Author Topic: April meet still on? --Postponed--  (Read 7028 times)

Offline thommysgarage

April meet still on? --Postponed--
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »
  The list of cancelled events is growing fast, so what about the April meet at Blytheville? I have been working hard to get my car ready and now wondering if this will be for naught. I just saw where the DLRA has cancelled/ postponed their speedweek due to fears about COVID19. Indy Car, Nascar, NHRA, and F1 are all on hold. Will ECTA be encouraged to do the same even though the number of people involved will be much smaller? I am seeing the potential for this to be the politically correct thing to do, regardless of the actual risk. I live near Nashville where the city has ordered all bars to close and restricted restaurants to reduced hours and fewer patrons. What should we expect next?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:29:41 PM by Stainless1 »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: April meet still on?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
The FB group would be the best place to speculate.  I do not think that Steve and CJ get on the forum very often.  Also, with all of this stuff going on, I am sure they are to busy to check social media right now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243660202347845/

https://www.facebook.com/ECTAMile
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »
  The list of cancelled events is growing fast, so what about the April meet at Blytheville? I have been working hard to get my car ready and now wondering if this will be for naught. I just saw where the DLRA has cancelled/ postponed their speedweek due to fears about COVID19. Indy Car, Nascar, NHRA, and F1 are all on hold. Will ECTA be encouraged to do the same even though the number of people involved will be much smaller? I am seeing the potential for this to be the politically correct thing to do, regardless of the actual risk. I live near Nashville where the city has ordered all bars to close and restricted restaurants to reduced hours and fewer patrons. What should we expect next?

Its not a politically correct thing its a HEALTH thing.  Any group events larger than 50 from what i read should not be held. The sooner we all adjust to this small inconvenience the sooner it will pass and hopefully none of us will become ill from the virus.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
  I don't mean to diminish the public health issue, we should all be paying attention to the advise of the medical experts. I would not want to see this get any worse, although it might. I don't have the same level of confidence in our politicians when they try to tell us what is good for us. As for the size of the crowd at Blytheville, it has been quite small so far. I am now having second thoughts about going due to the possibility of closed restaurants and stores. I have heard the talk of travel restrictions as well. Maybe the folks in Blytheville would rather not have a bunch of strangers come to town until this thing is under control. I am beginning to think this will be a long boring spring and summer, no racing, no car shows.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 08:06:04 AM »
Per Facebook page yesterday, still a go.....
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »
Arkansas has closed restaurants and bars to dine in service. Groups greater than 10 recommended against.... Watching. I want to go.....
But need some dyno time before and that will require significant travel out of state for me. Already a problem.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:59:24 PM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
And this last night sometime in AR newspaper. Emphasis mine:

Arkansas is banning indoor and enclosed outdoor social gatherings of more than 10 people, with few exceptions, in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus that has infected at least 335 Arkansans and is blamed for three deaths, the state's top health official said Thursday.

?This directive does not apply to businesses, manufacturers, construction companies, places of worship, the Arkansas General Assembly, municipal or county governing bodies, or the judiciary,? Secretary of Health Dr. Nate Smith said in a news release. Outdoor gatherings in unenclosed areas such as parks are also exempt, although social distancing of at least 6 feet must be observed.
Banned gatherings include ?sporting events, concerts, conferences, conventions, fundraisers, parades, fairs, and festivals,? the release said.
Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Wednesday that the order was needed to avoid imposing a more sweeping shelter-in-place order as in other states.
The ban is in effect until further notice.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
  I will have the car ready to go soon. The outlook for racing looks questionable at best, but I will hold out hope for the situation to improve over the coming weeks. Most of the news points to a prolonged period of social distancing, over several months, not weeks. At least there is enough junk to work on around here to keep me occupied for a while.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
As of right now (5:30 pm  3/30/20), Kentucky has an executive order against out of state travel.  Requires 14 day mandatory self isolation once you return into the state, enforceable by county officials.   

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Yah, I've got similar, especially if you go to New York and other hot spots. Today new - with teeth of fine/prison- stay at home rules except for "necessary" trips-grocery, pharmacy, dr visits etc. What else that might be allowed not so clear. Though Mississippi county where Blytheville is located has no cases last I looked, most folks have to drive through varying degrees of lock down and lack of services to get there. And as I mentioned above, sporting events are not supposed to happen. Hard to figure this can take place. I've given up the possibility for me.   :x
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline RansomT

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »
Our lock-in is different.  The numbers here are way better than the surrounding states, due in part to a sensible governor that took some action early and didn't wait for the feds.  The Governor doesn't want us to leave and bring it back more.

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
  I am pretty sure that the entire country is under a stay at home advisory through April at least. That should take care of any slim chance for racing this spring. Even the governor of TN finally saw fit to issue a state wide stay home order, a little behind on the timing maybe, but probably what has to be done. Hope all of our fellow racers make it through this OK.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
And there is now a case in Mississippi County, AR where Blytheville is located. Matter of time for more.  :dhorse:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Ecta

• New folks
APRIL EVENT POSTPONED
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 06:04:34 PM »
We are sad to inform you all, we must postpone our April event.

This decisions was not an easy one for us. We've been staying up to date on COVID-19 announcement, both nationally, in Arkansas and specific to Blytheville. Currently Arkansas is one of the few states without a "Shelter in Place" or similar order but restaurants are take-out or delivery only and as of today, the Governor of Arkansas has placed restrictions on hotels and lodging.

We recognized the nature of our event did allow for greater physical distance than many other events but still wanted to take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our racers and staff. We were evaluating all of our procedures to determine if there was a safe way for us to still race when the Blytheville Airport we rent from informed us the airport will likely not be available. What is usually just a few planes that we can easily work around is turning into a full field of planes that are currently not in use given the significantly reduced air traffic.

Due to this news regarding hotels and availability of the airport, we have no choice but to delay this event. We are currently working to secure a date in June and will keep you informed of such.

We miss our racers very much and hope you all are staying safe and healthy.

Offline saltracer1

Re: April meet still on? --Postponed--
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »