Author Topic: Sir Stirling Moss  (Read 3474 times)

Offline TD

Re: Sir Stirling Moss
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »
RIP Sir Stirling.  For reasons illustrated in this thread when I hear or think the name "Moss" I immediately think the word "crumpet".

Manta22, those are amazing shots, thanks for sharing!

Tim

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 09:15:45 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 12:31:26 AM »
manta22- Were you a US serviceman in Germany? I was USAF at SpangDahlem 1964-67, just a half hour from Nuerburgring. Shortly before leaving, I checked one item off my bucket list, by driving two laps of the 'ring on a non-race weekend! It was still the 27km course then, about 16 miles. Is your second photo a spot on the western side (looking east)?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:35:39 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
manta22- Were you a US serviceman in Germany? I was USAF at SpangDahlem 1964-67, just a half hour from Nuerburgring. Shortly before leaving, I checked one item off my bucket list, by driving two laps of the 'ring on a non-race weekend! It was still the 27km course then, about 16 miles. Is your second photo a spot on the western side (looking east)?

Well, Jack, I was in Germany when I was in the Army in '60 to '63 but I took those pictures when I was there in high school. I was an Army Brat so we lived in lots of places, Japan & Germany as well as all over the US. That second picture was taken just past the North Curve and before the Adenau Bridge.

While I was there stationed in Babenhausen with a Corporal missile unit I drove my '63 VW 1500 notchback around the 'Ring. I did 14:53 scaring myself sh!tless. When I was there in high school (Frankfurt HS) I went up to the 'Ring in a friends '48 Mercury and rode around one lap in it. That was a hoot. The course that you and I drove is not the same as today- shorter, re-paved, Armco barriers replacing trees, etc. I'll bet your experience was memorable, Jack!

That era of GP racing was exciting, the F1 of today just isn't as interesting to me.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
Neil, nothing better than the smell of castor bean oil in the air except maybe, nitro. My introduction was a first visit to the the LA Times Gran Prix at the late Riverside International Raceway (inside turn six).

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:31:53 PM by ggl205 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
Neil, nothing better than the smell of castor bean oil in the air except maybe, nitro. My first introduction was a first visit to the the LA Times Gran Prix at that the late Riverside Raceway track (inside turn six).

John

Yes, the smell of nitro is wonderful. In the '50s the GP cars did not have to run on strictly approved gasoline so I suspect there was some nitro in the tank. Castor oil and nitro- wow what a smell when mixed together.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 01:58:36 AM »
Yes, I was fortunate to have the opportunity. But you got me- I didn't get under 16 minutes with my 4,200 pound '57 Chev station wagon (upgraded suspension and brakes, Pontiac Tri-Power engine). Actually, I was only capable of "pushing it" about 2/3 of the way around- besides being a nervous wreck, I was exhausted (manual steering but with the power steering ratio). I took the caps off the headers for the second lap- which did turn some heads as I power-slid around the dogleg leading to the paddock. If all the turns were that visible- instead of mountains blocking the view- it wouldn't be nearly as nerve-wracking.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
I am sorry to report the loss of another icon of racing- John Horsman has died. He was at the pinnacle of sports car endurance racing during it's "Golden Age". John was an excellent engineer and a fine gentleman- and my good friend.

John started work for Aston- Martin after graduation from Cambridge University, working for John Weyer. When Weyer left to go to newly-formed Ford Advanced Vehicles (FAV), Horsman went with him. At FAV, they built and developed the Ford GT40. This led to John Weyer Automotive Engineering (JWAE) where they raced the GT40 and an advanced version, the Mirage. They were remarkably successful, winning Le Mans twice with the exact same car! Porsche approached JWAE to take over their racing program and it became legendary after John Horsman solved the high speed stability problems of the Porsche 917. John Horsman became chief engineer and eventually managing director when Weyer retired. Later John moved to Arizona and designed a series of sports racing cars. John and his wife lived in Tucson and he frequently was invited to various events where he delighted the audience with stories about his career in racing. His book "Racing In the Rain" is a classic and serves as a fitting memorial to a great man.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that Neil!  :-(
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »
Sorry for your loss Neil.

Well, he'll have good company at the big Race Track . . .

:-(
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
He didnt believe in seat belts for race cars.  He said he would rather be ejected then burn to death