Author Topic: Howard Nafzger, RIP  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Betty Burkland

• New folks
Howard Nafzger, RIP
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
Howard Nafzger?s son Keith called this morning to let me know that he died during the night.  He was living in a nursing home in Safford, AZ,  since leaving his beloved Pearce, AZ, home & shop.  His wife, Florence, died in 2010, followed very shortly by his other son.  He was a great friend & a great racecar builder.  May he join our other racer-friends at the perfect salt flats in Heaven.  They?re getting quite a crowd up there.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Howard Nafzger, RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »
Howard you was a friend for life, it was great knowing you for a so long time....your journey on this side is over....you will have a great time on your new place

R.I.P. my friend

Howard Nafzger?s son Keith called this morning to let me know that he died during the night.  He was living in a nursing home in Safford, AZ,  since leaving his beloved Pearce, AZ, home & shop.  His wife, Florence, died in 2010, followed very shortly by his other son.  He was a great friend & a great racecar builder.  May he join our other racer-friends at the perfect salt flats in Heaven.  They?re getting quite a crowd up there.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RogerL

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
Sad news, RIP my friend.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
May Howard Rest in Peace and join so many other great racers in our memories.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this. I never had the opportunity to meet Howard even though he lived not too far away. RIP.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:56:57 PM »
Well Crap... again...
We have lost another one of the guys that helped make this sport what it is.

I know I've told this story here before... but it is one that's worth repeating
Early 90's Howard and Brian Savage are running his little streamliner with a Kawasaki ZX-10... we fry the clutch in the Bockscar's ZX-10 and put out the call that we need one.   There are several bikes but none have a clutch with them.  Howard says he thinks they have a clutch in their spares... He digs it out..... Brian says "what if we burn up our clutch"... Howard says "then we will be looking for one" and gave us his spare clutch. 
That's the spirit of Bonneville folks... Howard had it....
You will be missed my friend, Godspeed Howard... I know you've got the pedal to the metal.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 11:12:11 PM »
Howard you will always be remembered as a fast and dedicated racer.  Your inspiration and friendly demeanor showed you cared about your fellow racers.  I was honored to have you as my friend. RIP
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline BSTER

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Howard you will be missed for sure.  It was a pleasure to know you and race with you. RIP

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks Betty for letting us know about Howard. Godspeed and Rest in Peace
Howard.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Calisparky

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »
Hello all that knew this man I wish I had.
July of 2020 my wife and I purchased Howard's home in Sunizona, Pearce Arizona.
The things I've been able to hear about him through the neighbors in this tiny ghost town in South east Arizona are fascinating to say the least.  The drawings on the floor of this shop for his creations and thoughts through the garage are intriguing. To know the little I do Abbott what he created in this garage are something that I wish I could have been next to him to learn what he could teach. 
It seams he was a true genius at the building concept along with the engineering and the concrete floor is a small example of this. 

There is a part of a fiberglass wreck from Roger Lessman #262 dated 8/21/90 42nd speedweek remains on the wall of the garage.

Guys.  Those lucky enough to have know or even MET this man are quite lucky indeed.  I wish I could say the same. 

Only posting this after finding this page researching him this Sunday afternoon.  I do know his son,  Keith and keep in contact periodically,  inviting hill to a steak and beer BBQ but he's a busy man with a busy schedule. Do take care all.  I mean nothing but complete respect posing this, 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 11:10:50 PM »
Had the pleasure of several visits in his home once I finally found it with he and his wife what a great guy---bought a 302 GMC that he and his son had harvested out of an old school bus..  RIP Friend
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
One of the best days at Speedweek I ever spent was a rainout day at the motel with Howard and a bunch of other senior citizen racers BSing all day with them in lawn chairs, what a sharp intelligent racer he was. At the time has was racing the 900 Kawasaki powered liner or lakester. RIP Howard, it was a pleasure spend
ing a day with you

Offline RogerL

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 12:51:46 PM »
Wow! I am humbled to know Howard had a piece of my old hot rod on his garage wall. RIP my friend.