Author Topic: Lakester wheelbase?  (Read 20024 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Lakester wheelbase?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »
Pup, Is your midget just in/out box transmission that needs push started?  I like your idea of sorta stretching what you have to get enough wheelbase to fall in the rule spec... I suspect you already have 4 wheel brakes?  The tube difference between what you have and what you need is probably less than 150 lbs. 

And the tall thing... the pic I posted the square outside measures 16 tall by 24 wide... the roll bar is about 10 inches taller... the car is 20 ft long.... I am 6' 3'' and about 215 most days.... so just think about sitting lower in the part you stretch to get some wheelbase....
you can see the build diary for it's replacement here
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=16896.0
Have fun, be safe, go fast...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »
Maybe stretching was the wrong term. It will be a fresh new chassis with engine and trans in the rear and driver ahead of engine. I want the lower profile front for low frontal area. So it will look much the same as other lakesters I have seen pictures of. I was planning to use some 4 or 5 speed trans but not sure what bellhousings are available for this engine. It does have the stock external dimensions but it is an aluminum Bowtie block.
Dang that is one long thread!!! I'll take a look!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:33:13 PM by puppy »
Bobby

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 10:17:34 PM »
If you think that is a long one, check out the  Australian Belly Tank build cromag

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 11:27:01 PM »
If you are NOT planning to run at Bonneville, you don't need a Bonneville car. For running a paved standing mile you should look into what the Drag Racers are doing.

Here's a suspended rear axle in a Bracket Dragster.

A MacPherson strut front suspension, with disc brakes, as used by Pro Stock cars

I'd build a cross between the back-half a Rear Engine Dragster and the front-half of an older Indycar.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
lots of inline engs will need wide wher your shoulders are think of a modified stop sign shape  Remember after about 60 mph aero gets to be a larger and LARGER factor
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
Jack Brabham in the Lotus in '61, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 12:03:50 PM »
Maybe stretching was the wrong term. It will be a fresh new chassis with engine and trans in the rear and driver ahead of engine. I want the lower profile front for low frontal area. So it will look much the same as other lakesters I have seen pictures of. I was planning to use some 4 or 5 speed trans but not sure what bellhousings are available for this engine. It does have the stock external dimensions but it is an aluminum Bowtie block.
Dang that is one long thread!!! I'll take a look!

Well Pup, When you start building, I suspect your thread will be just a long, maybe longer... Just look at the builds that are there... don't have to read them all, but you should see an abundance of help and suggestions offered... and lots of ideas to try to meld together to get to where you want to be...
Your current situation may not take you to Bonneville right now.....
but who knows the future  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »
Jim Clark....Indy 500....1965....Lotus 38

Jack Brabham in the Lotus in '61, right?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the input and suggestions!
Bobby

Offline tortoise

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »
With a clean body design the biggest aero drag is the wheels; you want the smallest that are safe for the projected speed.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 11:58:42 PM »
With a clean body design the biggest aero drag is the wheels; you want the smallest that are safe for the projected speed.
Today they enter turn one at Indianapolis at over 200 mph. Before they changed the rules to slow them down, they entered turn one much faster.

Arie Luyendyk's tire are just the right size for going fast on pavement. Every lap was a ?NNNNeeeewwww LLLLaaaaapppp RRRReeecccooorrd!!!? The result was an average speed over the four laps of 236.986mph, three mph faster than the pole speed set the previous day. His final tour was 237.498mph, which also still stands as the Single Fastest Qualifying Lap. http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/05/indy-500-arie-luyendyk/

If Puppy has ran sportscars and roundy-round midgets/sprints his driving driving experience is different than most Landspeed racers.

I'm used to climbing on the binders at 140 mph on pavement. I'm sure that Puppy has done that too.

At this point in my life, I have no interest in running Bonneville, been there done that (two records). If I built a car today, it would be for FIA Standing Kilometer record attempts. The problem is that 1.82 ? and a FIA World Record won't buy you a cup of coffee. Neither will $2.00 and a SCTA Record.

I'm interested in seeing what the O.P. ends up building.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »
At this point in my life, I have no interest in running Bonneville, been there done that (two records). If I built a car today, it would be for FIA Standing Kilometer record attempts. The problem is that 1.82 ? and a FIA World Record won't buy you a cup of coffee.
The one and a half mile pavement courses are good for standing kilo attempts, and flying kilos as well, if only they'd set up lights for it. The other bad thing about standing kilo records is they don't sound fast when you try to brag about them, as they are average speeds for the kilo rather than a peak number.

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »
I was at Indy when Arie set that record. I was on the Loophole Racing team. Fun days!
Here is a sketch of what i'm thinking of...
Bobby

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 05:45:14 PM »
Also guys, has anyone done a front wheel drive car before? Aside from finding affordable (is that a word in racing?) parts to build it out of. I have thought about turning the engine and trans around and having it drive the front wheels. Would make for more room in the back for my large frame.  I know it could affect the CG/CoP thing....
Bobby

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Front wheel drive can be made to work  :lol:  Check out: http://www.blacksaltracing.com/home.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!