Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42290 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
ERC has been the supplier at BMST the past few years. I think the gas classes use 110K, which is 110 octane. They also carry other blends if you run in fuel. Brings cash. Lots and lots of cash. I ran A-8D in a fuel class last time (120+ octane) and I think it was $40 or $50 a gallon. Can't blame ERC, they have to haul all that stuff out there just to fill dinky little motorcycle fuel tanks and they need to cover their costs. It's nice fuel.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »
Wow really, good to know I had presumed it would be 93 RON or something. Allows a bit more engine tuning with that octane then, hopefully will run in fuel classes too

Another question, if my bike is set up say for PPC or PCG can I attempt a PAG or PAF record without a modified engine? Or is it a case of you have to run in the lowest possible class?

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2020, 06:24:37 PM »
Yes, you have to run in the lowest possible class. So you would need to make changes to the bike that would force it into P-AF or P-AG.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
I'll list the fuels that VP plans to have at WF per a flyer I got from Ron Main.  You are welcome to look up the various flavors for individual specs.

VP 110

VP C12

VP C14

VP C16

VP MS100

VP TORQ DX Diesel

VP M1

Nitro 100%
We will have a very limited supply.
Please call Bill Lattin for more information  760 533 1932
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline roflhat

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2020, 03:37:15 AM »
Ah ok gotcha, so to enter an F class I can just run an additive in the fuel or a non gas flavour. Will the fuels at BMST be the same as the WF?

Then for an AG or AF classes I guess a billet head would push me into those classes?

Offline Chris V

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »
As for running AG or AF, When my wife got 3 records in 2013, one for P-PG two for P-AG and P-AF to alter engine I switch stock 32mm carbs to34mm carbs. in impound however the inspector never looked at what made it qualify as "A" class.  350cc 1972 Yamaha R5 
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline RaceEngineer

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2020, 10:56:17 PM »
At SCTA (and AMA)  events to ensure gasoline has no enhancements a racer must buy the gas (several octane ratings available) at the actual event.  The gas is added to an empty fuel tank and sealed with security tape.  This is witnessed by an event official. The tape is to ensure nothing is added by the racer.   If the tape is broken you are then by default in fuel class.  It is not necessary to actually change the liquid in the tank.  But you must do paper work at registration to change class.

Hope this helps

Don

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
Ah ok gotcha, so to enter an F class I can just run an additive in the fuel or a non gas flavour.

I had it made clear to me for BMST 2019 that fuel doesn't mean any old combustible. It covers the racier gasolines, methanol, ethanol, nitromethane, nitrous oxide and, presumably, water injection. I had planned to run gas with a shot of nitrous and propane. AMA says you cannot run propane. But you can run hydrogen. Go figure. So be sure to double check the rules for the specific event you plan to attend.

Will the fuels at BMST be the same as the WF?

Different suppliers (ERC for BMST, VP for WF), but similar types of blends.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2020, 03:14:25 AM »
I really can't thank you guys enough, this information is invaluable! Not used to folk being so helpful, or maybe just used to water speed records

The main focus is still the P-PC and P-CG records, but good to know I can attempt the AF and AG if I have time and will only require minor changes. Would be good to go after the P-P record too but that's 66mph, will have to see what my speeds are like first

Offline roflhat

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2020, 04:41:32 AM »
Engine is now tuned, couple tweaks to the exhaust, rotary disc, and barrel ported and the bikes gone from 9.6rwhp to around 12.5. Still have a couple things to do, need to do a squish test on the head, static compression is at 171psi at the moment. Need to get new chain and sprockets and change jets

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2020, 06:04:05 AM »
Point of reference is a funny thing - 12.5 rwhp - yup I would be happy to get that little bit extra in my 2,000cc car engine, then you tap the casio keys (other brands are available) and it becomes a 30% increase over what the bike had and its wow, that is brilliant.

Keep up the good work and lets all hope the gods of speed intervene in this virus business and some of us get to experience the joy ( :deal cromag  :? :-o :cry:) of trying to import a vehicle next year.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »
Pretty decent improvement, did some more jet tuning with the carb, new chain and sprockets on, a couple more bits to do inside the engine which I'll get done over the winter. Should be around 13.5rwhp when I'm finished I hope.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
A five gallon can of Sunoco race fuel was in the crate with the race bike when it was sent from Oregon to the UK.  This way, the bike used the same brand and type of gas for dyno testing and the race.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2020, 05:57:15 AM »
Didn't know you were allowed to ship fuels/oils?

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2020, 07:31:38 AM »
I am sure that is what WW planned to say to the customs agent ...."I didn't know you were not allowed to ship race fuels"  :?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.