Author Topic: Medical Insurance  (Read 2529 times)

Offline neandethal

Medical Insurance
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »
Hi, i have now competed at 2 speedweeks, in 2018 i found it easy and relatively cheap to get motorsport medical insurance, but for 2019 i took the risk of "self-insuring", as the cost was quoted at over $1500 for the week.
For 2020, i would like to do both Speedweek and BMST, as i am building a streamliner for an FIM attempt at some time in the future and it would be good to have an understanding of the BMST event.
In their rules it states that medical insurance is mandatory, and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a US based firm that would insure a visiting Brit to compete in these motorsport events?  Any help appreciated, regards Ian

Offline maj

Re: Medical Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:26:21 PM »
At BMST use the AMA rider insurance , If you do the FIM its part of the licence fee now

Offline neandethal

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
thanks that excellent news, cheers, Ian

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
The AMA insurance has some very low maximum payouts, so you're still self insured for major expenses.  Furthermore, AMA is only for AMA events, so won't cover racing at non-AMA events.  I used to purchase motorsport insurance thru CIBC in Canada.  This year (2019), they discontinued their high risk motorsport insurance, so I went self insured.

I found another insurer, but they would only insure me if I bought their high risk insurance for the duration of my visit, which was 3 months, and hence was prohibitive.

So if anyone knows of another source of reasonable motorsport insurance, please let us know.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »
I recently needed a flight to hospital.
The cost? $55k.
Health insurance doesn't want to cover it, because it was vehicular.
Motorcycle insurance doesn't want to cover it, because it was not my motorcycle, and it was off-road.
I can only imagine what the parties may say if injuries were incurred whilst <gasp> racing.
Afterwards, I found that, yeah, insurance is offered for medical transport, via air or ground.

...as if we didn't have to purchase enough insurances for everything already.
You can purchase insurance for, in case, your dog needs cancer treatment, for instance.

...but maybe having med transport insurance is a consideration.
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline salt27

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
I recently needed a flight to hospital.
The cost? $55k.
Health insurance doesn't want to cover it, because it was vehicular.
Motorcycle insurance doesn't want to cover it, because it was not my motorcycle, and it was off-road.
I can only imagine what the parties may say if injuries were incurred whilst <gasp> racing.
Afterwards, I found that, yeah, insurance is offered for medical transport, via air or ground.

...as if we didn't have to purchase enough insurances for everything already.
You can purchase insurance for, in case, your dog needs cancer treatment, for instance.

...but maybe having med transport insurance is a consideration.

Jet is not wrong.

Racing aside, just living rural a Lifeflight can be upwards of $100k.

Don't ask how I know.   

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
Nancy's ride in the ambulance from Land's End to the hospital in SLC was a cool $11,000.  That's about $100/mile.  The good news is that although we didn't have coverage for that ride, the Wendover ambulance company was quite amenable to our pleas for mercy.  Thanks to them for that, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
Regarding the ambulance portion of this - the article below is three years old and I am not sure how accurate it is now. But the numbers are pretty dizzying. https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=4139196&itype=cmsid

Looks like Classic Air Medical serves Utah and has a membership for secondary air ambulance insurance coverage for $69 - https://classicairmedical.com/membership-information/. It's implied that this will cover any part of the air ambulance fees that your (required) regular medical insurance doesn't cover. I think. Not 100% sure on this. For you PNW racers, it looks like Life Flight might have reciprocation with Classic Air Medical in Utah. The websites are pretty noncommittal in their wording and it's probably worth making a phone call to verify any of this stuff before paying for a membership.

If it works as described it seems like a pretty reasonable expenditure to avoid getting clobbered with a nightmarish bill if you need an air ambo.

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
Never had to use it but I get this at a reduced rate through the VFW: https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com/

You never know your real coverage until you file a claim!  :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »

This Company, HDF Insurance has a policy that is suposed to be good AND reasonable. There is ONE catch. It's for 64 and younger folks. Dang it!!! Below is from their website.

Racers Emergency Medical Insurance
Do you race outside of your home province or in the U.S.A.? Are you having a hard time finding medical insurance that will cover you while you are racing there? Well, this is what you?ve been looking for. Out of Province / Out of Country automobile racers can obtain emergency medical insurance to protect them at racing events, even while driving!

The plan is very inexpensive and will cover you for up to 30 days at a time, outside of your province or country of residence.

When you return to your province of residence, your 30 day clock resets.

Features include:

$5 million of Emergency Medical Insurance
Covered 24 hours/day whether racing or not
$120/year annual premium
An HDF broker can answer all of your questions and explain the program in more detail. Contact us today for a quote, then rev up those engines!

Cheers
Ted
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline QikNip

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
When I traveled to South Africa in April,  I bought a no exception million dollar health policy (on this side of the pond)for about $350. It included air ambulance service back to the states. I wonder if that sort of coverage might not be available in the UK? BTW, I would be silent re: the racing stuff. :) muutt

138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record