Author Topic: A little inside skinny - new FIM helmet requirement  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
A little inside skinny - new FIM helmet requirement
« on: March 01, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
I spent yesterday doing some BMST volunteering. Del and Lucas bought a trailer that is being converted to become the new event trailer where you will pick up your timing slip, buy merch, and register on site once the event gets underway. With the always thoughtful and supportive guidance of Larry Reber the five of us completed the last bit of demo of the interior and began installing a counter and cabinets to Del's plan. Del seemed pretty happy when the day's work came to an end as a minor hail storm rolled in. 

I admit to an ulterior motive with these volunteer sessions, in that I get an opportunity to pick Del's brain a bit about upcoming changes for the new season. The good news for us AMA racers is that the AMA helmet requirement seems to be unchanged for 2020.

However, for FIM racers the FIM now requires an FIM spec helmet to run for FIM records. The details about this spec are on the FIM site, and that is the place to find a list of approved helmets -

https://www.frhp.org/circuit%20helmets/homologated-helmets

Del pointed out that not only does the helmet have to be one that is on the FIM list, note that in some cases only certain sizes of a particular helmet have been approved. Also note that an FIM approved model on the list may not have DOT approval and thus may not be available in the States. The bottom line is that, in order to pass inspection for running FIM, a helmet will have to have the proper FIM approval sticker in it. Just thought I would throw this out there so you FIM racers can get a jump on finding a helmet with the proper FIM sticker. It would suck to get to scrutineering with a plan to try for a world record and find out your helmet isn't approved to run FIM.

Offline edinlr

Re: A little inside skinny - new FIM helmet requirement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
Wow, Arai, Bell, & Shoei don't have a single XL between them that is approved for FIM, so much for using my "good" helmet. 

Thanks for the early warning.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
As usual I don't claim to be in any way a person of authority here so please do your own homework, too. It seemed like folks might need some lead time to sort this out. BMST doesn't make the standard, but they will check for the sticker at tech. So the best bet is probably to study the FIM page and then contact your helmet supplier to make sure the proper sticker is in the helmet before buying it. I'm guessing the label might say FRHPhe-01, as that is the name FIM gave to their standard. But that is pure speculation. Makes me think of an old Boeing engineer's joke -

Engineers love having a standard. That's why there are so many of them.

Offline maj

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
We have just gone through the FIM helmet thing here for the Aussie FIM meet in 3 weeks
Not many suppliers have these in stock or know much about them, get your orders in early and be sure the helmet you order has the correct tag

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
you beat me by that .. much Greg, in answering  :laugh:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
Thanks, knowing what label to look for makes it easier.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:09:29 PM »
If you are ordering over the phone and the salesperson tells you it has a current FIM label, "Stipulate" that it has to be the label that Maj has shown in the above post (send a photo to them, too be sure your both on the same page)  :-)

It is not just about the Helmet brand and size shown on the FIM site,, the helmet "Must" show this label to be passed by the FIM scruteeners
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:13:37 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 07:17:21 PM »
"Technically", non DOT approved can not be sold nor be shipped to the USA as a "motorcycle helmet".

From my limited knowledge, fit of a helmet means as much as the safety standard.  The shape of your nogg'n means a whole lot in how much protection you get from said helmet.

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
Yep the fit and not getting a chance to try on the helmet before ordering was one of my concerns with the rushed ordering we had here
but in the end the helmet i brought fits great and is so much lighter and better in the wind than my previous
They also have EU certification, which is road usable here, my old US brought Snell needed a sticker added ;) 

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
I received an email regarding this from the BMST mailing list a few minutes ago (get on that list to keep current on event news). The info has also been posted to the BMST site -

https://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/rulesclasses/fim-world-record-regs/fim-helmet/