Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42384 times)

Offline roflhat

Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 03:16:53 AM »
Aiming for BMST 2021, been doing bits and pieces on the bike. New fuel line, fuel tap, got a steering damper and kill switch to fit. Still trying to get hold of the tires I want, think I've found a source though. Need to tape the headlight too, it'll look the part then. Almost ready to try get it running, then it'll be doing a couple things to the engine. Got another carb to use for the CG class record. Got some polishing done on the mudguards, came up pretty well. Looking at some Alpinestars leather, going for used ones. Then gloves and boots.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »
Looking good! I crunched some numbers and at the rated 12hp it looks to be competitive in production. As I pull stuff off my bike from last year and lament the amount of corrosion in spite of a very through cleaning after the event I'll suggest you think about waxes, anti-corrosion sprays, etc. while you have the bike going together. Worst places for salt buildup are front and underside of the motor, under the front end of the swingarm and everything around the rear wheel. Looks like you might want to get fresh paint or powdercoat on the swingarm to protect it.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
It was up there with the fastest bikes of its capacity back in the day so should work alright.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
Been trying to start the bike, has fuel, spark and compression but isn't going yet. Going to go over the timing next. Looks good though!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
I find 2-strokes very sensitive to gas fouling of the spark plug.  Make sure you have some extra plugs on hand.  I've also actually used a propane torch to make sure there's no gas down in the plug on my chain saws and weed whackers - - Dodge hard things to start and keep tuned up!  My Ossa (piston port timing) requires absolute flooding of the carb (IRZ carb, like Amal) including tilting the bike back and forth to get some fuel into the motor to get it to light up.  Bridgestone (rotary valve)  is just the opposite, as flooding will prevent it from starting easily.

Good luck, it looks great!

Tom
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:27:47 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 02:09:29 AM »
Have not looked at the classic rules but production bikes just need to appear stock from outside. Internal moids allowed, better piston, thinner gaskets, coatings , porting etc
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »
When was the moter last taken apart ?    Old dry crankshaft oilseals could be a problem and can suck/blow air on the ignition side and the same for gearbox oil on the transmission side, and will lack primary compression  its imperitive that these are in good condition or youll never be able to tune the moter properly.  Go little gp.  A shame you cant use a expansion chamber...these moters are very tuneable.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:48:50 AM by rgdavid »

Offline edinlr

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »
In theory you can use an expansion chamber if you can get the dimensions within the stock exhaust.  The muffler is pretty big, so it should be possible to split the pipe, add a chamber and seal it up again and either polish the heck out of it, or get it re chromed.  You might even be able to get away with just leaving it very dirty.  The rule is "no visible" modifications, so as long as dimensions, outlets etc. match, then you should be good to go.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
"no visible modifications" can be liberally interpreted if you ask nicely.  The canisters on Nancy's bike got opened up, emptied and re-welded to original appearance.

Well, not very original.  The inspector saw the ugly buggered-up welds and questioned them and I replied that "It must have been the Kawasaki factory's new guy's first day on the exhaust welding line and he used coat hangers instead of rod" - and got away with it!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline roflhat

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »
Cheers everyone, going to get the timing to stock and go from there.

The motor will be getting a full rebuild, and a bit of a tune at the same time. I'd actually thought of that very idea with the exhaust, thought it was a bit cheeky but I might look further into it now! Want to get the maximum out of it. Also thinking of going for the P-AG class, from what I can gather thats similar to P-PC and P-CG anyway but I'd be allowed a proper expansion chamber and a bigger carb?

Does anyone know if I can go for the P-P record even though it's a classic bike? potentially 5 record classes I could enter
Thinking
P-PC - standard(ish)
P-P   - as above?
P-CG - as above but bigger carb
P-AG - as above but also expansion chamber (not 100% sure if this class exists for 100cc)
P-AF - as above but any fuel

Offline Chris V

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
Modifing the exhaust visably ( chambers) puts you in "M" modified class
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline roflhat

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 02:21:45 PM »
Modifing the exhaust visably ( chambers) puts you in "M" modified class

I thought the M designation was for the frame being modified? does the exhaust come under frame?

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
I thought the M designation was for the frame being modified? does the exhaust come under frame?

Yes. AMA Bonneville supplementals, page 29 - Production (P) Class frames

Production class motorcycles
shall not be modified from original equipment at time of
manufacture. e.g., frame, forks, gas and oil tanks, seat, front and rear
lighting, fenders, wheels, brakes, air intake box and (unmodified)
exhaust system.

Section 5.D., page 32  - Modified frames

EXHAUST AND MUFFLERS
Length of exhaust/muffler assembly shall not extend past the rear
edge of the rear tire. It must be sufficiently anchored.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 12:13:30 AM »
About 45 years ago my friends cut apart Susuki 500 Titan mufflers and put expansions chamber inside.  Then they took apart the engine and did major work to decrease the crankcase volume and increase the lower end compression ratio.  They put a six speed gear cluster in it from another suzi, as I recall.  It was for an AFM production racer.  The work that went into it to keep it looking OEM was amazing.  It would have been a lot easier to make a modified bike.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification!

Liking this exhaust idea, managed to find this online - https://vanguardcycles.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/mini-cafe-sleeper-pipe-project/
I've done a bit of "hiding" modifications before, got a world water speed record in 2018 at Coniston