Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42292 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
Pic in #73 with the engine in bits and a ball peen hammer ...... have you seen the Aussie biker movie 'Stone'?

Kawasaki Zephyr 900's iirc. Anyway - scene it that where the lead characters suitability to infiltrate the gang was assessed and his mechanical skills were referenced; involved said hammer.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
Not sure it'll be possible to attend 2 of the weeks, shame as I'd like to do a lot of runs, and from the programs I've watched that might be difficult seen as there are so many bikes.

Haven't watched that movie but I'll add it to the list, have seen The Worlds Fastest Indian over 30 times now. Was actually going to ask for recommendations on films to watch seen as I've so much time on my hands just now!

Offline roflhat

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »
Ended up in hospital today, when I was putting the engine back together yesterday I managed to stick a screwdriver into my index finger. A bit of blood, wasn't too bad but this morning it was painful, throbbing. Over to A&E, got antibiotics and finger all bandaged up but a red line started creeping up my arm. Bit alarming but hopefully sorted now.
Bike is already trying to kill me and I've barely ridden it!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
Ended up in hospital today, when I was putting the engine back together yesterday I managed to stick a screwdriver into my index finger. A bit of blood, wasn't too bad but this morning it was painful, throbbing. Over to A&E, got antibiotics and finger all bandaged up but a red line started creeping up my arm. Bit alarming but hopefully sorted now.
Bike is already trying to kill me and I've barely ridden it!

That sounds like the beginning of a nasty infection. Glad you started on antibiotics.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »
Not sure it'll be possible to attend 2 of the weeks, shame as I'd like to do a lot of runs, and from the programs I've watched that might be difficult seen as there are so many bikes.

Not a problem at BMST. You can get multiple runs in by the second or third day. Late in the week people are hot lapping.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »
Have you assembled the engine?

Offline comet

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2020, 04:09:22 AM »
The BMST event almost always thins out a bit through the week, a few days in and you will get your laps in. I always remember a few years ago the lads from Donnington hot lapping on the Wednesday. Are you still on here gents?

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2020, 05:01:35 AM »
Stone (ca. 1974) was made on a budget and preceded Mad Max - probably inspired it. In Stone is a character called Bad Max - the actor thereof went on to be in Mad Max (as Toecutter I think but I might have made that up).

Good luck with the creeping septicaemia / bacteraemia / Suzi-Q flu thingy.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »
What's hot lapping? like back to back runs?

Would like to attempt a record in a couple classes, I'll be more than happy if I get one record!
Engine is pretty much back together, just waiting on a new piston kit and small end bearing.

Red line has slowly creeped back down so hopefully that's the end of it

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Hot lapping - yup, you finish your run and head right back to prestage for another. Regarding multiple records and such, you can make the decision to add another class once you get there. The first time at the event there is a lot to take in and to learn, and you may find yourself plenty busy without committing to multiple record attempts. This will be my third year racing and I'm still chasing down unforeseen issues I would have thought easily solved the first year, e.g., it's my third year and this will be my third different clutch setup.

My first year I got a record. Last year I had to throw in a tired, non competitive engine two weeks before the event. I still had a ball, tried a bunch of new stuff out on the bike and actually learned as much or more the second year as I did the first.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
Sounds ideal, towards the end of Coniston in 2018 I was pretty much the only one still doing runs. Did the most recorded runs ever at one event at 18!

All the classes are close to standard, only minor changes between them and I imagine mostly playing with sprockets and jets.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2020, 04:04:44 AM »
Got the bike running nicely now, set up the carb, cleaned the exhaust. Will do until I can take it down to Mick Abbey

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »
That bike looks good.  They made nice and comfortable seats back in those days.

If you want to go further without spending big money, there is a lot of info about aerodynamics on a small two stroke bike like that in "The Racing Motorcycle" by John Bradley, Volume 1, ISBN 0951292927.  It is about aerodynamic changes to make it go faster with pictures and tables.  They got the aero drag coefficient down to 0.274 which is real good and a little bit more than half of what it was when they started.     

Offline roflhat

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »
Thanks, pretty happy with it now it works.

Is the book for this style of bike or is it proper racing style bikes? Not sure there's much I'm allowed to change much for my classes

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2020, 01:15:54 AM »
It was a 125 Can Am race bike, I think.  It was a long time ago.  This is a link to the first part of the article a lot of us read in 1976.https://badcurator.org/resources/Repository/Cycle-Sep76/Motorcycle-Aerodynamics.pdf  The changes would make the bike suited for the partially streamlined classes.