Author Topic: Lakester wheelbase?  (Read 20089 times)

Offline puppy

• New folks
Lakester wheelbase?
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
Is there any way to calculate the wheelbase for a given target speed for a standing mile Lakester? Or wheelbase length per power output?Or do you just make it as long as possible?  Im looking at F engine size(180c.i.) and don't really want to be heavier than absolutely necessary...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:00:07 PM by puppy »
Bobby

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Lakester wheelbase?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »
Lay out, on the floor or paper, everything that needs to go in it and see how short you can make it. The SCTA has a minimum wheelbase for F lakester of 95 inches

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
Lay out, on the floor or paper, everything that needs to go in it and see how short you can make it. The SCTA has a minimum wheelbase for F lakester of 95 inches

John

Also. Calculate the maximum height of your power plant. Once you've done that subtract the amount you need above your helmet which is the roll cage tube, any cap and the thickness of the body work. Use this measurement to design your seating position, in the position you sit your helmet needs to be lower than this, if it isn't you are wasting aero....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 7707

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:13:30 AM »
You really need to read the rule book. That will give the min and max allowances. A lot of it revolves around how you package the car plus you need to get in and out etc etc. There is no magic ?Formulae? because if there was everything would be the same. Look at what else is out there, lay out your tubing and do a mock set up. Oh and remember that weight is not your enemy.
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:47:18 PM »
Oh and remember that weight is not your enemy.

It might be, he said he wants to run a mile event.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
Ours is about 144 inches.. give or take.... but your experience may vary.... as said everyone is different. 
Build what you think will work... within the rules  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 01:40:07 AM »
Is there any way to calculate the wheelbase for a given target speed for a standing mile Lakester? Or wheelbase length per power output?Or do you just make it as long as possible?  Im looking at F engine size(180c.i.) and don't really want to be heavier than absolutely necessary...
As the previous respondents have answered, there is no answer. Everyone here is willing to help, just not willing to design your car (or bike) for you. IME one has to show up with either a bad idea that is so bad everyone will pile on, or a bad enough idea that nobody will pile on... and then the Original Poster has to convey a willingness to accept criticism in public. You might be approached in private message by those in the know if you have the right attitude. I ain't your guy, because I don't have your answer, but I've benefited from the community.  :friday :cheers:
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »
I learned a LOT by laying out a chassis our of 2X2 wood (2X4 split) screwed together bef-ore bending one piece of tubing. We went longer is better but found out later that too long is hard to find a trailer. We run F/BFL at Loring with 220" wb.

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:34:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. I am waiting for my rule book in the mail as I type this! I actually have begun to build a wood mockup out of 2x2 as Bearing Burner suggested.
I come from a sprint car, midget and road racing background, so I'm used to thinking about weight. Also I know that with a smaller engine, I wont have gobs of torque to get moving, that's why I'm concerned about weight in this project.
Would you guys mind sharing photos of your cars and what engine combo and times you've run and where? Not trying to steal ideas, but I do love the flexibility of the rules...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:42:12 PM by puppy »
Bobby

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:43:41 AM »
I'm responding only to point out that your first decision is about your priorities. For example, the lakester I bought (see my avatar) was built to resemble those from 60 years ago, which "gives away" a lot in aerodynamics (and maybe handling) to modern shapes. Since I share the builder's priorities, my engine is basically 1962 vintage. If my main priority were to exceed a record, I would do things much differently. Just sayin'....
P.S.- Another of my priorities was to participate in landspeed racing during this lifetime- which is why I bought a proven lakester, rather than build from scratch.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:51:23 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 01:31:35 AM »
Pup... you don't find a lot of Lakesters running the mile... mostly because the mile events want 4 wheel brakes... the majority of Special Construction LSR cars are built for the long track... Bonneville... and rely on a parachute to slow down.  Yes there are a couple of guys that run the mile, lots of door cars and bikes too. 
With that said, here's a pic of our lakester... we only run Bonneville... have run engines 3/4 liter to 2 liter, the fastest it has been is 246 with 1.5 blown.  It has a 10 inch disc brake with an opposed dual piston caliper... never been used over 30 MPH... would not be allowed to run the mile anywhere
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
If you want to be successful try to steal every idea you can--- there are very very few things new under this sun  I used an idea on a very successful car and learned several years later why he most likely had done it that way----he was following the example of an even earlier car that I had never seen the pictures of
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
I am building a lakester (as a rookie) and the people here have qc'd me every step (by way of discussion and photos on my build diary) and that advice has been invaluable.

If I read your initial inquiry right you are intending to run a 3 litre (I'm in the UK so had to convert to new money) so the rules will dictate you use some pretty heavy duty roll structure tubing as you have to build to the existing class record for Bonneville / SCTA and that is well over 200.

I designed my roll structure in pvc waste pipe and duct tape around me and then worked backwards for the engine etc (rear engine, in line gearbox; mine is a 2 litre 4 cylinder); I am near 150 inch wheel base and will be thrilled if I come in under 2000 lb all up.

If all goes to plan (if the stars align, the entrails are favorable, the runes fall just right) I might qualify to get on the long course so that is 5 miles to get up to speed on the salt.  :cheers:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline puppy

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Guys, I don't foresee ever being able to afford to head out to Bonneville (to compete anyways), with the time off work, towing out ect? As I'm in Michigan. I have not been to any landspeed event, so am unfamiliar with most aspects of this kind of racing..I'd say that my "priority" is to have a lakester type of midget, basically a stretched out midget with my old midget engine( 166 C.I. 60 degree Chevy V-6 with Potter heads from the late 80's -mid 90's era), with midget axles. I haven't figured out a transmission yet. I hope to be far under that 2000 lb. mentioned, although I guess we'll see... I don't have a problem with 4 wheel brakes, I'll just have to design that into the build. One thing I have going against me is a thing that has followed me throughout my other endeavors is that I'm tall and wide at the shoulders (better built for football than for race driving but hey what can I do haha).
Anyways its nice to have conversation with peeps on this subject as my other racing friends kind of give the deer in the headlights look whenever not talking of "their" kind of racing?.
Bobby

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
Puppy, it's quite likely if you go into your profile and make your location fairly specific you may find there's someone living close to you that either competes at Bonneville or is at least rather familiar with the racing there. In many cases it helps to have someone you can talk to or who can look at something and offer another view. We're generally a fairly sociable bunch.

Pete