Author Topic: Jack Costella  (Read 7250 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Jack Costella
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 05:40:37 AM »
Sorry to read about Jack's passing.
RIP.🙏🙏🙏✝✝✝✝✝.
My condolences to all family and friends.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:40 AM »
This year starts tough....

Jack, losing you my friend, so sad....

we had so much fun to create the Yellow Submarine....

We had a so great time at the salt, at El Mirage and at your place in San Jose....

MAN, I will miss you but I will never forget you....

R.I.P. Jack.....have the same fun as you had here on the other side.....go crazy, go fast....so as you always done......

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
This for Jack
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »
How old was Jack?

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
---here's link to Jack's website---states he was born in 1935--and lots of other good stuff

http://www.jackcostella.com/

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 06:27:36 PM »
Rest easy Jack. You will be missed .

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
I did not have the opportunity to meet Jack, but after reading his introduction on his website, I thought this statement is the reason I race at Bonneville, and I quote:

Jack Costella  "People wonder if my vehicles are submarines or gliders. There is no driver, wheels or engine visible. It is imagination and innovation that keeps me going. I like participating in an activity that recognizes and awards creativity and innovation. The main obstacle with other racing is that events become handicapped with rules that don?t allow any different thinking. I now build LSR streamliners that allow the most freedom of design and innovation."

Tom

Actually, I think I did meet Jack in 2018 at "World of Speed".  I took this photo.  If this is not Jack, please let me know and I'll delete this photo.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:36:42 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
That is Jack.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »
I saw the Jack Costella thing yesterday, shocker.
I had communicated with him occasionally online since about 18 years ago or so, always responded, always cordial.
Due to our mutual emphasis on AERO, he was my #1 LSR hero.
IIRC, I corralled him in that Mad Max truck of his, SW '05 Saturday as he was in line. Asked Aero Qs for a couple mins, quickly digressed to life and pursuit of hippieness. Most enjoyable 20 mins of my lifes racing experience, getting an audience with the Guru of Air-Go without going up on a mountain, but on the Valhalla of LSR, The Salt, during SpeedWeek. 
Hey Jack, Thanks, we'll always have memories.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 04:34:48 AM »
Yes, this is Jack, in the orange T and the Yellow Submarine, now in the sidecar configuration....

Jack asked me in the 90's, as we both was thinking outside the box, if I see a chance to create a motorcycle which stands by his own without any kind of mechanical support
like a gyro....or outriggers....he understood my theory....and so he built at first the Yellow Submarine and later the Salt Snake....Cliff Gullett's streamliner...

the attached pictures shows Jack with his first successful racer, the NT 2, this racer got him into the 200 Club
Pork Pie

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Was this sudden as Jack posted on the forum only a couple of weeks ago.

Rest in Peace and Godspeed Jack Costella.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
Yrs truly can't think of anything more to add to  the accolades already expressed about Jack other than to post my ditto!

An extraordinary innovator!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JimL

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »
A memory smile about Jack.....it was late 90s and we were in an Eliminators meeting in the garage in Norco.  He had come down to visit and attend various meetings and was given a "brass balls award" for running through the traps at good speed, with back half of the car on fire.  There was a lot of friendly laughs that night.

It was a fun meeting for a bit player like me, to sit back and listen to Jack, and Donny Arivett, Jack Kelly, Bill Smothers, and others...while they discussed various problems about random LSR stuff.  I think the longest subject of the evening was Jack Kellys dry sump troubles that kept taking out the bottom end in the belly tank.

Sometimes you meet peoples that are so far above your level, it is a satisfying thrill to hear them all engaged.  He sure was a good fit in that level of people and I liked seeing that.

He certainly deserves the respect for the fun things he showed us and shared with us.

Cool running, Jack

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
Lost another one of the Giants !

Offline flatheadnut

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 02:07:15 PM »
I was in 1997 we are sitting at the end of the road,because the Utah
meet was rained out.This man in a motor home shows up and says I just
came from Black Rock Desert and they are trying to go faster then sound.Jack was there.A lot of us took off.When Barbie and I got there
Jack had Andy Green sitting in his car.What a class act.
Rest in peace Jack

Barbie & Ken Kloth