Author Topic: 100 Years Ago ...  (Read 1367 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

100 Years Ago ...
« on: April 15, 2020, 06:52:39 AM »
On 14 April 1920 Gene Walker, riding an Indian at Daytona Beach, set the first internationally-recognised two-way outright land speed record for motorcycles.  103.75 mph over the mile, with a fastest one-way (over the km) of 115.78 mph.

The factory Indian team (2 riders, 3 motorcycles) attacked multiple records in the period 12-15 April, including those set a couple of months previously by the factory Harley-Davidson team (also at Daytona Beach).

Sitting here in lockdown, I am trying to track down the details of what happened over those four days in April.  I have been directed to a letter from Joe Bailey published in a UK magazine in which he refers to a 1923 conversation with "that charming character Mr. W. H. Wells, the Managing Director of the Indian Motor Cycle Company".

Bailey then reveals that he subsequently received a letter from Wells "containing the times and speeds of every run made by both riders, along with notes on the timing, course, etc.".

So, does a copy of that letter survive?  Did Billy Wells provide similar information to others?  Do the Indian records from that time still exist, perhaps in a museum?

All a bit unlikely I know, but I thought it worth asking whether anyone here has any relevant information not readily available to the general public.

As far as I know, Gene Walker did not muutt at Daytona.  :-)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: 100 Years Ago ...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »
The book "Images from America:  Daytona Beach 100 Years of Racing" by Harry Cardwell Sr. has info about that time and place with some pictures.  ISBN-13 978-0-7385-1427-7  It lists sources for the material such as private collections and local museums.  Send me an e-mail if you want it.  You pay for the shipping to the UK and it is yours for free.     

Offline Pismire

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »
100 years ago, that 's quite a long time ago.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
100 years ago, that 's quite a long time ago.

Jace... feel free to introduce yourself on the intro thread so we are sure you are not a bot or spammer....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O