well, I'll go first...

WELCOME & Good Luck with your project!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:18:02 AM »
Well, I'll go first...

WELCOME & Good Luck with your project!

thank yo so very much! its very exciting to be at the beginning of this journey knowing there is truly no end

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
You mentioned your photography as well. Beautiful photos!

Lower the car as much as you can and if you run any class but Production, an air dam will help with the front lift (usually- some testing is in order) but generally helps  overall drag as well. On my car adding an air dam reduced the Cd 20 counts, reduced front lift several hundred pounds, but increased rear lift. Rear spoilers are limited to factory only until you get to Altered which is another kettle of fish entirely.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
You mentioned your photography as well. Beautiful photos!

Lower the car as much as you can and if you run any class but Production, an air dam will help with the front lift (usually- some testing is in order) but generally helps  overall drag as well. On my car adding an air dam reduced the Cd 20 counts, reduced front lift several hundred pounds, but increased rear lift. Rear spoilers are limited to factory only until you get to Altered which is another kettle of fish entirely.

after i make the 150 mph club qualification i plan on an air dam, and or front spliter. im also looking into wings and diffuses for the rear. with the weirdness of my car i dont know if it will be allowed in production, and im probably an altered guy anyway. my true goal is to slip my car up over 200 mph and still keep my license plates.

and yes i am a photographer, and im looking forward to shooting at Bonneville!! im sure there will be some happy folks to get copies of my work
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:32:38 AM by BadHorse »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »
Not only are your car and your photos rather nice but it looks like you have a pretty awesome partner as well!  :clap :clap :clap

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 12:35:57 PM »
You will have a good understanding of the classes after you get your rule book and attend an event or 2.  The USFRA clubs are a great way to get started in LSR on the salt. 
Welcome to the fray...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
Welcome...this is a great place to learn and ask for advice.  So much knowledge exists on the forum.  Look forward to seeing you on the salt!

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 04:43:59 PM »
Not only are your car and your photos rather nice but it looks like you have a pretty awesome partner as well!  :clap :clap :clap

Pete

thank you! you'll see lots of proffessional quality photos here real soon. the dog is and i kid you not RinTinTin V last of his line and i got him from Lee Duncans daughter. the Duncan family named him so,,,,,,,,,, but yeah he's my best friend and a service dog. i even have a custom restraint system in the car for him.

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:03 PM »
You will have a good understanding of the classes after you get your rule book and attend an event or 2.  The USFRA clubs are a great way to get started in LSR on the salt. 
Welcome to the fray...  :cheers:

yeah i kinda know how this works, old time drag racer. run at el mirage a couple times. the people are awesome, and the people reaching out to me and welcoming me is what i miss about the old days. i want to dive in head first. find someone i can crew for and i want to volunteer while running/building my car. its like meeting family

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »
always remember,
you can choose your friends, you cannot choose your family.
welcome aboard, John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 08:01:10 PM »
G'day BadHorse,, I travel (from Australia) to the States quiet often and am always interested in 'ole USA (drove thru and around Battle Mountain last year), im interested to know where that last photo was taken ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »
G'day BadHorse,, I travel (from Australia) to the States quiet often and am always interested in 'ole USA (drove thru and around Battle Mountain last year), im interested to know where that last photo was taken ??

about an hour south of I80 beowawae exit

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
im new to Bonneville building. im shopping for roll cages and i need recommendations. and no i dont have a rule book yet

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
Question time BadHorse?

How fast do you really want to go?
Are you trying to build a dual porpoise vehicle?
Are you considering returning it back to a "collector" car when you are finished racing?
And just for GP, weight in general, is not a bad thing in a land speed car. Especially a coupe like yours.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...