Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42448 times)

Offline roflhat

Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2020, 05:04:23 AM »
To be honest I hadn't considered the partial streamlined classes, will have to read up on the rules. There doesn't appear to be a record for MPS-CG in the 100cc class. Not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew, that would be 6 or 7 different records I'd like to attempt

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »
Simple front streamlining, like even a frame mounted front fairing, won't do as much as just adjusting your crouch.  I put a Norton Dunstall type of front fairing on the Bridgestone last year and only gained 1-1/2 mph (from 113 to 114.5 mph).  If you want to try partial streamlining, there are a bunch of things that I can suggest, but they involve completely changing your bike into a full blown race bike.

So keep it simple and remember to keep everything tucked in and get as low as you can on the bike and have fun!

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
What is MPS/CG?

There are hundreds of open motorcycle records to pick from.  You've only got to paddle down a mile or two.  What's CG?  A new category for you 2- (and 3-) wheeled guys to cherry-pick from?

(Just making friends!)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RaceEngineer

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »
Stan,
CG is classic/gas  (per 1981 motorcycle, NA, 100 cc in this case).  It is an AMA class.  I believe he plans to race at BMST (not a SCTA event). 

Regards,
Don

Offline roflhat

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 03:44:08 AM »
Might take a simple cafe racer style front fairing with me, if I have time after trying the other records I could always enter MPS-CG as well.

I have to admit it took me a while to understand all the class designations! Possibly there are too many, I know for the UIM Powerboat records they cut away old records frequently, keeping classes limited for more competition. But if anything they're too far the other way as it's already such a niche sport it limits the nunmber of people that turn up for records week

Offline roflhat

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:19 AM »
Simple front streamlining, like even a frame mounted front fairing, won't do as much as just adjusting your crouch.  I put a Norton Dunstall type of front fairing on the Bridgestone last year and only gained 1-1/2 mph (from 113 to 114.5 mph).  If you want to try partial streamlining, there are a bunch of things that I can suggest, but they involve completely changing your bike into a full blown race bike.

So keep it simple and remember to keep everything tucked in and get as low as you can on the bike and have fun!

Tom

Which class are you running the Bridgestone in? Do you have photos of it?
I don't know much about them, it's a Bridgestone that holds the P-PC and P-CG records I'm going for, seems to have similar standard performance to my Suzuki
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:46:53 AM by roflhat »

Offline roflhat

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2020, 03:51:39 AM »
Had an unfortunate, or rather fortunate incident. Was moving the bike in the shed and the handlebars snapped clean through in my hand. Just as well I wasn't riding the bike at the time.
Took them off and apart, the other side too and welded them up properly

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »

Tom

Which class are you running the Bridgestone in? Do you have photos of it?
I don't know much about them, it's a Bridgestone that holds the P-PC and P-CG records I'm going for, seems to have similar standard performance to my Suzuki

Mine is a 350 and I'm only running it at Loring, so Loring records only. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:58:36 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline roflhat

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
That's one good looking bike

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2020, 10:50:53 AM »
It sounds & runs as good as it looks, too!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline roflhat

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »
Anyone know whether I'm allowed to run electronic ignition instead of the standard points? No visible changes to the bike

Offline neandethal

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »
Hi, great to see your project coming together, im based in the Uk and have run at Bonneville a few times, and got 2 in the book, let me know if i can assist at all, cheers Ian

Offline roflhat

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:12 AM »
Hi, great to see your project coming together, im based in the Uk and have run at Bonneville a few times, and got 2 in the book, let me know if i can assist at all, cheers Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks very much! what classes do you run in?
Still in fairly early stages but would certainly appreciate if someone could have a look over photos of the bike once it's done to make sure it meets all the regs before I ship it over. That and advice on the shipping itself
Thanks,
Seumas

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2020, 06:00:20 AM »
Seamus
I am building a G/GL Lakester in the UK - aiming for SW 2021.
Ian provided me with some valuable info on shipping, application forms to DOT and EPA etc and I started collating that but its too far out to be submitting those and I went back to the build.

I am modifying my trailer (and car) to have space in a 20' shipping container (in front for a 'road bike' and on top possibly for a streamlined bike) - into LA - I was planning to create a new thread towards the end of the year for UK folks to contribute knowledge and expertise / lessons learned and see who was up for combined shipping - one 40 footer might be cost effective for several people to crate and load. PM me and I will share what I learned so far.
John
nr. Marlow, Bucks

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »
Thanks John,
sounds good, will send you a PM just now.

Did the safety wiring on the bike today, handlebar bolts, gearbox fill and drain and the two stroke tank fill.

Does anyone know what octane the fuel for sale at Bonneville is?