Author Topic: Bloodhound testing  (Read 114233 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Bloodhound testing
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »
Thanks TD

Wow.

Slim, it?s Mr. H. Polloi if you don?t mind  aktion086
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:14 AM »

Offline noboD

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
628!! on Sat.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline TD

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
McGlashan claims a 638 MPH pass in Aussie Invader III in 1996, meaning Mr. Amos' list of six over-600 vehicles should really include seven.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »
628mph video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKvdcjSufZ8

"The team says the 628mph speed concludes the high-speed trials and it will now return to England.

Only six vehicles in the history of the land speed record have previously driven beyond 600mph. The six vehicles to have also raced above 600mph are Sonic 1, Blue Flame, Thrust2, Budweiser Rocket, Sonic Arrow, and Thrust SSC. Only Budweiser Rocket and Thrust SSC went beyond 700mph (1,126km/h)."

I thought Art Arfons Green Monster went over 600mph and he crashed at that speed. Is that correct?

From wikipedia:

In 1966, Arfons returned once again to Bonneville, but reached an average speed of only 554.017 mph (891.604 km/h).[citation needed] On run number seven[citation needed] at 8:03 a.m. on November 17,[citation needed] Arfons crashed his vehicle travelling 610 mph (982 km/h)[citation needed] when a wheel bearing seized.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:06:26 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
First, you cannot compare those vehicles which actually exceeded 600 mph in the measured kilometer and/or mile (and return runs for an AVERAGE speed) with vehicles which CLAIM speeds at some undisclosed distance with dubious timing by sketchy timers. That certainly excludes the Budmobile which made numerous bogus claims, which IHRA and FIM do not back up. They have no records of the claims. Their 700+ mph claim was a total fabrication, since the car was not actually timed, but speed was allegedly extrapolated (by the claimants themselves) from data derived from an uncalibrated and uncertified, as to accuracy, source. Arfons was actually over 600 mph when he crashed - and survived.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
CORRECTION! FOUR CARS HAVE EXCEEDED 600 mi/h VERIFIABLY:
Spirit of America ? Sonic 1 600.601 mmi/h (absolute world record)
The Blue Flame ? 630.388 mi/h (absolute world record)
Thrust 2 ? 633.468 mi/h (absolute world record)
Thrust SSC ? 763.035 mi/h (absolute world record)
Art Arfons in the Green Monster and Craig Breedlove in the Sonic Arrow CLAIMED 600+ mi/h achieved after running off course. Rosco McGlashan (I really do love that guy) claimed a PEAK 600+ speed (whatever that means) in the Aussie Invader 3. The Budweiser rocket claim is a total fraud (NEVER actually timed over 700 mi/h) and made several spurious 600+ claims over some (?) distance.
The Bloodhound CLAIMS their instrumentation showed 628 mi/h. Bid deal! The Blue Flame onboard instrumentation (calibrated by the U.S. Air Force) showed Gary a PEAK speed of 660 mi/h ? which we never claimed and means nothing in the LSR picture. Also NOT a big deal!
Bloodhound should be ashamed, at this point, comparing their test speeds to REAL absolute world land speed record holders. Their time will come, I am certain. Do they really need to make unverified claims to generate publicity? Land speed racing has had enough of these phony ?records? and other speed claims. If they are going to BS us now, why would we believe their later record claims? These PR claims only cheapen the real absolute world land speed records ? and confuse the public.

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 08:02:33 PM »
Is there a Land Speed Record Category of what your top speed was without the 2 way requirements and the distance over the kilometer/mile for those who don't know when they will achieve top speed or those with rocket powered cars that cannot refuel in 1 hour?
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2019, 02:52:45 AM »
Is there a Land Speed Record Category of what your top speed was without the 2 way requirements and the distance over the kilometer/mile for those who don't know when they will achieve top speed or those with rocket powered cars that cannot refuel in 1 hour?

No.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
FIA (and predecessors) have been the world body regulating automotive sport since the 1890s. The Absolute World Land Speed Record is the fastest world record irrespective of category or class. The fastest world records will be the standing start kilometer and mile records, the shortest distances. Regulations for vehicle classes and categories as well as record timing, etcetera, are contained in the FIA International Sporting Code. The first absolute world records were set in Europe over the kilometer. Later absolute world records were set in England over the mile. Subsequently, record attempts were timed simultaneously over both kilometer and mile, the faster being the absolute world land speed record. Thrust powered vehicles are classified as "special vehicles" and their records are listed in Category C. There, they are broken down into turbojet and rocket power. There is no record for "peak speed".

Offline TD

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
McGlashan claims a 638 MPH pass in Aussie Invader III in 1996, meaning Mr. Amos' list of six over-600 vehicles should really include seven.
Mr. Amos has updated the article and responded to an email I sent on the topic.  Rosco McGlashan also responded - how cool is that?   :-)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
A guy I know saw the vehicle at the Pan.
In his opinion it looked dangerous and he doesn't think they'll be back.

If the Bloodhound is your thing don't go picking on me because of what I heard.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »
The fastest world records will be the standing start kilometer and mile records, the shortest distances.

Flying start.