Author Topic: Chuck Whiteman  (Read 1369 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

Chuck Whiteman
« on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that we have to share with you that Chuck Whiteman, Chief Safety Inspector for the USFRA passed away on Monday evening.  He was admitted to the hospital last week and suffered a severe stroke. The injury to his brain was extensive and there was nothing more the doctors could do.
Anybody who has raced at the World of Speed and gone through safety inspection would have met or been helped by Chuck's hard work and dedication. Chuck also served as the USFRA liaison to the SCTA Rules Committee.  Each year he would put in hours and hours of work long before the races were scheduled. He serviced and kept our old drag trucks running when they should have long been hauled off to the scrap yard. Serviced the generators, and kept most everything that had an engine running and capable of doing the work we needed them to do. He would also come down to the starting line each year when the school buses showed up with all the school kids and help wrangle the hordes and keep the peace with all those crazy teenagers.
Chuck was also a racer. He ran a beautiful 67 Pontiac Tempest in B/Classic Alt. I remember his excitement years back when he went fast enough to use the parachute for the first time. He had a huge smile as he told me all about it. There was also the time at the starting line when the engine cranked and cranked but would not fire. I finally opened his door and said "turn on the mag!", it fired right up. We always got a laugh out of that story.
His passing leaves a huge hole in out hearts and our organization. Chuck wasn't just a member of USFRA, he was part of the family. 

Offline USFRAMONTE

Re: Chuck Whiteman
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:37 PM »
At this time, plans are to have a celebration of Chuck's life this September at the World of Speed.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »
Just found this picture of Chuck and wanted to share it with you all.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 10:34:21 PM »
Chuck was a good guy. Sorry to hear this.  :-(
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
Bo called the other day and said Chuck had a stroke... this is not the outcome we all prayed for... another crappy day for LSR. 
GodSpeed Chuck
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:48:57 AM »
Chuck......gone far too young....what a lost....his racer with the yellow color was so nice on the salt....big fun to frame him with the camera.

in the inspection we always done jokes about his parachute....."man, you have to use your chute otherwise I can't make a picture of you with the chute in the back.....or
I have to use Photoshop and borrow one from Tom (Burkland)...", one day I really could get him a picture with the parachute....the smile was soooo wide...

will miss him R.I.P. Chuck

Bo called the other day and said Chuck had a stroke... this is not the outcome we all prayed for... another crappy day for LSR. 
GodSpeed Chuck
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RogerL

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:40 AM »
Sad news. God speed Chuck.

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
 :-( :-(  Chuck was a great guy and always had a good attitude when it came to us 'newbies'- patiently explaining or answering questions. Will be missed at WOS for sure! Race on Chuck-God speed ! Our deepest sympathy to family and friends !  :-(  Ed & Leona - Mad Gnome Racing

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
Sad news, indeed!  I've worked USFRA Tech under Chuck's leadership since 2010.  He'll be sorely missed by the entire Tech crew and everyone who knew him.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556