Author Topic: 50 Years at Bonneville - Scott Guthrie Remembers  (Read 35192 times)

Offline Old-N-Slow

Re: 50 Years at Bonneville - Scott Guthrie Remembers
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
I can't remember if it was that Dec'59 issue or not- that included a photo with young Danny Thompson kneeling by Challenger's front wheel. Truly invaluable image. :-)

'59 was when I became a Pontiac fan (60 years so far?), based at least somewhat on Mickey's exploits. By December I had acquired my first Pontiac engine- a '57 Tri-Power 347- and was terrorizing the roads with it in a '37 Buick opera coupe.

Yes, very powerful images then and now.  I remember Micky and the 4-engine car being on the cover of HOT ROD at least twice so thats an option.

I always lusted after an early 1960's 421 tri power with the funny allow wheels.

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Though this is about the salt and bikes, I am glad you mentioned the swimming. Having competed with you (avoided the same events when you were there :oops:) I can attest to your expertise in that endeavor as well. I am still at that and having just aged up and am after all the Maryland state records. Miss seeing you at meets. Best of luck and keep up with the remembrances.  :cheers: :cheers:

You kind to remember me Jack especially about swimming. 
For others, you should know that Jack has for DECADES been one of the top ranked swimmers in the world.. I started masters swimming, and Jack started in 1990 - almost  30 years for him.  In that time, Jack has scored several national championships, and has placed almost 100 TIMES in the highest rankings.

Jack and I are the same age of 75, so I will NEVER escape him..............

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »
JUST A PASSING NOTE......This board does funny things with punctuation
so I try to edit to avoid all those intrusive question marks and emojis. 

That makes apostrophes unusable and other non grammatical aberrations frequent.

Its kind of like my table manners. 
I have em but I dont always use em.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Its kind of like my table manners. 
I have em but I dont always use em.

Boy, living a bachelor existence can I ever relate to that!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 02:01:21 PM »
How come boldface font this time?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 02:06:11 PM »
50 YEARS AT BONNEVILLE:
Scott Guthrie Remembers
Chapter #4

The first turnings of the wrenches 1971-73.

Or: The Creation of a Whole New Bureaucracy !

In late 1971, I located a basket-case 1957 883cc Harley Davidson Sportster at an affordable price. For me, that meant accepting a partially - disassembled engine, with not much usable inside. And as it turned out, useless running gear.

But, it was cheap !

I decided on the 1957 year for several reasons: The first year for the Sportster was 1957, and I figured that the factory assembly line tooling would still be sharp, and everything as good as the factory could make it for a new-model introduction. Also, the original model was low-compression, and had small ports in the heads. My particular bike was early enough that it was made in 1956, so as to be in dealer showrooms in the fall of 1956, for the 1957 model year.

1957 Harley Sportster: maybe NOT the image of speed at Bonneville (see photo below)

Although many tuners eventually went with larger intake and exhaust ports, I thought that was not the way to get top-end power. When Harley produced the Iron-Head XR750 Factory Racer in 1970, they reverted to the small port castingsmuch like my 1957.

The stock frame was OK, and I could rebuild the engine, and maybe put in high-compression pistons. Add some high-lift PB Factory Race cams, and a bigger carburetor. Maybe a close-ratio C transmission.

Bonneville started to seem more like a goal, and not just a dream.

(You will probably notice that, with almost no thinking, I had decided to race a Harley Davidson Sportster at Bonneville. Later, I would be forced into a painful re-examination of this decision?..)

How to get us and the bike TO Bonneville ?

My daily driver was a VW van, of embarrassing 1959 vintage with something like 180,000 miles, and late on it?s 2nd 36hp engine. I had driven this humble conveyance to San Francisco (where I met my soon-to-be wife Ellen)
and back to Florida in the summer of 1968,

The VW was reliable, but with zero towing capacity. It had 36 horsepower and a top speed in the 55mph range. Not ideal for Bonneville transportation.

I bought an ancient Dodge A100 van, also cheap, but with only 96,000 miles showing, to get to and from Bonneville. The power train included a ultra-reliable slant-6 engine, and a 3-on-the-tree transmission.

(See photo below)

Wow: A Whole new bureaucracy was being created. New race bike, NEW truck; this Salt thing was starting to take over my life !

My van was VERY unusual, having the double doors on BOTH sides. This allowed housekeeping and dining on one side, and bike maintenance on the other side. My changing
room was the aft 48 inches of the cargo area.

Eventually, I was ready to drive to, and to race at Bonneville in 1972. Bonneville was only 2,500 miles from home, a mere three days of driving for my oh-so-slow Six-banger van.

I had seen the speed numbers put up by the soon-to-be-famous Ralph Bigger Balls Hudson, and I knew to avoid those annoying 2-strokes. (Yet another decision that would haunt me.) The new-for-1969 Honda CB750 4-cylinder overhead-cam bikes would be a real threat if bored out for my class !

In 1972, there was a Class-C / 883cc class, and there were NO production 2-strokes or overhead-cam bikes that were big enough to fit into class C- 883cc.

At the time, the SCTA deferred bike stuff to the American motorcycle Association (AMA), and used the AMA rules.

That included a production-based engine class called Class C, which was (among other things) limited to original bore and stroke and demanded engine parts, like cases, cylinders and heads to be original to the bike and year.

PERFECT for a Harley sportster with 883cc?s.

However, there was NO pushrod class back in those days !

ANOTHER detail that would also soon haunt me.

Anyway, we were full speed ahead to hit Bonneville
In August 1972, and KICK Acura !

BUT, 1972 was a no go for me.

A view of Bonneville in the monsoon season (photo below)

PHOTOS:  In the original articles, lovingly published by Wendy at the BONNEVILLE RACING NEWS, there were PICTURES !...It is a little too cumbersome for me with my 75 year old pre digital brain to post those here since it involves photobucket and things like that.  IF you go to my facebook account, the pictures are attached to THAT version of these articles..........https://www.facebook.com/scott.guthrie.3154.........
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:54:21 PM by Old-N-Slow »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
Still have all the question marks, no matter the font.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
No worries Stan, around Scott there are always question marks....  :?  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »
50 YEARS AT BONNEVILLE:
Scott Guthrie Remembers

Chapter #5

The first glimmerings of productive thought

The rain-out of 1972 actually helped us. 

Had we raced in 1972, I might have found out how bad the 1972 bike actually was, but I would have taken two weeks of vacation time, spent lots of money, and driven 5,000 miles to find that out?..Largely money down the drain.

So back to the drawing board and the shop for the fall, winter, spring and summer of 1972 / 73.

Back in early 1972, in deserted-road testing, my bike was FAST, but the handling of the bike at high speed, and with a stock chassis was uncertain, (Read: Scary??. ) and not at all confidence inspiring.  Certainly NOT good enough for five miles of top speed at Bonneville.

While I wondered how to make improvements to the chassis, I concentrated on the Harley engine and chassis.  The engine got better bearings and improvements to the breathing.  L.A.-based Jerry Branch (With the permission of the Harley racing department) did me a pair of factory spec twin-carb heads with BIG valves.  Tom Sifton made me a set of type A cams, and I installed a D close-ratio transmission.  I had many of the engine and transmission parts hard chromed for friction reduction.

To the small extent that I had thought about such things, I felt that smaller ports would increase the intake air velocity, Likewise, the bigger valves would encourage more air to enter the cylinders. Dual (rather than the usual single) carbs would allow me to tune each cylinder independently.

Cylinder-head temperature gauges offered tuning tips, too.

Although such things might be deemed unnecessary now, at the time, I largely didn?t know exactly where the magic was, so I had to do everything.  Also, if I was very lucky, I would make an astounding 70 horsepower, and the drive-train need all the friction reducers I could find !

My acquaintance Warner Riley Jr ? an early Bonneville 200 mph Club motorcycle member entering aboard a Harley Sportster, built me a crankshaft that was nicely balanced and VERY true.  Warner was one of the first motorcycle members of the Bonneville 200 mph Club; riding an Iron Head Sportster on large amounts of Nitro.  His crank got me through testing and racing in 72 and 73, and was never a problem.

My friend Roger Reiman in Illinois had been Grand National motorcycle racing champion on Harleys, and he had won the biggest motorcycle race in the world ? the Daytona 200 - several times.  I asked Roger how to improve the stock Sportster chassis to be good for 150 mph. After a long pause, Roger said: you can?t

This could only lead to MORE time, trouble and money ? maybe missing Bonneville another year.

I made a couple of phone calls??????

I had done a little R&D work for the Harley Davidson Racing Department, so I approached Racing department head Dick O?Brien for some ideas and maybe a little help. 

Dick saw to it that I received a number of REAL racing parts, and in early 1973 that included a new factory XRTT road-racing chassis.

Frame photo by John Steel

I dropped my engine into the Factory XRTT chassis, and set the bike up for Bonneville, with the Reiman rear wheel (see below picture), and my no-brake home-made front wheel.  I had bought some used Dunlop racing tyres at Daytona in March, and I spooned those on my wire spoke wheels.  Chassis and engine ready with a home-made gas tank and modified race seat.

Thankfully for my diminishing budget, Roger had some old-fashioned Harley race parts around, which had no use in modern bikes.  He sent some of those on to me.  He also supplied the fairing for my partially streamlined attempts, made from 1973-77.  This was the same fairing he had used to win a Daytona 200 mile race in the 1960?s.  I chose the earlier narrow Harley KR fairing ? developed by California?s Wixom Brothers - over the later wide-body fairing; going for the smaller frontal area.

Roger Reiman, with Old guys and Old parts, 1966 Daytona 200 winner.  I used the rear wheel and fairing.

Traveling and testing in 1972, the Dodge van slant six engine had proved weak, and I doubted it could make the 5,000 and something mile trip to and from Bonneville without trouble.  So in the summer of 1973 I used a chain fall to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom of the van.   The engine dropped onto a metal sheet that I used to slide the engine out from under the van on the grass of my back yard.

With my minimal skills, I replaced bearings and synchro?s in the transmission.  The engine got the better deal: polish the crank, new crank bearings and rod inserts, new rings and seals; also a valve job.  Never Seize anti-corrosion lubricant everywhere to prevent the salt corrosion I expected at Bonneville. 

In 1969-71, I had been a graduate assistant in the Department of Physical Oceanography, while working my way through my master?s degree in education.  My day job for the department was as a machinist.  This included assisting the design of, and the fabrication of, equipment that might see a 15,000 foot depth.  Never Seize had become my friend.

All six exhaust valves looked like this: Usable but marginal.  Better to do it at home than on the road, and maybe miss speed week !

The same metal sheet slid the engine and transmission back under the van, and I winched the engine up and into place.

A two by four could be put between the window frames of the van to hold the chain-fall to raise and lower the engine.

In my summer spare time, the 1957 Harley engine was then converted to better Bonneville specification??..

Continuing on the bike, I found a likely hub for a Bonneville (no brakes) front wheel.  I used Reiman?s Daytona-winning rear wheel, since I could change gearing with the change of rear sprockets.  The stock Harley wheel essentially offered NO changes.

I bought a used alloy rim; bought some blank spokes, which I cut to length, then taught myself to form threads on spokes, and to lace and true wheels.

Front wheel photo by Ed Hunt

My new day job, starting the fall of 1972, was still teaching school, but only part time, so the cost of racing was a REAL factor!

We were so very hopeful about setting a record and fulfilling a dream
that we missed the storm clouds ahead..

(In creative writing, this is called foreshadowing )

PHOTOS:  In the original articles, lovingly published by Wendy at the BONNEVILLE RACING NEWS, there were PICTURES !...It is a little too cumbersome for me with my 75 year old pre digital brain to post those here since it involves photobucket and things like that.  IF you go to my facebook account, the pictures are attached to THAT version of these articles..........https://www.facebook.com/scott.guthrie.3154.........
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:55:14 PM by Old-N-Slow »

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

50 years at Bonneville; Scott Guthrie remembers

Chapter #5  - 1973

Actually going to Bonneville for the 1st time

In the summer of 1973, my wife quit her job, I took a long summer break from school teaching and we set of on a 10-week meandering trip to and from Bonneville.

This once-in-a-lifetime trip showed us the beauty of the United States??and the questionable quality of my own workmanship.  Happily, the Dodge van engine, though still weak, was ultra - reliable.  The transmission was not so much, having developed a personality that seemed to love 3rd gear ? and to NOT shift out of top gear when coming to a stop.  The van was SO loaded with racing and camping supplies that starting from a dead stop on a hill was killing the clutch.

I became adept at sliding under the van (it was that high on it?s springs), removing the transmission inspection side-plate, and manually shifting the transmission out of 3rd.  If I was careful to select a berm on the left side of the van angling the van up so I would not lose any transmission fluid?

Since I had a compressed-air tank for working at Bonneville ? filling tires, and light ratchet work ? I found I could make the whole Transmission repair quite quickly.

Somewhere in Kansas, we drifted into a self-service gas station about dusk, the orange sun setting over the fruited plains.  I asked the attendant if I could borrow a little of his asphalt parking lot to repair my transmission.  The pump jockey frowned at our forlorn little van, and sighed that Yes, we could make the repair, over there, out of the way, and where spilled oil wouldn?t matter.

He went back to his indoor desk, put up his feet back up on the desk, and resumed reading his HOT ROD magazine. We went to the side of the pavement.  I quietly got out my air-tank, coily-cord air hose and air ratchet with the 6-point, 9/16 socket and went to work.

(photo)
The simplicity of Three on the Column

?Brrrr WOW, Brrrr WOW? went the ratchet 10 times.  Off comes the side inspection plate.  My pry-bar ?encouraged? 3rd gear to release.  Behind the wheel, Ellen jiggles the column shifter, and we confirm we now have 3-forward speeds.  10 more hits with the air wrench, and the transmission is buttoned up and oil tight again. We must have ?reused? the same gasket about eight times?..

Photo
The simplicity of the 60?s van.  Many recent innovations, like heat.  The engine is in the ?center seat?  Easy to access in the rain,  but hot in the summer.  NO air conditioning in those long-ago days !

Elapsed time was no more than 10 minutes.

I drive us over to the pumps, and we fill up.

The attendant wanders out to collect our credit card (no spending cash when we might need it later at Bonneville), and looks bemusedly at me at the pump.  Decide to not work on the transmission ? he wondered.

No, I said nonchalantly,?ten minutes was plenty to get into the box and rearrange the gears?..

He looked longer than necessary at my oil and grease free hands, shook his head, and took the card inside.

This was becoming the adventure of a lifetime !

On our way through Colorado, and into the purple mountains, we stopped to visit one of Ellen?s brothers atop a 7,500 foot mountain outside Boulder.  Starting at the bottom of Brother?s Hill, @ 5,500 feet altitude, the heavily loaded van, with the even-more asthmatic  slant-six, and the  3-speed was geared too tall to make the grade, even in 1st???..

FAIL !

I did a 180 degree turn, as if to go back to the bottom of the hill, and slipped into reverse.  Reverse was a substantially LOWER gear than my highway-derived 1st gear.

(photo)
Main gear set in the van. Notice the smallest gear in the reverse position, which gave the van the ultra-low ratio when backing up.

We BACKED UP part of the seven miles???.

After two miles, much under 10 mph, I vowed that if  we EVER needed to do that again, we would just call a taxi !

Having enjoyed the new snow on 11,300 ft. Berthoud Pass west of Denver, we achieved never-before-seen van speeds on the downhill run, eventually arriving in Wendover, but frontwards.

We arrived on the salt comfortably early, and went directly to the pits.  I was able to find a little work spot where I could have an EXCELLENT view of the long (only) course.

I found myself wondering why this prime pit spot was available??.

Tech inspection was surprisingly quick  with no problems; nothing to fix.  Next morning, with GREAT nervousness, I went out on the race course, and promptly hammered the bike down the track to an amazing top speed of 98.500 MPH (by time slip) on my very first run on the salt.

(Coming down out of the Rocky Mountains, I had been faster in my slant 6 Dodge Van, on the way to the track??.)

Don McCaw?s standing record in class MPS-C-1000 was 136.003.

I had a LONG way to go !.......................

My assumption was that, since the
tach reading was for a substantially higher speed, than my clutch must have been slipping.  It was NOT conceivable I could spin the rear tyre at 98mph with (maybe) 70 horsepower??..

Of course, I also wondered if I had made a rookie mistake with my tire choice.  At the Daytona 200 motorcycle race in March, I had purchased a couple of used RAIN tires for use at Bonneville.  My feeling was that the softer rain tires would give better traction on the moist salt, but now I was wondering.

So, with some disappointment we returned to the pits, and slipped the bike onto my homemade trackside workbench. We drained the primary (clutch case) oil, and took out the multi-plate dry clutch pack. Everything looked perfect, and no stinky smell of burned clutch plates.

About this time, I took a break, and looked to the track, and noticed that there was nobody
running.  Remembering the lack of sounds,  I concluded there had been no one running for some time. 

Les Leggitt was in the next pit, loudly (and fragrantly) tuning up his AA Blown Fuel car, so I asked HIM what was up. 

Les shouted: They shut down the course ?cause the
clocks are fouled up.  (We are both deep breathing nitro fumes in the previously clean Bonneville air) Some guy went through the traps on a Harley at an obviously good speed, and the clocks seemed to be off by maybe 50 mph

(photo)

Throughout the week, each time Les revved the blown-fuel motor, I realized WHY this pit spot had been available??.

Back together went the Harley clutch, and back in line
(You spend a LOT of time in line at Bonneville)
we went to attempt to qualify to run for record the next morning.

I would soon learn to do this sort of routine maintenance while waiting in line.  The more time spent in the pits, the less time available to race.  The line time remains the same.

On my first run with the bike back together, I needed over 136mph to qualify to run for record the next morning by exceeding (going faster than) the existing record. However, a 135.54 mph on my first full power pass was not quite enough.  BUT, it showed that I was in the ball park !

My next run was at 10 am that same Tuesday morning, and I found 137.61 mph !  I had reduced the front sprocket from 20 teeth to 19 teeth (against a rear sprocket of 40 teeth) to let the engine wind up a little more. 

I had qualified !

To run for record, I was required to be at the starting line, and ready to get into my (cold) leathers the next morning at 7:00 SHARP!

SIDEBAR

Bonneville, in those days had qualifying on one day,
and two(2) runs for the record the first thing next morning. 

We would run north (called ?down?), toward floating mountain, and then the return run would be south (back), toward the interstate highway. 

This meant having to break the World Record not once,
 but TWICE to become the new record holder???..Once in qualifying, and at least once the next day in record runs.

We were allowed to take the bikes into town
 and work on them at leisure overnight, which we did in a closed gas station, with flashlights.

End sidebar.

I checked everything, hoping for enlightenment, and maybe some unfound speed.

We found a few things to clean up or adjust,
but nothing to add to even 2 mph.

Ever cost conscious, we camped out of the van near the track in an area now called ?the Bend in the Road.?

Free, and only 5 miles from the start line.

We parked hard on the side of the road, maybe 10 feet from the pavement, all ready to be up at 6:00 am !

If we were late to the Marshaling hour
of 7:00 O?clock, we would not be allowed
to run, and have to start all over by qualifying again?..

There was a problem, Houston.   

We had forgotten to bring an alarm clock.

I made a stray piece of cardboard into a sign saying:

We Qualified,
Please Honk.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:56:16 PM by Old-N-Slow »

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Pictures from koncretekid show up, but that's it.
No pictures from Scott .

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 11:01:02 PM »
Franey (and everyone else):

If you go back a handful of pages you'll see where Scott explained that the hassles of getting pics into a Forum post are more than he chose to do, especially since they are available elsewhere.

Yeah, I could figure out a way to get them here, but I'm just the head handlebar holder, and Scott and all of youse guys pretty much get to decide how you wanna do it. 

Sorry - no pics, but I tried.  Find the relevant copies of Bonneville Racing news, or follow the stuff on some of the Facebook pages, and who knows where else Mr. Guthrie has displayed it.  Don't miss any - it's worth digging.

:-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 12:39:22 PM »
I joined just to get info on a couple of forums.

Thanks, Tom.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »
So near, and yet so far?.

Chapter #6

We Qualified,
Please Honk.

Other qualifiers honked loudly and frequently, so we made it to impound on time. Other campers were NOT amused??.

This was ?The gathering of Eagles !?

In those days, ONLY record- qualified racers were allowed at the start line. Record runs were run in both directions, and the reverse direction ran through the original starting line. So folks waiting to qualify were kept back in the pits, and to not be in the way if somebody ?went long.?

The ONLY folks in this group were ?the anointed;? those faster than the existing records !

This was rarefied air at the Mount Olympus of speed. Would we mere mortals be allowed even to breath that same air ? Would we be found worthy ?

We HAD qualified on the ?first? attempt,
but would glory be ours ?

There was a ANOTHER problem, Houston !...............

Over the winter and spring of 1972-73, I spent so much
time on the bike and van that I did not notice the
(unannounced) elimination of the 883cc class.

I would have to run against the 1000cc bikes.
And, as Ry Cooder might have said, THIS particular black cloud did NOT have a silver lining!

I was not the only competitor caught unawares. Also surprised were the riders in the 200cc, 600cc and the 700 cc classes, whose records ?disappeared? in the re-calibration of the rule / record book.

Interestingly, there were relatively few classes for larger bikes. There was of course the imposing 1000cc class, the next up category was the 1,200cc division. The only remaining category was the maximum class of 3,000cc.

NO 1350cc, NO 1650cc, and NO 2,000cc classes. Those would appear later. So, if you had an 80 cubic inch Harley, you had to run in the 3,000cc class???

1973, in addition to the new, all-inclusive 1,000cc class, brought the appearance of the Kawasaki 903cc double - over- head cam bike (code named in development by Kawasaki as the New York Steak).

Last year, I would have been safely in the 883cc class, and I did NOT look forward to competing against a full-factory team in my first efforts, especially while giving away overhead cams and more than 10% of my displacement !..

The new Z-1 Kawasaki, was perfect for the new 1000cc class, with 903cc, double over-head cams, and unlimited funds for development, and press introduction at Bonneville.

(photo)
The Yoshimura Kawasaki Z-1, 1973

1973 also brought ?Pops? Yoshimura to Bonneville.

(photo)
POPS AT WORK in the 1970?s. Note the ball cap turned a
little sideways in ?pre hip-hop? style.

A legend among US soldiers in Viet Nam period Japan, Pops would go on to dominate motorcycle road racing in the USA, and gain world-wide respect. Pop?s Kawasaki Z-1 was a true factory bike, with everything done that could be done.

Plus, ?the Z? was ridden by a real racer, an AMA expert, named Dale Alexander, a retired Indian factory rider, and professional pilot who flew for the ?Flying Tigers? in WW2.

The Yoshimura team had been very clever, having hired as riders both Dale Alexander, an AMA Professional rider, and Bruce Flanders, son of the Earl Flanders ? the AMA steward for the race meeting. ( Handsome Earl Flanders, born in 1911, and a champion rider himself, supervised the first over 200 MPH record at Bonneville speed week in 1956) If THEY didn?t know how to run a Bonneville race program, than nobody did !

(photo)
Flanders Co. Earl is 4th from right
(Actually, 4th from left)

Their experience and knowledge of racing was beyond my wildest dreams, and I was sure that the only chance I had for victory would come along with a ?lucky earthquake? that somehow swallowed all the teams bikes equipment.

That Kawasaki was substantially faster than my poor old 1957 Harley. We just needed a time slip to see how badly I was going to be beaten !

We eased our Humble Dodge A-100 6-cylinder van up to the starting area, and shyly unloaded the bike into line.

I had a lot of misgivings about this whole Bonneville thing ! This would be the first race bike I had even built from scratch, including the engine. Evenings O?plenty had been spent at the drafting board, and with paper and the primitive calculators of the day. It was an advanced device that allowed both ?the square? function, and had ?pi.?

I though my intuition, ability to mechanic and fabricate were OK, and my ability to ride was adequate ? after all, it was all in a straight line??

So, here we were, at the Bonneville starting line, 3 runs TOTAL under my belt, standing next to a fully-funded factory effort. Some said later, I looked cool and collected; while actually I was petrified by the possibility of total failure and huge embarrassment. In a way, I was too nervous to ACT nervous.

As befitting a true factory effort, the Yoshimura / Kawasaki team
was on the salt before we arrived. Their specially-made van held
ALL FOUR of their bikes . All four bikes were qualified, serviced and all the riders were suited up.

We were greatly impressed, and hardly optimistic.

Dale on the Z-1,our direct competitor, was to run ahead of us, and he would probably
be substantially faster than I would be.

HOWEVER, there was always the
chance ? though remote ? that Dale might have
engine trouble, or have ignition failure.

Right !

Dale sped away from the start line and EVERYBODY
at the start area and in the pits stopped to watch and listen.

This would be the first time anybody in the world
would hear this fabulous bike make it?s glorious double-overhead-cam,
4-cylinder sounds for five miles straight ahead without letting up.

We were all transfixed.

It was the sound of my doom.

And it sounded wonderful????

(photo)
The 1973 YoshimuraBonneville-only Z-1 Kawasaki set up for unfaired, modified class. The ?D? on the number plate indicates that this bike ( A,B, C, D etc.) was
set up to run it?s Fourth class of speed week. So NO, I did NOT invent ?class jumping !

In anticipation of the cool morning air, I had rather hopefully changed my sprocket back up from 19 to 20 teeth. In Florida, I had calculated that would be the best choice, but now I was nervous. If the engine wouldn?t pull the taller gear, I would be knocked back down into the 130?s. Maybe far enough down that we would not ?record.? Oh well, Dale was going to go a lot faster than I would, so why not try. I would learn something about Bonneville racing, and maybe confirm my ?winter thinking.?

My pre-race thinking came back to me as we warmed the bike: The cams were pretty ?radical? for the application, and I hoped they would both produce power and not break the two-coil valve springs. The lift was a little ?sudden? and that never helps longevity. My understanding from Tom Sifton was that these had been developed for flat track, and were NOT intended for Bonneville, and the long, high-RPM application.

Time to shut off all the questions and worries, and to concentrate on riding??..

Minutes later, Bob Higbee gave me the track, and I wandered hopefully down toward the timing lights.

The Harley had too much compression to kick start or push start, so I held on to the driver?s side door of our van, while Ellen pulled me up to speed. The Sifton ?A? cams were a little ?tall? for low-engine speed, so I hung on while Ellen got up to the top of first gear in the van, and then well into the van?s 2nd gear. When she hit 40 mph, she tooted the horn, and I dropped off.

(photo)
Foto by Freud, 1974

Immediately engaging the Harley?s clutch, I started the bike, and cruised along, letting the engine warm a little, for maybe 10 seconds, and then off I went in 1st gear. Shifting to 2nd gear at 7,000 rpm, maybe 75 mph, I could feel the Harley asking for more. It pulled up to 100 in 2nd, and then I made a ?slick shift? into 3rd. . In my heart, I knew this was as good as this bike was going to run. This was it. Dropping the bike into high (4th)gear, the Harley pulled cleanly and hard to about 6800rpm and 145.68 mph for the full mile .

We were over the existing record by almost 10 mph. Would it be enough ?

At ?the other end? we all tended to our
little tasks of getting our bikes ready to
return within the one-hour limit.

No changes or any new parts allowed, but we
could check chains and timing.

(photo)
YOSHIMURA. How do you compete with a team that builds their own chassis, and gets their engines direct from the factory.

Dale had gone down the track fast. He showed me his timing slip, and at 159 mph, he was a FULL 14 mph faster than my Harley. HE was about 25 mph over the record??..
Dale had indeed beaten me like a drum.

In those days, we were required to return in the order we ran down, so Dale would run first. He would get the record and it would be about to be the same as if Ellen and I never
even come to Bonneville ???.

This was not ?Campbell and Seagrave? stuff.
But I had hoped for just a moment in the bright sun
of a successful SCTA Bonneville land speed record??..

I was well and truly beaten !

Spanked like a bad dog???????

Waiting with our bike ready for the return run, we sadly started preparing the van for the trip home.

At this point especially, I was asking myself why I was doing this Bonneville thing anyway????..

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:23:26 PM by Old-N-Slow »