Author Topic: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am  (Read 15665 times)

Offline TheHardOne

E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« on: November 18, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
Howdy folks... Just staking this little piece of internet as a placeholder for a coming build thread.  My partner and I initially purchased an S-10 (Leatherneck Express build thread a few pages back) to enter into land speed racing.  We reached a point where our fancy new Ultra Shield full-containment seat with Bonneville halo wouldn't sit where we wanted it to without interfering with the existing roll cage.  After a little thought and discussion we came to the conclusion that if we're talking cage work (or whole new cage even), let's look at other platforms to build on.  We weren't so far into the S-10 to be committed to it... Enter the '93 Trans Am roller (clean car with no t-top).  Purchased dirt cheap from a Facebook posting, all there (save for engine and trans... perfect!).  That's mostly where it stands currently.

The plan for the near future is to gut the interior, have a cage installed, get all the other safety goodies, and get the dang thing running and able to go racing (competitive or not)!  We'll worry about turning the heat up later... for now, our engine, trans, and fancy seat need a home.  We're ultimately looking to run in the Modified Gas Coupe or Altered category.  So my first question... Who all do I need to include in an e-mail to open a dialog with tech about our plans and whatnot?  Christmas bonus is roll cage money so I'd like to get some clarification before we go talk to the shop.   :cheers:

Offline TheHardOne

Re: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
So to start things off, an e-mail was fired off to Lee Kennedy, Steve Davies, and Mike LeFevers based off of foggy memory from talking to tech at Speed Week 2017 and taking a guess based on looking at the rule book.  Christmas bonus time is around the corner and the car needs a cage... need to get stuff straight so when we finally bring something to the salt, it won't be the cage that fails tech.

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
Spoke with Rob @ Holzman Race Cars here in Wichita, KS Wednesday afternoon about putting a cage in the Trans Am.  He said they've done a few Bonneville cars, the first car they worked on being the blue Mustang Danny Thompson ran back in '08 (I think thats when it was).  My partner and I had a fun, informative chat with him.  They've built a handful of Bonneville cars so he's familiar with the specifics.  Good looking shop out in semi-rural Wichita.  He's booked out until March but my partner and I are thinking that's where we'll ultimately go.  We'll get the engine pulled from the S-10 project soon and try to get it ready to be sold off.  Partner said he spoke with our trans builder.  He should have the 4L80E done here in a couple weeks.  'Tis all for now.  Happy Thanksgiving to you folks stateside... to anybody else reading, cheers!   :cheers:

(I'll try and get some pictures uploaded here soon... We all love pics, right?)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »
Would that be the car that we saw Danny skating across the salt on his head a few years ago?  As I remember, the car survived fairly well...

We know that Danny did.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
Would that be the car that we saw Danny skating across the salt on his head a few years ago?  As I remember, the car survived fairly well...

We know that Danny did.

The way I understood it, the one that tried to take flight was a second car they ran in 2010.  The one Holzman took part in ran in 2008 and still survives today, nestled away in a collection I believe.  Not sure if it's still racing.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
Ah, yes.  I'd forgot about the second car.  Thnaks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Hope the holidays have found you well, folks!  It's been busy here, had the last week off work but down time has been sparse.  Here's a quick update on the car...

We're scheduled to go in for roll cage installation April 4th, 2020.  We decided to go with Holzman Race Cars here in Wichita for the work.  Excited for that day to come around.  We recently (Christmas day) finished gutting the interior... almost didn't get there though.  A dang bottle of whiskey appeared from nowhere and almost ceased productivity.  Thankfully we persevered and got the task finished!

Had a quick chat with Kiwi Steve a couple weeks ago about the car.  In the conversation, he pointed out our fancy Ultra Shield full containment seat with Bonneville halo may not be enough to satisfy the rule book... Those side bolsters on the halo may not be deep enough to go completely to the front of the helmet.  Going to need to get a current helmet and make sure.  Also said we need to check but will likely need to get SFI-rated foam for the halo... Just something else to problem solve and figure out a workaround to.  There will most certainly be plenty more communication between now and when we get to go racing.  I'd hate to make that drive only to fail tech.

Got some parts and pieces ordered yesterday for mounting our transmission and relocating the rear torque arm to the trans x-member.  Trans (4L80E) is still with the builder, engine (LQ4 - 6.0L iron block) is currently occupying a tire in the shop.  We're on the lookout for a K-member from a '98-'02 LS1 powered Trans Am or Camaro to simplify engine mounts and header routing.  We get that found and we can get the powertrain set in.  Still early on but we're chipping away at it... by spring the thrash will be on haha.

'tis all for now, folks...   :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
If you need to borrow a current helmet I have one with a crunch that you can use for fitting without fear of putting a scratch on it  :wink:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »
If you need to borrow a current helmet I have one with a crunch that you can use for fitting without fear of putting a scratch on it  :wink:
 :cheers:

Stainless,  that'd be great.  Unless your number has changed I can give you a ring when we get a chance to get back on things.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »

Had a quick chat with Kiwi Steve a couple weeks ago about the car.  In the conversation, he pointed out our fancy Ultra Shield full containment seat with Bonneville halo may not be enough to satisfy the rule book... Those side bolsters on the halo may not be deep enough to go completely to the front of the helmet.  Going to need to get a current helmet and make sure.  Also said we need to check but will likely need to get SFI-rated foam for the halo... Just something else to problem solve and figure out a workaround to.  There will most certainly be plenty more communication between now and when we get to go racing.  I'd hate to make that drive only to fail tech.

I have that same Ultrashield seat and during my inspection this past year they told me I should swap over to the SFI foam in the Halo area. Though it was deep enough on the side bolsters. Kind of odd since I ran the year prior with no comments. They put a note in my logbook so I'll be changing the foam for sure.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
All of which is curious as the rule book does NOT say the head rest padding is to be SFI rated. Just the roll cage padding. It would help everyone if they changed that rule if that's what they want.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 11:04:15 PM »

I have that same Ultrashield seat and during my inspection this past year they told me I should swap over to the SFI foam in the Halo area. Though it was deep enough on the side bolsters. Kind of odd since I ran the year prior with no comments. They put a note in my logbook so I'll be changing the foam for sure.
[/quote]

I found some SFI- rated stuff online the other day... can't quite recall the site I found it on though.  I'll get some ordered up once we get a helmet to verify dimensions.  Wasn't too horribly expensive.  Nice to know the side bolsters were deep enough.

All of which is curious as the rule book does NOT say the head rest padding is to be SFI rated. Just the roll cage padding. It would help everyone if they changed that rule if that's what they want.

Agreed.  I wonder if it's just specific to the bolsters or head rest and all?  Didn't think to ask when I was talking to him.  At any rate,  I'll just change it all and avoid any potential headache.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
If you ask an inspector ( or Steve Davies- chief car guy) the answer is: " our interpretation is....." Usually they make you change it on the spot, not give a year grace. Best to just go ahead and do it and save the aggravation.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
Racers, as our roll cage install date gets closer and closer I am looking into seats belts. What is everyone using? Latch and Link or Camlock style? Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »
I think is totally your call. The latch and link needs a Velcro strap over the handle so you can't accidently catch it with arm straps and open it (used to be piece of duct tape. No longer legal). That may be harder to get open with gloves on if you are in a hurry. Also I find it harder to get all the straps in the latch if you are trying to do it yourself rather than a crew member. So I prefer the cam lock where each strap can go in with whatever sequence you want and I find now I can do it myself as my old crew members have trouble leaning into the car to hook up. They do pull up to tighten however. I do need help from crew attaching the Hans ( or whatever your preferred is) straps to the helmet. Camlock comes open easily for fast exit. I haven't looked at pricing, there may be a difference. Anyway, my thoughts. Either works.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019