Author Topic: Arm restraint clarification  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Arm restraint clarification
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:06:26 PM »
In reading the rule book, what is meant by "No two piece or welded "D" ring style adjusters for Arm restraints?

Does Crow, DJ Safety, etc, do they have these forsale in Summit racing, or how do I avoid purchasing these arm restraints?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Arm restraint clarification
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 04:38:40 AM »
Clay

Search the forum under wrist restraints - there was a discussion about the definition of this rule and you should find it that way. I purchased restraints from DJ and sent pics to tech and they approved them.

iirc the D ring adjusters (like the old chin strap adjusters on a m/cycle helmet) where there are 2 D rings side by side, with the D's made with a loop of 'wire' welded to close the loop, is out.

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 04:55:18 PM »
Contact Rick or Brad White at Autopower Industries 619)297-3300.
They manufacture them and race at El Mirage and Bonneville.
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 12:24:59 AM »
Not to sound dumb, but are there any arms restraints out there that AREN'T fastened with Velcro? No offense to whoever designed the stuff, but I really don't feel like trusting  any body parts with some fuzzy plastic...

Offline 7707

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 01:28:10 AM »
I use DJ Safety arm restraints simple as that. Check with Kiwi Steve but they have to be approved.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 02:06:35 AM »
Yes, this was discussed at length on this board previously.   Arm restraints with two welded D-rings CAN be used, but the D-rings can only be used as attachment points - with the strap passing through both of them together, rather than through one then the other.  They can NOT be used to set/adjust the length of the straps that restrain your arms as it was discovered that (in a high-G impact) the straps can slip through them and allow your arms to come free.
Rather, the adjustment of the straps' length MUST be accomplished by threading them through a flat, figure-8 shaped bar - like a smaller version of the flat bars that are used to securely adjust the length of shoulder harnesses.    Anyway, the key is adding the flat, figure-8 bar.  Kiwi Steve did have a bunch of them.
Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 08:38:21 AM »
Thank you! I shall check them out...