Author Topic: COVID-19 shutdowns  (Read 18340 times)

Offline Beef Stew

Re: COVID-19 shutdowns
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2020, 12:58:47 AM »
Since the whole world is closed and we are stuck inside..www.oldmachinepress.com

That's a fun place to lose yourself, for and hour or two.

The articles about the Tips Aero Motor Rotary Aircraft Engines reminded me of this.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/MHV_Megola_01.jpg

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
Sure it's all a hoax I tell ya!  :dhorse: Tell that to the 42,163 infected and the 512 dead in the US so far!

Here in Canada everything is shut down, all the restaurants, bars and shops. They figure 30% of small businesses will not re-open ever. The economy will take years to recover from this. They have tested 30,000 people in Quebec province so far which is more tests completed than the entire countries of the USA and France combined!  Our local BC government has stopped all elective surgeries and they have a 1000 cleared, ready and available empty beds if this escalates. Right now we have 42 infected in hospital in BC. Thanks god we have an effective health care system and local government!

Realistically, local racers here are not  holding much hope for any Bonneville events this summer. I don't think it's going to happen.

It's interesting to read this thread in one pass in light of what has happened. Hopefully some respect for expert opinion will return after this is finally over, I have a family member who is a medico and involved on upper level government stuff here in Australia, she warned me over a month ago how devastating this was going to be and also said she was "terrified" of what was going to happen in the US due to to the reluctance of Americans to attend hospital.
Stay safe people.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
Hey Woody..www.undiscoveredclassiscs.com  Another rabbit hole for you.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2020, 09:43:31 AM »
We are going to see a new normal after the first burst of COVID-19 runs its first round. Physical distancing is going to be something that stays with us in various forms for the foreseeable future. While there is talk of reaching the apex and coming down, the reality is the apex will be unclear. Seattle will have its apex, NYC will have its own, as will New Orleans, Detroit, LA and then every city and region of the country, so it will be a rolling virus. No region of the country will escape. Physical distancing now is essential everywhere as is building our healthcare capacity.

There's likely to be returns of the virus in places that have gone through it already. We are going to have to learn to live with some form of physical distancing until this virus is not just flattened but defeated and that could take many months or even years. When you look at it from that perspective, a large part of the personnel engaged in in an activity at Bonneville are the ones most susceptible (me included) to a detrimental outcome from the virus. 

Tom

Offline ski123

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
No vaccines, No tests = No races
Our government has been doing NOTHING for two months
so with all that free time they should have something
ready to go by now, right?   It is a shame with all the
resources we have we are still so far behind.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we're walking a fine line here and I want to point it back towards racing and away from - away from ... away from stuff that ain't racing.  I understand that we're all farkled by the new virus, and I understand that these are unprecedented times in lots of other aspects of our lives.  Dang few of us know anything about what is going to happen.

To be honest:  There's not a danged thing I (and most of you) can do that will make racing more likely this year.

I'm going to prepare in every way and hope that the season gets going soonest.  And I'm going to go back to my "mantra" that has kept my stress level pretty low for most of my life:

I don't argue politics, I don't argue religion, and I NEVER tell a woman her baby is ugly.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
 :cheers: :clap :cheers: :clap :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
Bravo, Jon. It's not much different than if the salt got rained on and we end up with another year in the shop to make fast even faster. Might just have time to set up that scanner and do some CFD analysis.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
I'll just sit here and smirk then. :clap
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
Maybe they'll slip the restoration money in the next round of pork...

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »
. . . and not let us drive on it anymore as we caused the problem in the first place.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2020, 12:38:58 AM »
Just heard a rumor from a reliable source that Burning Man will not be held this year.  Now how that has anything to do with Speed Week is left to our imagination but is could be an indicator of future events held on BLM land. The BLM gets a $hit load of money from that operation. Announcement one way or the other should be Friday. It would be nice to hear from the SCTA regarding Speed Week as the time for entry is coming soon. USFRA too!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline aircap

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2020, 12:51:33 AM »
Probably not a priority during a national emergency.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
Well Kids I am sending my entry... hope I'm ready
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
Not sure if my info is correct,went online to check out rooms in Wendover and unable to book anything at this time,also any rooms that have been booked previously will be cancelled with a full refund?
327,B/GR