Author Topic: Speedweek 2020  (Read 5090 times)

Offline 7707

Speedweek 2020
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:38 AM »
Feeling positive so I put my entry in yesterday for this years Speedweek. Giving me something to aim for. Anyone else entered?
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Speedweek 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
Not yet but I reserved my room.  :-)
Wayno

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
The snow has pretty much gone here now so I went out & fired up the Kiwi Motel yesterday & gave it a bit of a drive! :-D
  Sid.

Offline 7707

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:34:59 AM »
A little news update. Announced today by the US Government. The travel ban to all US visitors likely to stay in place for at least 6 months?.  This applies to Canadians, Brits, Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis.

So it looks like Speedweek will be lacking in any international competitors which, is very sad. They can open the border for a Golfer or Tennis player but Motor Racing as usual takes a back seat.

However it can all change as we know but it looks like I will have to cancel my Hotel, my crew flights, my RV, 8 barrels of Nitro and have my race car sitting for another f*****g year.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
Geoff, that sucks.

I was pondering whether to revisit my RV holiday booking with my wife for August, sites of interest to include the Utah and Nevada national parks including the saline lake district - I now know the answer to that thought.

It seems like a bit of a random selection as NZ and Aus are tracking at around 4 CV-19 deaths per million (compared to the UK at 627) so there is something personal against the antipodes in that ban.   :-(

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
I fear...that's it....tough.....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:24:11 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 7707

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
What is frustrating is that BA are taking money and say they have flights. But, Dr Fuici I think that is how it?s spelt says very clearly.....the borders are shut to ALL Foreigners. Full stop period and not for just a few weeks. He says 6 months!!! But as we know the Scientist can be over ruled. 4 million Brits alone visit the US each year. The airlines will not survive if they don?t open the borders. London to LA is the busiest route and they had 8 flights a day ..all full. Las Vegas at least 6 flights a day.

Do not book any flights until we know what is happening.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
A little news update. Announced today by the US Government. The travel ban to all US visitors likely to stay in place for at least 6 months?.  This applies to Canadians, Brits, Europeans, Aussies and Kiwis.

So it looks like Speedweek will be lacking in any international competitors which, is very sad. They can open the border for a Golfer or Tennis player but Motor Racing as usual takes a back seat.

However it can all change as we know but it looks like I will have to cancel my Hotel, my crew flights, my RV, 8 barrels of Nitro and have my race car sitting for another f*****g year.

Can you post a link to that announcement as I can't find it?  Some countries, yes, Canada, not mentioned on any article I can find.  The only article I can find is in reference to a proclamation by the President on January 20th that was effective March 13th.  A small note at the bottom of the page mentioned that it was "reviewed on June 15th."  I don't think this is a new announcement nor do I think it reflects the current state of affairs.

Your further comment: " But, Dr Fuici I think that is how it?s spelt says very clearly.....the borders are shut to ALL Foreigners. Full stop period and not for just a few weeks. He says 6 months!!!" 

I don't think that Dr. Fauci makes rules as he is only an advisor.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:55:20 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 08:00:33 PM »
Here is a link that states Europeans and others cannot travel to the US. Last updated today.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:26:11 PM »
Hey just fly into Mexico and come through that border... no problem, that one is still open to all  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Robert.....   
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline 7707

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 11:51:59 PM »
Goggle .... US travel ban or Canada border closed ...  I was supposed to be in the US early July...flights cancelled. The only flights from Europe to US are repatriation flights for US Citizens etc. No business trips or tourists allowed till further notice. It is all very frustrating.

Offline 7707

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 02:04:46 AM »
Hey just fly into Mexico and come through that border... no problem, that one is still open to all  :dhorse:

Wish I could. ..... no flights to Mexico from here at the moment.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 04:08:52 AM »
...I done that once......20 years ago....

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 05:14:59 AM »
Here is a link that states Europeans and others cannot travel to the US. Last updated today.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

Don

Don,

That is the exact same article that I was referring to and if you delve into the details it is that same proclamation that President Trump made in January and became effective in March.  At the bottom it says "reviewed June 15."  I see no other date attached so it may still be in effect.  But no mention of when it will be lifted nor any mention or that it will be extended for 6 months.

As for travel between the U.S. and Canada, all non-essential cross border travel is banned until June 21st but will likely be extended until late July.  However, some people are allowed to enter the U.S. by air, subject to the 14 day quarantine, I believe. From the N.Y. Times on June 12th "The border closing has been extended several times since it took effect March 21 and is now set to expire, or get extended, on June 21.."

Goggle .... US travel ban or Canada border closed ...  I was supposed to be in the US early July...flights cancelled. The only flights from Europe to US are repatriation flights for US Citizens etc. No business trips or tourists allowed till further notice. It is all very frustrating.

I have googled as you suggested and can find no U.S. announcement that the border closure will be extended for another 6 months as you have claimed.  Please post the link to the article that you have mentioned so we can see it.

We are keeping our fingers crossed because our daughter has reservations to visit us here in Nova Scotia in August and we generally travel to Colorado, and I onto "World of Speed" in September.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:28:33 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!