Author Topic: Mary West  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Mary West
« on: November 08, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that I must let the LSR community know that Mary West passed 7 November 2019. 
For many years Mary was active with the USFRA and is well known to many of us....
Her obituary https://www.olpinmortuary.com/notices/Mary-West

GodSpeed Mary, you have joined a lot of racers up there,you will be missed
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Mary West
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:37:43 AM »
Mary was like the Queen Mother of USFRA for a lot of years & put a smile on many faces. She was even a participant in the great $hit-house-shoot at Lake Gairdner way back in 95. Peace ol girl!
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 02:53:26 AM »
We lost a wonderful person with a great heart....

...I called her always May West....and she had always a big smile for that....R.I.P. May

By the way....she was also in the K100 Club....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
This loss really, really hurts. There are some people you think will live forever and Mary was one of them. Sid, you are absolutely correct. Mary was Mother Earth to land speed racers. She will be greatly missed.

John

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »
A really nice lady, RIP Mary.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Hoffman Jr

• New folks
    • www.hoffmanmetal.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »
What a wonderful lady.
She will be missed
Harry Hoffman Jr

Offline datadoc

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »
Last week I attended Mary's service and she might have been Queen/Mother to us but at the service she was a beloved grandmother. I now only live one town over and I'm sad that I failed to visit her for sometime. My plan was to drive over in my 1956 t-bird with my 7 year old twin granddaughters this year to show Mary. You see my little girl (their mother) used to play and get dirty in Don and Mary's garage. I did drive to her service in the t-bird. Most everyone has someone in their lives that they can point to that helped them along the way. In my case Don and Mary changed my life. I'm now 78 but when I was 18 I first went to their house looking for a car part. They introduced me to the world of racing and to Bonneville in particular. Don gave me a key to his shop/garage and for several years I worked on my race car and race boat almost every night. From those beginnings I went on to win races as a unlimited hydroplane driver, member of the 200 MPH club, win poles and a race as a  NASCAR engine builder, and start a successful data acquisition company. I'm sure none of this could have happen without the West's influence. I also thought Mary would live forever so my real message would be to take the time to stay connected to your friends because you don't know when they might be gone.         

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »
Thanx for the loving tribute and great advice.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 07:06:27 AM »
Well, I'm surprised that only a few remember her...so special she was....very sad to see that

also not forgotten....her activity in the save the salt campaign....she promote it where ever she could...

Just in case....the fun behind the word game......     

Mary = May = Mae (West)

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)