Author Topic: COVID-19 shutdowns  (Read 18339 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: COVID-19 shutdowns
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
We are going to see a new normal after the first burst of COVID-19 runs its first round. Physical distancing is going to be something that stays with us in various forms for the foreseeable future. While there is talk of reaching the apex and coming down, the reality is the apex will be unclear. Seattle will have its apex, NYC will have its own, as will New Orleans, Detroit, LA and then every city and region of the country, so it will be a rolling virus. No region of the country will escape. Physical distancing now is essential everywhere as is building our healthcare capacity.

There's likely to be returns of the virus in places that have gone through it already. We are going to have to learn to live with some form of physical distancing until this virus is not just flattened but defeated and that could take many months or even years. When you look at it from that perspective, a large part of the personnel engaged in in an activity at Bonneville are the ones most susceptible (me included) to a detrimental outcome from the virus. 

Tom

Ladies and gentlemen, we're walking a fine line here and I want to point it back towards racing and away from - away from ... away from stuff that ain't racing.  I understand that we're all farkled by the new virus, and I understand that these are unprecedented times in lots of other aspects of our lives.  Dang few of us know anything about what is going to happen.

To be honest:  There's not a danged thing I (and most of you) can do that will make racing more likely this year.

I'm going to prepare in every way and hope that the season gets going soonest.  And I'm going to go back to my "mantra" that has kept my stress level pretty low for most of my life:

I don't argue politics, I don't argue religion, and I NEVER tell a woman her baby is ugly.

Well, it should be no problem for me, I'm an engineer, I've been socially (and physically) "distancing" for decades . . . . .  :roll:

My only concern at this moment in time precludes things such as racing.    I have 2 children working on the front lines of this pandemic, 1 in Seattle, and 1 in Chicago.
Thankfully Seattle seems to have "peaked" with respect to new infections, but Chicago continues to climb up the roller coaster ramp of infection . . . . .  :cry:

I need to ask a big favor friends.   Both of my children report to me daily about the serious shortages of PPE available for the protection of health care workers.
Please, please, please, call your Representatives and Senators, both State and Federal, and insist that something be done to resolve this.    HOW, exactly can this be happening in the USA?

We can not knowingly "sacrifice" our health care workers, who are working the "front lines" of this "war".

"Dad, I always had enough ammo and supplies in Afghanistan.   Here in Seattle, there are not enough gowns, gloves and masks to go around.  We are all at risk."
      Matt Balinski, former 68Whiskey and Certified Medical Technician at the University of Washington Clinic, Seattle

I understand how adverse some are speak out about politics or religion.    But, somewhere along the line I believe we all need to speak up for what is right and just.

As for myself, I simply would find it impossible to "look in the mirror" if I did not speak up.

:cheers:
WorriedDad
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Rex, it's significant in that it's a really great vacation when one gets to go to Speed Week, hang out in Winnemucca, take Jungo Road to Black Rock, do the Burn, then head for home.
I've only had that combination happen once, and it was really cool. Additionally, combining them versus burning fuel to go back and forth twice, really helped.
Yeah, the Burn isn't the same as it used to be, but neither is Speed Week. Still feeling very fortunate to participate in both. Better than watching football.

-jf
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »
FB628, I hear you loud and clear! I too have two sons working front line on this COVID-19 pandemic. Both are here in Kansas (one in Hutchinson and the other in Wichita). Both say they are woefully short on protective gear. St. Francis Hospital in Wichita is having nursing staff reuse masks made to be used once only. This makes it doubly worse as my youngest son and his young family still live with my wife and I who are in our early 70?s.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
John,

Please be careful.    I understand the living arrangements.   Our youngest daughter, her boyfriend and their 5 dogs are temporarily here with us.

Many young folks we know have been "furloughed" (fired without benefits).     We are trying to take care of our own.

Stay safe, be well.

Well, I just act 3, I'm actually a disappointed "sexagenarian".   :dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:24 PM »
This page is for Oregon and the other states are on its website.  There is a graph near the bottom of the page that shows trends in China virus statistics on a daily basis.  The state started to lift restrictions last Friday.  It will be interesting to see how the graph changes during the next few weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Oregon

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 09:57:42 AM »
Know what I like?? Chocolate/caramel turtles. I would eat a pound of those per day if the bride would allow such behavior. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
Reply 79 should say the website has pages and daily graphs for the various states.  It is good to have some real information rather than the opposite that we normally hear and read.

Offline gowing

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
It was interesting to read in that link that in Oregon you are now temporarily allowed to pump your own gas during the pandemic.
 :roll:

Offline floydjer

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
Pump gas? You have no idea of the freedom I enjoy....We Michiganders can not only buy garden hoses...We can now purchase carpeting! And our dope smokers never went wanting for a toke. :cheers:....RACING.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:29:37 PM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
This just in.. Elective surgery will be allowed after May 29.  One can only hope the roads will be safe with all of the opiate addicted grannies driving themselves in for a much-needed hip replacement. And family pets can now be treated as well. :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Give it a rest, please.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline floydjer

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2020, 09:50:02 AM »
You are just jealous because I can buy grass seeds now...Lawn work no longer causes off shore viruses to spread. :clap :clap :clap

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
I have a close friend that is in the legal MJ business in Oregon and it was considered a required business so his stores were not closed for the pandemic. The "real" reason that the MJ business was kept open is that the state charges 23% sales tax on MJ products and with the pandemic shut down his business is going crazy. Oregon did not want to loose all that money!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ski123

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
I have a close friend that is in the legal MJ business in Oregon and it was considered a required business so his stores were not closed for the pandemic. The "real" reason that the MJ business was kept open is that the state charges 23% sales tax on MJ products and with the pandemic shut down his business is going crazy. Oregon did not want to loose all that money!

Rex
    ^^^ Winner!  MJ industry is making big $.  Look for sponsorship opportunities? Smokin'......

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
That sounds almost like John DeLorean's plan :naughty aktion086
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20