Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42283 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Would be nice to get it rechromed after the work is done but not sure if it's possible, going to look into it

Maybe run the bike on the salt for a week before you worry too much about how good the chrome on the muffler looks. It will definitely look worse after that.  :wink:

Offline roflhat

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2020, 01:36:48 PM »
Do you have a Haynes manual or anything like that for basic reference info?

Yeh got a Haynes manual for it

Might just use the scruffy exhaust for Bonneville then, save the good one for afterwards

Offline roflhat

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2020, 04:33:30 PM »
Does anyone know if you need a license to run at Bonneville? Been riding bikes for years but don't have a license

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
Rule M.1 in the 2019 SCTA Rule Book says you must have a current Driver's License.  It doesn't specify from where, nor car or motorcycle.  I believe some states & countries don't issue separate licenses, and I'm sure the SCTA doesn't know who or where any way.

I've been told you could step off a 100cc bike any time you wanted and not be seriously hurt any way.  I'm sure that's just an old wife's tale.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »
When I'm inspecting a bike for a new racer I did check for a valid motorcycle endorsement on a valid drivers license, and so did the other inspectors.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
Oh, well.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gowing

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
so... is this a rule open to the interpretation of the individual inspectors?

Online salt27

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2020, 01:12:47 AM »
Rule M.1 in the 2019 SCTA Rule Book says you must have a current Driver's License.  It doesn't specify from where, nor car or motorcycle.  I believe some states & countries don't issue separate licenses, and I'm sure the SCTA doesn't know who or where any way.

I've been told you could step off a 100cc bike any time you wanted and not be seriously hurt any way.  I'm sure that's just an old wife's tale.

7.A.1, does specify a motorcycle endorsement.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2020, 04:15:43 AM »
Now sure how the licenses work in the US but here it's split into cc categories. I'm planning on doing the basic one which allows me to ride upto 125cc here in the UK. Would that be sufficient for Bonneville on a 100cc?
Had a look through the rules but couldn't see the licenses mentioned, they even mentioned riders from 12 years old being allowed under supervision

Online salt27

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
We may have led you a stray, as the rules mentioned are SCTA and I believe you are planning on BMST.

If that's the case, I have no clue.

Don

Offline roflhat

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »
Ah ok, from what I gather from the BMST rules you don't actually need a license but I'll get the basic UK one anyway.
Looking at the records it seems there is no P-CF record for the 100cc, does that mean it's an open record? Could go for that too I guess, the rules state "Fuel class motorcycles shall have a positive fuel shut-off activated without the riders hand leaving the handlebars." Anyone know how to achieve this? Can I simply run the fuel line to the handlebars and have a switch there, bleed the fuel through?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:16:26 PM by roflhat »

Online salt27

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »
Pingle makes a cable operated spring loaded valve that a lot of us use.

Don

Offline roflhat

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
Pingle makes a cable operated spring loaded valve that a lot of us use.

Don

Cool thanks, looking at it I think I could rig something up, simple cable through the fuel valve that I can pull to put in the off position from the handlebars, think that would be good enough? Can make sure it's sturdy enough

Offline roflhat

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »
Got the bike running, not very well so stripped the engine down, changed the crank bearings and seals. Just waiting on a new piston and rings

Few other things needed doing, gave the engine a good clean to get 40 years worth of muck off

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »
The salt flats are subject to the weather and it might be a good idea to build for the regulations from the chosen event and the one after that if it is possible to stay over for a few weeks, or to come back again.  That would be USFRA legal for the World of Speed if the primary event is BMST.