Author Topic: Speed Queen and Shea Racer go to Bonneville  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Old-N-Slow

Speed Queen and Shea Racer go to Bonneville
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
very now and then, I find a nice film on YouTube that calls out for wider viewing - especially by the LSR crowd........This bit is long-ish, but it kept me in my seat the whole time..........Short on deep history and numbers, but all the major players except for Dr. Allan Abbott are there.......I have nicknamed this Speed Queen and Shea Racer go to Bonneville .................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUmgMhn2iY

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Speed Queen and Shea Racer go to Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
I was there for Doc Howard... he used the Vesco family streamliner for the drag shield... missed the guy in the middle... but also there for this one.... nice girls.  Just before the record I took some pics, I'll look... she was waiting to go, I asked her if I could take a pic, she said sure... I went around front and shot it through the window.... then I said... wait, you blinked and you are not smiling... smile this time.... I'm sure she did, behind the helmet and face shield who would know... but it made her laugh and she said she was smiling.  :wink:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 04:16:50 PM »
Fantastic.

As a cyclist, hotrodder, motorcyclist, feminist, and land speed record holder, it got me by the feels for sure.

Cheers!

-jf
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »
What about the guy in the 70's that was paced by a mid 50's chey with a big block, that had the pace car clear the mile before the bike entered so it was only his pedaling for power for the full mile? I think his average speed was in the 150 range.
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
What about the guy in the 70's that was paced by a mid 50's chey with a big block, that had the pace car clear the mile before the bike entered so it was only his pedaling for power for the full mile? I think his average speed was in the 150 range.
Tell us about it. It seems to be unknown to Wikipedia.

"Allan Abbott, a cycling enthusiast and motorcycle racer, elevated the motor-paced bicycle speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats, reaching 223 km/h (139 mph) in 1973. John Howard, Olympic cyclist and Ironman triathlon winner, reset the record to 244 km/h (152 mph), also at the Bonneville Salt Flats, on 20 July 1985."

edit: Abbott was the one with the '55 Chevy, but your story of him doing the mile unpaced will need some evidence.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:39:01 PM by tortoise »

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
Dr. Allen Abbott indeed raced PACED behind a 1955 Chevy......He pedaled behind through the full mile, protected from the wind by the barn doors fit to the rear of the Chevy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dr+a+abbott+1973+bicycle&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiknLjJuL3mAhVRwVkKHXjdB3IQ_AUoAXoECAkQAw&biw=1265&bih=731#imgrc=OZB_GuT2pRgGZM:&spf=1576611843590
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:45:27 PM by Old-N-Slow »

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 11:10:18 PM »
Side note to Dr Abbots 1973 effort- yrs truly witnessed him JOGGING from Wendover to the salt at least one A M!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
Dr Abbott has an enduring interest in Human-Powered Vehicles,
and considering his background, one might expect that he would
be intensely interested in preparing to PEDAL to the world record.

Maybe we could get permission to do the same thing with out care,
and drive from Wendover to the start line at Full Throttle.........