Author Topic: 100cc classic production build  (Read 42401 times)

Offline roflhat

Re: 100cc classic production build
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
Thanks very much for that detailed reply! Didn't use it today but certainly good to have for future reference.
Went to work on the bike today, checked the spark and it was far more frequent. So started going over the wiring, thinking being that something had jiggled into place. Went through all the wires, putting silicone grease on every connection and tightening them up. Getting a healthy blue spark now, and consistently.
Put everything back together and it finally runs  8-)
Doesn't like low RPM at all, above 5k it starts revving on its own so tomorrow I'll clean the carb again.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
The skinny tires are to your advantage over wider tires. The skinny tires have less rolling friction and less air drag. At your HP, traction will not be an issue.
Good luck with the ignition problem. You will solve it soon.

Don

That's what I figured too, just wondering why a lot of the photos I see folk are running standard width tires?

Offline Gearfinger

• New folks
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
Thanks very much for that detailed reply! Didn't use it today but certainly good to have for future reference.
Went to work on the bike today, checked the spark and it was far more frequent. So started going over the wiring, thinking being that something had jiggled into place. Went through all the wires, putting silicone grease on every connection and tightening them up. Getting a healthy blue spark now, and consistently.
Put everything back together and it finally runs  8-)
Doesn't like low RPM at all, above 5k it starts revving on its own so tomorrow I'll clean the carb again.

I hope you are using ignition silicone grease and not RTV silicone which attracts moisture.

Offline salt27

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
The skinny tires are to your advantage over wider tires. The skinny tires have less rolling friction and less air drag. At your HP, traction will not be an issue.
Good luck with the ignition problem. You will solve it soon.

Don

That's what I figured too, just wondering why a lot of the photos I see folk are running standard width tires?

It's hard to find tires in the higher speed ratings in the smaller sizes.

Don

Offline roflhat

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
It's proper electrical grease, we use it on the connections on boats.
Makes sense about the tires, one problem I've now discovered is that the side stand is effectively too long, the smaller tires means the bike is closer to the ground so doesn't lean enough

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
It probably does lean enough, just in the wrong direction.  muutt
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »
It might be a good idea to remove the carb and pipe, plug the intake and exhaust, and do a pressure and vacuum test of the engine.

Offline Gearfinger

• New folks
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
Being that it's rotary valve, there should be only one crank seal and the casting that covers the RV to be concerned with when leak testing.

Offline roflhat

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2020, 05:07:28 AM »
Had a fuel leak from the base gasket, so took the head and barrel off, cleaned up all the surfaces and changed the gaskets. Bit better but still like it was, there's fuel coming from flywheel so probably the crank seal as you say.
Not sure if it can be done with the engine in situ but will find out.

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2020, 09:31:16 AM »
Usually..yes,  you can screw 2 self tapping screws into it and pull,  make a tube to fit just a bit smaller than OD Of seal to refit. The  trans side probaly is harderned aswell,   look at parts lists picture to see if seel has a lip , if it has a lip youll have to destroy seal to get it out,  with the new seal you can cut lip off and put in with some polyurathane sealer (sikafix windsreen stuff is good ) not silicon sealer because the petrol will eat it. 

Offline roflhat

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
Nice one thanks, want to get it running well before I take it to be tuned. Will be getting stripped down again then anyway but Micks time isn't cheap!

Got another cheeky idea, thinking of getting another seat and replacing the foam with much softer stuff. The idea being when I sit on it it's totally compressed and I sit much lower

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »
Good idea for the seat.
Looking at your standard pipe that has un upper and lower seam...its just screaming out to be split and a few cones to be inside and then seam welded and sprayed ht black or silver over the "old rusty chrome" that it had..lol

Offline roflhat

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »
Good idea for the seat.
Looking at your standard pipe that has un upper and lower seam...its just screaming out to be split and a few cones to be inside and then seam welded and sprayed ht black or silver over the "old rusty chrome" that it had..lol

:wink:
I'm going to have a look at the exhaust too, bought another standard one to cut open, the original is in nice condition so I'll keep that one standard. Would be nice to get it rechromed after the work is done but not sure if it's possible, going to look into it

Offline roflhat

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
How the bike looks at the moment, the numbers aren't on just added them on the photo

Offline Gearfinger

• New folks
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
Do you have a Haynes manual or anything like that for basic reference info?