Author Topic: Will it happen - views?  (Read 44189 times)

Offline neandethal

Will it happen - views?
« on: March 28, 2020, 06:23:25 AM »
Hi All,

Trying to be organised and travelling from the UK, i booked our airline tickets early to get a good price, replied to Dora at Motel 6 to book our room, and now i'm wondering if i have got it all wrong.
What are peoples views on 1. Will speedweek happen. 2. Will it be at the dates shown 3. Will non-US citizens be able to attend.
thanks for any views, cheers Ian

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Will it happen - views?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:00:50 PM »
At this point I think that there are only vague guesses and opinions. Nobody knows much of anything about anything for sure.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 12:45:32 PM »
What scares me is this mantra of "flattening the curve"
Statistically, what happens when you flatten the curve?  You cannot suppress the area too much, a friend, Doctor who is in hard quarantine due to exposure has an opinion. And it is not 2 weeks.

Stay safe, the SCTA is not a fortune teller, they will do their best, be patient.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:13:05 PM »
New York is our ever changing measuring stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDmB9mRSHY

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Hey Ian.....definitely no where near out of the woods or even a point where anyone could make a decision.  I'm in Boise idaho about 6 hrs from the salt and we have numbers of covid 19 growing everyday. No signs of slowing down.  Just fyi.  Probably going to come down to last minute decisions.  Cheers
John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
The social distancing is the easy part.  Avoiding contamination from surfaces is the hard part.  Yesterday I needed some work clothes.  Put a plastic bag over my hand before opening the shop door.  Pointed out the items I needed and asked the clerk to pull them off the rack, ring them up, then bag them.  Handed him the credit card and he gave it back.  All this with the plastic bag on my hand.  Carried the bag out by pushing the shop door open with my shoulder and put the bag in the truck.  Drove home after disenfecting my hands.  Put another plastic bag on my hand.  Carried the clothes bag upstairs and tossed it in a bedroom.  Let it sit there three days so any virus on it will die.

Can you imagine doing this scale of effort while traveling abroad?  I can't.  It is such a PITA.  That, more than anything, calms down the racing scene until the virus goes away of they get a vaccine.     

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »
Another problem I am already experiencing due to this virus is a weakening supply chain. Many companies we use for race car parts still supply but those manufacturers who supply them are shuttered or not shipping. Even when we get the OK to go back to work, it will take time for manufacturing to ramp up again. It will take months for products to be made and shipped to distributors to restock their shelves. I have been trying to find a limited slip diff for my transaxle. None available here in the US, new or used, at least that I can find. To get a new one is impossible as Quaief, the manufacturer, is closed until UK government gives them the OK to open. So, how long will it take after manufacturing begins before my diff is available? Who knows. It may certainly be longer than I have to be ready for September. What a mess.

John

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 12:11:02 AM »
On Youtube Dr Price  in NYC says recent information shows 99% of covid 19 cases come from touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your face . That simple . 

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
Another unnamed doctor/virologist source says,"No matter what you hear, good or bad, don't believe it!"  :-P
I did not realize how many times a day I touched myself my face a day!  :? :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
PPE for the domesticated .....
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Ian Northeast

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 05:35:25 AM »
Hi all,
I am in exactly the same boat, having paid for my flights and accomodation.
The issue is, around now I should have been finalising the shipping of the car.
I am very much playing a waiting game at the moment, my hope now (I'm not trying to upset anyone here) is that the BLM make an early decision one way or the other. It would suit me if the event were now cancelled as the current situation has caused an unexpected drain on my resources.
The hope is that America is still not allowing people from the UK in so that both my flights and accomodation can be deffered for a year.
Still the car will be a lot cleaner than last time!
Ian

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
W/r/t government and medical experts:
1. they don't know
2. they're lying
3. they won't do what's necessary until it's too late

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »
1. they don't know
2. they're lying

Well you just explained the commander in chief perfectly!
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline ski123

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
1. they don't know
2. they're lying
[/quote

Not having a national stay at home directive is like having a peeing section in the pool. Don't wait, Do it!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »
Ian, consider the average age of the racers and folks who hold the events.  They will be staying in until it is safe to go out or until they have a vaccine.  Any race held this year might draw a very small crowd.  We do not know when "safe times" will come and things are getting worse.  I had a trip planned to the UK in May and had to cancel a lot of things.  There was less penalty from asking for a refund early.  Also, get your refund while the refunders are still in business.