Author Topic: Liner Final Drive  (Read 12676 times)

Offline Flat54

• New folks
Re: Liner Final Drive
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:27 AM »
Michael: Thank you for sharing Many questions
What are the gears and where were they sourced?
What is the ratio?
How many teeth on each? They are really big teeth.
What are the outside diameters of the gears?
How are the gears fixed to the shafts?
How much horsepower/torque has been put through these?
What car is this in?
From what I can see the thick plate in the back ground bolts in and the pinion and changes gears are mounted on that is that correct?
Thanks again really appreciated.
Grant

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
Any progress on this??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Flat54

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 03:53:47 AM »
Progress to date. The gears and coupler arrived from SCS the gears look pretty stout. I have been working on a pattern and core box for the right angle drive section, the final drive and change gears will be housed in billet plate sections sandwiched to the right angle drive section. Couple of photos attached one separately due to size limitations.

Offline Flat54

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 03:58:21 AM »
Pattern and core box.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Looks like you are moving along nicely. And since I am nosey..What are those parts on the bottom of the grey cart in pic 1?  Core box  parts from a flat head intake ?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Flat54

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
The parts in the cart are the intake faces cut off a couple of flathead blocks I am working on. One I was using brazing to modify which didn't work out, too much distortion, the current build has the block filled with aluminum.
Grant

Offline floydjer

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »
Allows enjoy watching the work of a guy who prefers  building over buying. Carry on, Jerry

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 02:39:05 AM »
It's kind of a Kiwi trait. We grew up in the middle of nowhere so if we wanted something we'd probably have to build it.
  Sid.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »
We (kiwis) have quite a bit of Scottish heritage, especially the Mainlanders (South Island).

Scots have deep pockets and short arms so its hard to pay for stuff. Lots of immigration after WWII as well so the make do and mend generation traveled to NZ on a 10 bob (pound) ticket - my father was one of those but insists that the term POM applies to the Aussies, not the Brits as it stands for Prisoners of His Majesty and should be POHM.

Sorry, NZ history hijack.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 06:40:01 AM »
Even worse..An American doing a Kiwi/Aus. Hi-jack. On FerrariChat.com there was a New Z'er who referred  to Aussies  as "Shackle Draggers". OK Grant, back to you. :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
My history goes back a little further, I'm Ngati Haua Maori from the Wanganui River & my salt flats Waka is a 40ft AA/BFS. :-D
  Sid.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »
My history goes back a little further, I'm Ngati Haua Maori from the Wanganui River & my salt flats Waka is a 40ft AA/BFS. :-D
  Sid.

Nice family history Sid :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline floydjer

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »
Oh yeah? Well James Berry the hangman is a few generations back on dad's side. :cheers:

Offline John Burk

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
Flat
Have you considered sprockets and tooth belts to and from an offset shaft parallel to the driveshaft with a conventional rear . Simple and low drag .

Offline Flat54

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
Jerry, Sid et al : Thanks for the comments I think one of the many things I like about LSR is that it is a motor sport that is still deeply rooted in a garagista culture so there are all sorts of amazing things going on in garages around the world, it sits well with the Kiwi psyche, but the can do, make do philosophy is clearly wide spread within this community. The build diaries are really interesting and enjoyable to follow.

John: Looked at a few belt drive options but not the idea of a counter shaft, I struggled to find a belt option that would allow an easy ratio change but accept that the counter shaft option would allow that, its a bit moot now as I have hitched my wagon/dollars to the gear drive  :-(.

Progress the miter gears arrived (Photo) I feel a bit vulnerable about these given I have no hard evidence that they will be strong enough the other gears are all proven items. The miter gears are Module 5 and the change gears are DP 6 ( Mod 4.233) so technically they are bigger than the change gears. Anybody who knows about this stuff please chip in.
Grant