Author Topic: Stan Barrett and the Budweiser Rocket - Speed of Sound?  (Read 5946 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Stan Barrett and the Budweiser Rocket - Speed of Sound?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 12:17:30 AM »
Thanks for posting that picture.  This knife was passed down to us from our family and we never knew what it was used for.  It is a butcher's knife.

Offline N72727

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
Thanks for posting that picture.  This knife was passed down to us from our family and we never knew what it was used for.  It is a butcher's knife.
Amazing what the Internet can do, isn't it ?
We visited many nice places in Oregon in August. World of Speed Museum, Evergreen Museum, Erickson Aircraft, and WAAAM in Hood River. This last museum is just amazing.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
TrickeyDicky asked if Barrett wore a helmet, from looking at the video it certainly does not appear that he did. That is crazy!
Big balls small brain.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »
Well they have an open face Bell @ 6:49
My guess is the helmet went on after he was in, and came off before he came out... the hatch is overhead so that would be possible.  That part is probably laying on the cutting room floor... all the Bud video was edited to show what they wanted back in the day. 
You don't see them latching or unlatching belts either...  :?
 :dhorse:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 12:06:00 AM »

Big balls small brain.

Rex

A different world back then. Dan Gurney, among others, didn't wear seat-belts in F1?too many fires during crashes, they preferred to get thrown from the car to being burned. Remember the Halibrand Shrike Indy car, it had a cast magnisium chassis?have you ever seen magnisium burn?

Lets look at early hotrodding. No rollbars, no helmets, drivers driving fuel class cars, wearing nothing but a t-shirt and greasy Levis for protection (that's what I wore at Bonneville 1959). Ever see an early Bell helmet lined with foam rubber? I've worn them at SCTA evens. The later non-Snell Styrofoam were better.

Glenn Leasher was wearing a helmet when he died at Bonnville in Sept 1962. So was Bob Funk when he died at El Mirage in July 1962. I wasn't at the scene when Leasher died, but I was talking to Funk and Jeff Shipley twenty minuets before the crash.

Racing has always been dangerous, so has doing stunts for movies. Stuff happens?I've known many people who have met violent death in both motor-sports and in movies production. And a few that didn't die, through sheer dumb luck.

BTW Happy New Year!

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.