Author Topic: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am  (Read 15716 times)

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: E-5 Motorsports and a '93 Trans Am
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
The more confined your arms are the harder it is to use the cam style.  So it is a toss up if you have lots of room for arm movement. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
The more confined your arms are the harder it is to use the cam style.  So it is a toss up if you have lots of room for arm movement.
Stainless- do  you mean sitting in a very small cockpit like your car where elbows can't move out? Seems in that setting getting at either type might be hard.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »
Ours is actually a duckbill lever, so it does not get Velcro because it can't be accidentally unlatched.  The streamliner... way roomier had a cam... but it was hard because as you said the elbows were confined....
now if you had one more elbow installed in your forearm.....  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Spent some time on the race car yesterday... really need to try and make it a regular thing.  Too much time away from home due to work makes it kind of hard.  To start the day we got the engine up off of it's tire and onto a stand.  The specifics on the engine - LQ4 6.0L iron block, 243 heads, BTR oil pump, custom grind Comp Cam, ICT Billet water pump adapters and solid motor mounts... nothing too fancy.  We drained the oil out of it and pulled the pan.  It was then rolled it over and we were reminded there was still a touch of coolant in the block.  Darn... Since we had already made the mess, it was only logical to give it a brake cleaner bath and good scrub down.  Clean up on aisle 5.

Mr. ROKTSHP had picked up an F-Body LS1-type oil pan so our goal was to get it put on and get the long block ready to set into the car.  Pulled the windage tray, had a look around, then put it and the new oil pump pickup tube on.  Went to set the pan on and we got an instant no-go from Houston.  Upon closer inspection, the pickup tube didn't jive with the pan.  Didn't feel much like driving to Wichita to get the right one ran down.  We'll save that for next weekend...  On to other things!

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
Trying to figure out a program to re-size images and then figure out how to get it on the forum without anything pushing back has been a friggin chore this morning.  Finally think I have a formula figured out, onward to the second part of yesterday!!

After not being able to get the engine where we wanted to, we opted to finish gutting the car.  It was a nice day, the car doesn't have an indoor home yet so why not?  Goals for the day were to finish removing the harness, clean up all the miscellaneous hardware, vacuum the thing out, re-install pedal assembly, and get the factory column put back in.  The short of the long is we got all that accomplished...  Not too much that got in our way.  We have a Firebird hatch we tried putting on but it was coming apart at the seams and didn't want to work with the striker.  Back to the Trans Am hatch we go...  Plenty of discussion on wants, needs, and wishes for the car.  This message brought to you by Crown Royal Peach.   :friday

It won't be long before we send it off to get caged.  The pile of parts is growing, should have everything we need to get the engine/trans combo set in and start making sure clearances and fitment won't be an issue.  We thought of keeping the 10-bolt rear end in for now just for simplicity's sake but that's quickly becoming an issue.  Have to buy c-clip eliminators, axle shafts that'll accept 1/2" diameter studs, etc... Thinking we'll just have to buy once, cry once and get a 9" and be done.  Have to finish working out the details there.  That's about all I have for now, I'm sure you'll be hearing from myself or ROKTSHP soon...  :cheers:

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
Good Morning Land Speed Racers.
My question today is not about the racing part of bonneville. But my get around buggy. I have a Cushman that I plan on bringing out with the racecar. Do I need a permit of any type to operate this atv out their? I have searched online but all i can find is that Utah is atv friendly.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »
Good Morning Land Speed Racers.
My question today is not about the racing part of bonneville. But my get around buggy. I have a Cushman that I plan on bringing out with the racecar. Do I need a permit of any type to operate this atv out their? I have searched online but all i can find is that Utah is atv friendly.
See # 11. I don't know how you actually go about getting the permit. Someone local does I am sure.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/2b0387a695f81a80554f134994a12a82?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »
If it does not have a tag on it you need an OHV permit/sticker.  You can buy one on the way to the salt at most Maverik service stations in Wyoming and western Colorado.  If you buy it in August it is good through the next August. 
Stainless

Online salt27

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
I just looked it up.
As of 1-1-2020 Utah does not reciprocate ORV permits with any other states.   

Don

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
Hey, thank you to all that have answered our questions and made suggestions to help us on our quest to being participants at the Bonneville Salt Flats. I feel that this would be a lot harder without all of the help and support from our fellow racers.
So again Thank you. :cheers:

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
To yet another night working on the racecar. But we made some progress. it finally feels like we are moving forward. Instead of always taking something apart, the car is starting to come together. But the wife and I were about to get the LT1 k-member removed and the LS1 k-member installed. Hopefully we will be sitting the engine in the car for the first time this weekend.  :clap
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:29:10 PM by ROKTSHP »

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »
Howdy!  Hope the week has found y'all well... been busy for me.  Mr. ROKTSHP too.  We managed to find a few hours this morning to work on the car and made some good headway.  In lieu of writing a book, I'll just highlight a few things since our last update...

Car into shop and put on jackstands.
Rear-end dropped to remove gas tank before cage install.
Installed LS1 K-member from '98 Camaro Z-28.
Installed engine into car.  Screwdrivers in place of engine bolts until we can get the right length bolt (though I'm told those screwdrivers will contain all the horsepowers).
Bolted trans to engine to check clearances, waiting on Jegs to get the right crossmember to us.  Sometime next week... Hellooooo scissor jack!
Disabled ability to lock the doors on the car.
Re-installed rear end to facilitate ability to roll (handy, that is).
Ordered parts to convert car to manual steering through Midwest Chassis.
Lots and lots of tinkering (setting intake on engine, hanging manifolds, etc to check clearances).
Set containment seat in car to get a feel for where it needs to be positioned.  Will be mounted by cage builder.

We've unofficially dubbed the car Snowball... because race car and thats what it does.  So outside of that, not much else for me to update at the moment.  Gotta go get packed for the next week of being on the road.  Until next time...  :cheers:

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
more pics...

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
Hey all, quick question... at what point is header thrust something to ponder or am I just overthinking things?  Only reason I ask is we've got a guy who will build us some custom headers for our Trans Am and we've thought about doing something like Pro Mod bullhorns out the front of the fender, down low and angled back up to, in  theory, help keep the nose down while underway.  I've been reading and (internet) researching where I can and it seems header thrust really only comes up when talking about Top Fuel cars making tons of horsepower on nitro engines.  Eventually we'll be supercharged, hopefully making decent power, but for now it's just a little N/A gas 366" thing and will be that way for a while.  Just looking for a little info or maybe some direction on where/what to read and inform myself further...  outside of a couple threads here on landracing, I haven't seen much else.  Thanks!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
There are several threads here about that question. Whether it would be helpful is certainly debatable as you can see. Might be more trouble than worth and doing a proper A-B-A test hard for sure. Maybe you have seen all these so sorry if just a duplicate of what you know already.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019