Author Topic: Automated Parachute deployment  (Read 3662 times)

Offline coryanderson

• New folks
Automated Parachute deployment
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and am yet to learn the ropes of the whole thing. Im from New Zealand and currently in year 13 (12th grade for those Americans). My dad is an engineer\fabricator and is currently building a Dodge Charger that was meant to run at Speedweek this year but COVID ruined all those plans. Heres the link to his website with the build and photos. https://www.sonicrace.co.nz/index.php/current-projects/andrew-mandy-sinclair-s-bonneville-charger. For a school project, I am looking to develop a safety system for the car involving the parachutes. I have a pretty solid idea for most of the aspects of it but I'm after opinions from people who are more experienced then me or anyone I know in this sport.

I have a programmable computer that has the ability to be connected to a bunch of different sensors including a Gyroscope and also wheel speed or driveshaft speed sensors. My thinking was, if I linked the gyroscope with the wheel speed sensors, I could use the computer to activate solenoids\actuators to pull the parachute levers. They are cable operated not pneumatic. For example, if the computer sees a directional velocity change of X, at a speed greater then Y, then it will pull the chutes straight away. This would stop the chutes getting pulled at low speed and also reduce the risk a rollover crash.

Any opinions would be great. If you notice any shortcomings in the idea, some feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks and sorry for the excessive talking :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Automated Parachute deployment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
Cory, sorry we didn't get to race too, but we managed to see a lot of beautiful Australian coast line while we were there. 
I will be looking forward to your approach for auto chute deployment.  It is something I have thought about a lot.  We use electric chute deployment. 
Get after it and keep us posted.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »
The gyroscopic triggering of chute(s) deployment sounds good to me. But I'm new to the sport, so let's see what the veterans have to say.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:24:39 AM »
Stainless - I think Cory is from Tauranga on the northern island east of your antipodean adventures  :-D

Cory - cool project.

I am new here building a Lakester so I can't comment on your project but it made me go do some research - its probably obvious but I had never considered that most modern cars have yaw sensors fitted. I reckon what you are doing is a brilliant concept - the closest I got to computing was in the 6th form (ca. year 13 Gisborne, NZ) using punch cards to program in Fortran - you may have to look that up  :-)

Parachute activation via a push switch (therefore a boot / trunk solenoid release) is what I am using but the rules say there also needs to be a manual release so once you have figured out the best way to activate one without the other catching / interfering feel free to share too - mechanical, not electronic but still important. I am just about at the parachute bit on my build.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
Yep, rule 3.M needs to be covered.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
John, I did a little card punching in 1970 for a computer science class....  :cheers:
We have a cable actuated chute, with a old Chevy door lock actuator for electric release.  I am about to try to figure out how I'm going to do this one... back in the day we reached over the shoulder and pulled a t-handle.... then after the first spin out we went to electric and moved the T forward as a backup. 
Our actuator is at the back... so it does not move the T pull.  I have seen several that move the handle, we didn't have that kind of room inside.
Cory keep us posted.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:13:04 PM »
My manual release handle is a Martin Baker ejector seat pull from the 1970's - not sure what aircraft, it was new old stock on fleabay. I have two push buttons on the dash so I can trip the electric release with my right or my left index finger (assuming hands are straight ahead on the wheel  :-o ). If they are not I will need Cory's yaw sensor setup because its gone a bit sideways.

For the back end bit I was thinking three levers on a common fulcrum; the middle one attaches to the chute release cable going rearwards, the other two attach to either the trunk release solenoid or the cable to the manual pull, going forwards. Each has a tag that engages the middle lever. Both have a spring to pull them back so when one is engaged the other doesn't go all floppy. Anyone have any pics of something like this? Don't show Cory - he has to design one and share :cheers:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline jdolecki

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
An Arduino can do this easily and cheaply.

There are any number of tile/ angle, GPS or any other type of sensor out there that will work.